What a great game!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

What a great game!

Post by jeff93 »

Millora brown stepping up and Chatman’s calming influence really matter. Of course Scotty was ridiculous down the stretch.

Lynchsr
Captain

Re: What a great game!

Post by Lynchsr »

Agreed! First game in several years I enjoyed watching even as it went back and forth or VU was down 5-3 pts. I still find the one man drive to the basket offense of Pippen and Wright gets boring.

Was it me or was the best run of the game with both Pippen and Wright on the bench? (2nd half 10-7min mark or there about). There was ball movement on offense and better passes. No sloppy TO in that stretch.
jeff93
Lieutenant

Post by jeff93 »

Yep. I noticed that good run with Chatman and pippen on the bench. That said, this team is best with pippen, wright, millora brown, Chatman and stute on the floor. Stute is the most interchangeable (with dezonie most likely).
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Beat Stanford!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Lynchsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:03 pm Agreed! First game in several years I enjoyed watching even as it went back and forth or VU was down 5-3 pts. I still find the one man drive to the basket offense of Pippen and Wright gets boring.

Was it me or was the best run of the game with both Pippen and Wright on the bench? (2nd half 10-7min mark or there about). There was ball movement on offense and better passes. No sloppy TO in that stretch.
What was the key to the game (besides our ability to create turnovers) was that we stopped shooting the three ball halfway through the 2nd half. Our last three point attempt was at the 9:56 mark when Thomas hit a three. At that point we had gone 3-11 in the half from three and 8-26 overall. Scottie Pippen scored all 16 points the rest of the way and some solid overall defense led us to the win.

We were killed on the boards, but creating 19 turnovers (including taking at least 5 charges) was the difference - BYU turned the ball over on more than 1 out of every 4 possessions - HUGE. We really need Mann and Robbins back, but if they can get back, we might be actually looking at something.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

I'd be hardpressed to name a game that we played harder in over the past few years than this one. We just wanted it more, and that was refreshing to watch. I agree with Jason that the return of Mann and the (hopeful) addition of Robbins will create something quite special here.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Stanford is good but not great. KenPom ranks BYU head and shoulders better than Stanford. Stanford's win over "Liberty" sounds impressive on the surface but KP ranks "Liberty" at #123 in the nation. That puts "Liberty" behind Hofstra, Towson, Wagner.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:30 pm
Lynchsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:03 pm Agreed! First game in several years I enjoyed watching even as it went back and forth or VU was down 5-3 pts. I still find the one man drive to the basket offense of Pippen and Wright gets boring.

What was the key to the game (besides our ability to create turnovers) was that we stopped shooting the three ball halfway through the 2nd half. Our last three point attempt was at the 9:56 mark when Thomas hit a three. At that point we had gone 3-11 in the half from three and 8-26 overall. Scottie Pippen scored all 16 points the rest of the way and some solid overall defense led us to the win.

We were killed on the boards, but creating 19 turnovers (including taking at least 5 charges) was the difference - BYU turned the ball over on more than 1 out of every 4 possessions - HUGE. We really need Mann and Robbins back, but if they can get back, we might be actually looking at something.
Now, now, Jason, you know from all the experts on this board that the return of Chapman and possibly Robbins will not make any difference in our team. They have said that our transfers rarely do well and this team is so bad that these two will make little difference. I believe the quote I remember was "9-16 here we come again." :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

The main point is we can’t shoot. It’s remarkable how bad we are at shooting.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Agree, lots of heart out there. QMB was all over and SPJr, holy cow. Agree with Buffy we really could use a gunner.
Truly a team to root for. Let’s beat the Cardinal
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

That really was a great game to watch and a great performance overall. Especially on defense. Congrats to the team and CJS
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

This is a good win. A solid win. BYU was 10-2 headed into this game. With wins over Oregon, Utah ... Utah State is usually pretty good.

I'm not confusing BYU with a title contender or anything, but this is a good win over a solid team.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:15 am Stanford is good but not great. KenPom ranks BYU head and shoulders better than Stanford. Stanford's win over "Liberty" sounds impressive on the surface but KP ranks "Liberty" at #123 in the nation. That puts "Liberty" behind Hofstra, Towson, Wagner.

Why "Liberty" in quotes? Is this the dunce cap disdain thing?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

buffy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:18 am The main point is we can’t shoot. It’s remarkable how bad we are at shooting.
Despite the lousy start to the year for Trey Thomas, he is 7-15 from the perimeter in his last three games. Hopefully he has turned the corner. Speaking of turning corners, that sequence last night where he drove the lane, dished to the corner, and then the ball whipped around the horn through all four of his teammates to hit him wide open in the opposite corner was absolutely beautiful!

However, to your original point, yes the team percentage is strikingly low this season so far. You have to hope that it can only improve, though at this point the sample size is large enough that you would think we may be looking at the norm, unfortunately. I do wonder if Robbins returning would create any difference in the perimeter shooting. Having a more legitimate inside threat would cause teams to pack in just a little more, which could mean a fraction of a second difference in time required to close out on perimeter shooters; sometimes that makes all the difference needed for a shooter to put it up with less hesitation or hindrance. Of course, at this point I’m not overly optimistic at seeing Robbins back on the floor any time soon. I think he’s still in the boot.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

He is out of the boot.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:52 am
Why "Liberty" in quotes?
Without getting this thread deleted, simply google "Liberty University controversies" if you like. Or not.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:58 am

Despite the lousy start to the year for Trey Thomas, he is 7-15 from the perimeter in his last three games.
Thomas can forget the NBA style 'euro-step' move. BYU stuffed it like a Thanksgiving turkey when he tired it last night. Since the Memphis Grizz are on TV in Nashville all the time (depending on your cable or streaming), he probably sees Kyle Anderson doing it all the time. It works for Anderson because he's a 6-8 guard with super long arms, like a modern day JVBK.

Check out the top two on this list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmK0rjGerUE
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:27 am
Jason94 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Now, now, Jason, you know from all the experts on this board that the return of Chapman and possibly Robbins will not make any difference in our team. They have said that our transfers rarely do well and this team is so bad that these two will make little difference. I believe the quote I remember was "9-16 here we come again." :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Transfers haven't done that well recently, but not all transfers are the same. Where it was very difficult to see how a Larry Austin or Matthew Moyer would make any large impact, it is easy to see how Chatman and Robbins would do so based on their previous performances at others schools.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I have expressed real concern about QMB in the past. However his game seems to be coming around to the point that he is going to be viewed by opponents as requiring attention. He has pulled some key rebounds, picked up his scoring and drawing charges shows he is playing D with his feet and head. Would like to see Robbins on the court to give Q a rest and present what I suspect is a different look to opponents. Frank presents some beef but needs work inside on positioning and should never shoot a three ( .188 from 3 ).
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

OldDude wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:16 pm I have expressed real concern about QMB in the past. However his game seems to be coming around to the point that he is going to be viewed by opponents as requiring attention. He has pulled some key rebounds, picked up his scoring and drawing charges shows he is playing D with his feet and head. Would like to see Robbins on the court to give Q a rest and present what I suspect is a different look to opponents. Frank presents some beef but needs work inside on positioning and should never shoot a three ( .188 from 3 ).
QMB was almost perfect last night, outside of his rushing his opportunities against players that he towered over for the most part. had he been more patient, he probably would have gone 4-5 from the field instead of 1-5. If we can have him as a backup to Robbins, that would minimize the dropoff when Robbins is on the bench, and give us a very strong backup center. He is still stretched as a starting SEC center, but has improved from last season to the point where he could stand to be more assertive on offense.
Locked Previous topicNext topic