32 VU players named to SEC All-Academic team

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

32 VU players named to SEC All-Academic team

Post by BrentVU »

Feleti Afemui - Human & Organization Development
Tyrell Alexander - Learning, Diversity, & Urban Studies
Bradley Ashmore - Human & Organizational Development / Gender & Sexuality Studies
Bryce Bailey - Finance
Ethan Barr - Human & Organizational Development
Jack Barton - Human & Organizational Development
Ben Bresnahan - Medicine, Health, & Society
Cole Clemens - Human Development Studies
Nate Clifton - Medicine, Health, & Society
Pierson Cooke - Political Science
Ben Cox - Undeclared
Dan Dawkins Jr. - Sociology
Joel DeCoursey - Human & Organizational Development
Brayden Devault-Smith - Human Development Studies
Zach Drevno - Human & Organizational Development
Tommy Eckels - Human & Organizational Development
Allan George - Human & Organizational Development
Justin Harris - Economics
Christian James - Human & Organizational Development / Economics
Gabriel Jeudy-Lally - Human & Organizational Development
Cam Johnson - Human & Organizational Development
Ryan McCord -Computer Science
Jeremy Moussa - Medicine, Health, & Society
Anfernee Orji - Communication of Science & Technology
Michael Owusu - Learning, Diversity, & Urban Studies
Wesley Schelling - Computer Science
Gavin Schoenwald - Human & Organizational Development
Harrison Smith - Biological Sciences / Classical & Mediterranean Studies
Jonathan Stewart - Learning, Diversity, & Urban Studies
Michael Warden - Economics / Classical & Mediterranean Studies
Jared Wheatley - Economics
Max Worship - Human & Organizational Development

VU1970
Admiral

Re: 32 VU players named to SEC All-Academic team

Post by VU1970 »

Most of those majors didn't exist when I was at Vanderbilt. Then again, neither did "hot chicken" and "bro country."
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Let's see: 11 players on offense, 11 players on defense, 13 special teamers would include both punt and kickoff returner and both punter and place kicker (but frankly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone listed as Special Teams gunners, jammers or blockers; just long snappers and holders).

In any case, let's say about 35 positions on the team and Vanderbilt claimed 32 of those. Pretty darn good!
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

VU1970 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:35 pm Most of those majors didn't exist when I was at Vanderbilt. Then again, neither did "hot chicken" and "bro country."
I graduated in the early/mid 90's and the only two that as far as I can tell weren't around then are Medicine, Health, & Society, as well as Learning, Diversity, and Urban Studies. I'm guessing that the latter is probably the current incarnation of a Peabody program that was in existence then.

Hot Chicken most definitely existed during your time and mine, it just wasn't on the radars of most of the Vandy demographic at the time.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Well, there's at least some reason to be proud that six or eight are majoring in real subjects.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:57 pm Well, there's at least some reason to be proud that six or eight are majoring in real subjects.
I am proud of them all, whatever their major. Even if brought in by Peabody, the majors are better than what are available to athletes at the big state schools, in my view.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Yes, I don't mean to demean anyone's major. Just because someone is studying something I never heard of doesn't mean it isn't real.

And while I have no idea what "hot chicken" might be, I do hope I never ate it unwittingly. The liver and gizzards omelet at the Loveless Motel was close enough for me.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

NWOHDore wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:30 pm
VU1970 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:35 pm Most of those majors didn't exist when I was at Vanderbilt. Then again, neither did "hot chicken" and "bro country."
I graduated in the early/mid 90's and the only two that as far as I can tell weren't around then are Medicine, Health, & Society, as well as Learning, Diversity, and Urban Studies. I'm guessing that the latter is probably the current incarnation of a Peabody program that was in existence then.

Hot Chicken most definitely existed during your time and mine, it just wasn't on the radars of most of the Vandy demographic at the time.
I believe political science was there then. Pierson Cooke's major.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

VU1970 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:49 pm And while I have no idea what "hot chicken" might be, I do hope I never ate it unwittingly. The liver and gizzards omelet at the Loveless Motel was close enough for me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince%27 ... cken_Shack
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:15 pm
Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:57 pm Well, there's at least some reason to be proud that six or eight are majoring in real subjects.
I am proud of them all, whatever their major. Even if brought in by Peabody, the majors are better than what are available to athletes at the big state schools, in my view.
I have no connection to it but in case any of you don't know, Vanderbilt's Peabody College is consistently ranked in the Top 5 colleges of education in the U.S. -- alongside the likes of Columbia's Teachers College -- and some Peabody programs have been ranked No. 1 off and on. Prior to its acquisition by VU, Peabody turned out some of the best educators in the country -- and it still does.

Anyone who denigrates Vanderbilt Peabody and its programs reminds me of opponents who used to deride Vanderbilt for having players attend Peabody. Vanderbilt and Peabody have been great for each other.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

NWOHDore wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 pm
VU1970 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:49 pm And while I have no idea what "hot chicken" might be, I do hope I never ate it unwittingly. The liver and gizzards omelet at the Loveless Motel was close enough for me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince%27 ... cken_Shack
Thank you! I see that I did eat it (and enjoyed it) without knowing what it would come to be called.
Locked Previous topicNext topic