If Wade or Pearl coached Vanderbilt…

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Re: If Wade or Pearl coached Vanderbilt…

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:07 pm The root cause of Pearl's problems at UT was simple: he invited and had a high school recruit visit his home for a cookout with players. His major mistake was lying to the school and the NCAA about having the recruit over, and encouraging others to lie about it too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl Obviously it was wrong to do that. For those offenses, the NCAA essentially put him on probation and he was out of coaching for 3 years. In a different setting, that would be considered "paying his debt to society."

But I gotta say: if I'm a parent of a player, I'd like for my son or daughter to be invited over to the coach's home for a group cookout. I'd like my child's coach to show a little humanity toward his players.

I don't know what else, if anything, Pearl is alleged to have done at other places. BUT if the Knoxville thing is all that he's done, or even the worst he's done, I'd hire him in a NY minute.
it did not help that UT's president went to the NCAA and swore that Pearl was innocent, only to be shown the film of the recruit at his house. That lost him the support of the administration and he was left to the mercy of the NCAA. Some times you have to sleep in the bed you have made.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Pearl fell to 8-8 in the SEC his last season even with future NBA players Hopson and Tobias Harris and Jordan McCrae. And then lost in the big dance they didn't deserve to be in by 30 and had regular season losses to several small colleges. This all made firing him easy for uut.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 pm Will Wade was actually on our hot list and was in the final 3 when we hired Drew. I believe he coached at Franklin Road Academy and was well liked with local appeal, but fortunately we hired Drew (😂🤣😂😅) instaed!
He was the manager at FRA. I was manager at Lipscomb High so i thought that was cool when we interviewed him.

Managers do all the grunt work for basketball teams. They roll the basketballs out for practices. They hold the dummies up so that the post players can practice posting up against them. (One of the post players at Lipscomb elbowed me in the jaw when I was holding up the dummy. Ouch!) They shoot free throws in practice so the players can practice rebounding them. ( I was a pretty good free throw shooter, one time I hit 12 in a row. The players were mad because they weren’t getting a chance to rebound missed shots.) They bring water bottles to the players during time outs and breaks in practices. They keep the scorebook at games. It’s a lot of hard work but it’s fun if you enjoy basketball, which I always have.

I think it’s amazing that a guy who didn’t play high school or college basketball, but was a manager, has turned out to be a successful college basketball coach. But he has gotten in trouble with the NCAA.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

El NCAA no tiene huevos. Ellos han sido castrados hace mucho tiempo.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Golddore68 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:04 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 pm Will Wade was actually on our hot list and was in the final 3 when we hired Drew. I believe he coached at Franklin Road Academy and was well liked with local appeal, but fortunately we hired Drew (😂🤣😂😅) instaed!
He was the manager at FRA. I was manager at Lipscomb High so i thought that was cool when we interviewed him.

Managers do all the grunt work for basketball teams. They roll the basketballs out for practices. They hold the dummies up so that the post players can practice posting up against them. (One of the post players at Lipscomb elbowed me in the jaw when I was holding up the dummy. Ouch!) They shoot free throws in practice so the players can practice rebounding them. ( I was a pretty good free throw shooter, one time I hit 12 in a row. The players were mad because they weren’t getting a chance to rebound missed shots.) They bring water bottles to the players during time outs and breaks in practices. They keep the scorebook at games. It’s a lot of hard work but it’s fun if you enjoy basketball, which I always have.

I think it’s amazing that a guy who didn’t play high school or college basketball, but was a manager, has turned out to be a successful college basketball coach. But he has gotten in trouble with the NCAA.
What year did you graduate from Lipscomb?
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

In my view a persons values are set at a young age. They rarely change.

Pearl is a promoter, a salesman, outgoing and a very good coach. Yet, his values do not match those of Vandy's. He will cut corners and violate rules.

Wade is a low life in my view. He will do anything to get players. He is a cheater, I believe.

Throw in Cal. Not for Vandy. Cheated too many times.

So, while I like to win, it isn't everything. Character is so important to me, especially when guiding the lives of young male athletes.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

To your credit, many of you seem to differentiate between Wade and Pearl -- maybe one or two even agreeing with me that Bruce's "sin" wasn't a mortal one, that he's paid his debt to society as it were and is a great coach.

The rest of you should just admit that you mainly hate Bruce because he resurrected Ray Mears' orange blazers against rivals 8-) :lol:
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.27.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.27.35 AM.png (172.44 KiB) Viewed 3123 times

And then you should realize that if he were coaching at Vanderbilt, he'd gladly wear a gold blazer on visits to Thompson Boling and Rupp arenas.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Bruce Pearl was also the manager at Boston College. At one point he filled in as the BC eagle. He has done ok as well.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I think Pearl particularly is a very good coach, but I am not sure simply importing him or Wade to Vanderbilt would instantly generate the same results they get at UT or Auburn.
I suspect that some of their players would have a hard time meeting VU admission standards - and, let's face it, "Come to Vanderbilt, where you will have to work harder in the classroom and study hall, and if you graduate you'll have a more valuable degree" is only appealing to a small minority of SEC level basketball players.
Vanderbilt's different mold is one of the things that makes our team's successes satisfying. If you could import Wade or Pearl and the culture and priorities of their programs to Vanderbilt, we really would not be rooting for the same Vanderbilt.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am To your credit, many of you seem to differentiate between Wade and Pearl -- maybe one or two even agreeing with me that Bruce's "sin" wasn't a mortal one, that he's paid his debt to society as it were and is a great coach.

The rest of you should just admit that you mainly hate Bruce because he resurrected Ray Mears' orange blazers against rivals 8-) :lol:

And then you should realize that if he were coaching at Vanderbilt, he'd gladly wear a gold blazer on visits to Thompson Boling and Rupp arenas.
Wasn't his issue not so much that he lied to the NCAA, but tried to get a recruit and his family to lie to the NCAA as well? The rivalry was certainly lively when he was there, but he is sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners to get the best players. Without those players I don't know that his coaching abilities are any better than anyone else. In other words, I don't know that he does any better with this team than CJS has done, and I don't know that he knows how to get players in ways that are fully above board.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:42 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am To your credit, many of you seem to differentiate between Wade and Pearl -- maybe one or two even agreeing with me that Bruce's "sin" wasn't a mortal one, that he's paid his debt to society as it were and is a great coach.

Wasn't his issue not so much that he lied to the NCAA, but tried to get a recruit and his family to lie to the NCAA as well? Yes, my earlier post in this thread said his biggest mistake at UT was lying AND ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO LIE. The rivalry was certainly lively when he was there, but he is sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners to get the best players. There's been no further allegations against him, and having once issued a show-cause against him that resulted in him being out of coaching for 3 years, the NCAA would lower the boom on him if there were any more violations. BUT, you're accustomed to posting misinformation (see the "Gotta Vent" thread and others). Without those players I don't know that his coaching abilities are any better than anyone else. In other words, I don't know that he does any better with this team than CJS has done, and I don't know that he knows how to get players in ways that are fully above board. His team is ranked No. 1 in the AP Media Poll and #2 in the Coaches Poll. And recruiting good players is a key element of being a good coach.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:42 pm

Wasn't his issue not so much that he lied to the NCAA, but tried to get a recruit and his family to lie to the NCAA as well? If you look back at my earlier post in this thread, you'd see that I said his biggest mistake at UT was lying AND ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO LIEThe rivalry was certainly lively when he was there, but he is sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners to get the best players. There's been no further allegations against him, and you can bet that having once issued a show-cause against him that resulted in him being out of coaching for 3 years, the NCAA would lower the boom on him if there were any more violations. BUT, you're accustomed to posting misinformation (see the "Gotta Vent" thread and others), so you might as well do the same here. We consider the source. Without those players I don't know that his coaching abilities are any better than anyone else. In other words, I don't know that he does any better with this team than CJS has done, and I don't know that he knows how to get players in ways that are fully above board. Dude, are you aware that his team is ranked No. 1 in the AP Media Poll and #2 in the Coaches Poll. And did you know that recruiting good players is a key element of being a good coach. Carry on now.
I didn't disagree with anything you said. I'm not sure what you are arguing about. I'm not denying that he has the #1 team, or that he hasn't gotten good players, but just noted that his approach may not work at VU - that is all. And enough with this misinformation BS - since you weren't able to actually show where I misinformed on anything, that term is simply a way to ignore POV's that you disagree with. Very intellectually lazy IMO.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:55 pm

Wasn't his issue not so much that he lied to the NCAA, but tried to get a recruit and his family to lie to the NCAA as well? If you look back at my earlier post in this thread, you'd see that I said his biggest mistake at UT was lying AND ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO LIEThe rivalry was certainly lively when he was there, but he is sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners to get the best players. There's been no further allegations against him, and you can bet that having once issued a show-cause against him that resulted in him being out of coaching for 3 years, the NCAA would lower the boom on him if there were any more violations. BUT, you're accustomed to posting misinformation (see the "Gotta Vent" thread and others), so you might as well do the same here. We consider the source. Without those players I don't know that his coaching abilities are any better than anyone else. In other words, I don't know that he does any better with this team than CJS has done, and I don't know that he knows how to get players in ways that are fully above board. Dude, are you aware that his team is ranked No. 1 in the AP Media Poll and #2 in the Coaches Poll. And did you know that recruiting good players is a key element of being a good coach. Carry on now.
I didn't disagree with anything you said. I'm not sure what you are arguing about. I'm not denying that he has the #1 team, or that he hasn't gotten good players, but just noted that his approach may not work at VU - that is all. And enough with this misinformation BS - since you weren't able to actually show where I misinformed on anything, that term is simply a way to ignore POV's that you disagree with. Very intellectually lazy IMO.
You said you "don't know whether his coaching abilities are better than anyone else," yet he has a school not known for its basketball program ranked No. 1 and he took UT to its first-ever Elite Eight. So I think he's a good coach. You said "he's sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners" but presented no evidence of that. I don't think he's sleazy. So we DO disagree on those two points.
I didn't copy and past the Covid stuff you posted because it's elsewhere for everyone who's interested. You are right that we likely have different points of view. But as the very wise Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions..." and you know the rest. But it's all good.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Well, you said you "don't know whether his coaching abilities are better than anyone else," yet he has a school not long known for its basketball program ranked No. 1 and he took UT to its first-ever Elite Eight. So I think he's a good coach. You said "he's sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners" -- but presented no evidence of that (speaking of intellectually lazy!).
I didn't go to the effort of copying and pasting the Covid stuff that you've posted and that others have called you out on -- because it's posted elsewhere for everyone who's interested. You ARE right about one thing: it is a point of view. But as the very wise Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts.
Forget about him and his long-winded BS rants. Reality is that his knowledge of basketball wouldn't fill a thimble so that's why he attempts to cover that up by making horrendously long-winded posts that go on and on and on and on and on.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:39 pm

katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Wasn't his issue not so much that he lied to the NCAA, but tried to get a recruit and his family to lie to the NCAA as well? The rivalry was certainly lively when he was there, but he is sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners to get the best players. Without those players I don't know that his coaching abilities are any better than anyone else. In other words, I don't know that he does any better with this team than CJS has done, and I don't know that he knows how to get players in ways that are fully above board.
I don't like Pearl, and wonder about his involvement in the issues at Auburn, but I do think he is a better coach than you seem to give him credit for. He actually had success with Dane Bradshaw and Steve Pearl playing significant roles, which is no small feat.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:55 pm
You said you "don't know whether his coaching abilities are better than anyone else," yet he has a school not known for its basketball program ranked No. 1 and he took UT to its first-ever Elite Eight. So I think he's a good coach. You said "he's sleazy and probably will do anything to cut corners" but presented no evidence of that. I don't think he's sleazy. So we DO disagree on those two points.
I didn't copy and past the Covid stuff you posted because it's elsewhere for everyone who's interested. You are right that we likely have different points of view. But as the very wise Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions..." and you know the rest. But it's all good.
Sigh...He brings in players - that is why his teams are good - I feel the same way about coach Cal or coach Fulmer. When he took over Auburn they did not immediately become a tournament team - it took 4 seasons for him to get his players and even then when he had some five stars they weren't great. Without a doubt he brings in players - I am not arguing that, but i don't see any evidence that he would have done a better job with this year's roster than CJS has done. I'm not sure he would have done better with the players that CKS had than CKS did. This year's team is made up of four brand new transfers and a five star recruit in the starting lineup - I can envision no scenario where a VU roster would anyway resemble that makeup. And I feel no need to provide evidence what my opinion is - the guy is a proven cheater and has done so at multiple stops - maybe he is completely reformed, but I don't need proof to think that to be an unlikelihood. We know for a fact that recruiting is rather shady and that enforcement is really lax overall and yet CBP got about the worst punishment any coach has ever received. And now he is bringing 5 stars to a place where basketball is an afterthought while he has simultaneously completely cleaned up his act and is 100% above board?

As for the Covid stuff, my posts were very specifically related to the logic of not allowing in fully vaccinated students into the game while selling those seats to the general public. I was following the logic of the vaccine and testing policy set by the university and not making any comment on whether it was a good policy overall, but whether it made sense to exclude students and only students, that are required to be vaccinated in order to attend VU.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Thanks, Golddore68, I appreciate your reply because it’s really none of my business. I knew he was associated with FRA, but I didn’t know in what capacity. What struck was your “68” in your moniker which I thought might be the year you graduated from VU and we couldn’t be talking about the same Wade if that was the case. :lol: He was indeed the manager there and I found your post quite informative!
Last edited by Ndorefin on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

katmai wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 am

I don't like Pearl, and wonder about his involvement in the issues at Auburn, but I do think he is a better coach than you seem to give him credit for. He actually had success with Dane Bradshaw and Steve Pearl playing significant roles, which is no small feat.
I liked that move of Bradshaw, but it is the same thing we saw when CEF moved Bruce Elder to PF or CKS moved Dan Cage to PF. The main success he had early at UT was inheriting 3 seasons of Chris Lofton, who wasn't as highly recruited as Jenkins, but was essentially the same player. He likewise had a relatively bad season in 2011 despite having Scotty Hopson and Tobias Harris on that team. Stephen Pearl was a role player who was used in a very limited manner and was surrounded by 4 and 5 stars when he played.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

tl;dr
nli;co
8-)
Locked Previous topicNext topic