Taking a poll: Will Vandy win another game? Why or why not?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Taking a poll: Will Vandy win another game? Why or why not?

Post by BrentVU »

Answer in a reply to this thread. Seven SEC games left, including South Carolina, Missouri, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. Also No. 16 Kentucky, No. 17 Ole Miss, and No. 20 Florida.

And tell me why or why not.

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: Taking a poll: Will Vandy win another game? Why or why not?

Post by cc11316 »

No. I think a more reasonable question would be will Vandy finish an SEC game without losing by double digits? I think that losing an SEC game by less than 10 points is 50/50 as the chances of them winning an SEC game are about 10/90.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

I think we got a chance of walking into one more W. Not sure who or that it is for certain, but got a feeling the offense gets clicking for a game and the other team just doesn’t bring it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

With USCe and Missouri in Nashville, there is a slim chance for a win. If I had to bet, I'd say no, but the black and gold blood in me says Never say Never.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Not just No but Heck No! We cannot complete with SEC teams right now. Maybe some day soon!
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

anything is possible...but gosh our D is slow and our line play not very good either. Hence the only type game I think we'll be able to win would be a shoot out of sorts (filled by a fair amount of mistakes by the other side). Is it possible, sure. Is it likely not so much...even against Mizzu or USC.
On the other hand the players were so happy to win on Saturday night that made me think they are all buying into the new staff, so hope springs eternal.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Not a chance. The real question is if we can hold any of or SEC foes to fewer than 40 points. Or defense is sooooooooooo slow.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I'll bet we do.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

No because all the other teams simply have better/more experienced players.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

I say yes, and quite possibly 2. Missouri and South Carolina are beatable by anyone in CFB, on a given day. They're both very bad football teams. With MSU it depends on which team shows up, but if the bad version shows up, it would still be an upset of rather large proportions. No chance with Ole Miss or Florida, unless the staff of UF totally loses the team, and winning against ut would be only on raw emotion, which I haven't seen enough of from Vanderbilt.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

No unless we play a perfect game and one of our opponents self-destructs with multiple penalties, turnovers and coaching blunders. That could happen against Missouri, at SC and Mississippi State, but highly unlikely. I will say that the momentum right now on our campus is better than in Missouri and almost better than in the other Columbia, in my state. I would like very much for us to beat SC because at gameday a couple of Saturdays ago there was a SC fan sign in the crowd that read: "at lease we are not Vanderbilt."
Last edited by charlestonalum on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

What a difference salvaging the win Saturday makes. Had we lost this question would have been what is the first game NEXT year might we win. Instead the 3 losses no longer looks so bad with ETSU 5-0, Stanford knocking off Oregon, and GA throttling a a good team in similar fashion.
Also looking into future schedules for UCONN and Colorado ST to see if the Ws might look better. NONE of that happens without the win. We have lost to much worse teams than UCONN.
So from a straight up evaluation the answer is no. Is there a glimmer of hope now? Yes.
There is no scheme that saves us defensively. I will say that at least there were some bodies in the right zip codes for most of the game. This is an improvement. We could not make the plays but at least closer.
Ability to score and possess the ball might keep us in the game.
With USC and Miss ST at home normally that would circle those as the most possible. However there has not existed ANY homefield advantage in the past. Our best games for several years have been on the road.
But that was then as they say. Who knows maybe the shock of the morbid atmosphere could spook the unfamiliar. I mean Marshall-Donnelly-Combs across the street is more uplifting.
Shocker at SC has happened before.
With that I WILL watch every game anyways. Might as well think we will win one.
Yaaaaassss. Final answer
Last edited by belair on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

belair wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 am What a difference salvaging the win Saturday makes. Had we lost this question would have been what is the first game NEXT year might we win. Instead the 3 losses no longer looks so bad with ETSU 5-0, Stanford knocking off Oregon, and GA throttling a a good team in similar fashion.
Also looking into future schedules for UCONN and Colorado ST to see if the Ws might look better. NONE of that happens without the win. We have lost to much worse teams than UCONN.
So from a straight up evaluation the answer is no. Is there a glimmer of hope now? Yes.
There is no scheme that saves us defensively. I will say that at least there were some bodies in the right zip codes for most of the game. This is an improvement. We could not make the plays but at least closer.
Ability to score and possess the ball might keep us in the game.
With USC and Miss ST at home normally that would circle those as the most possible. However there has not existed ANY homefield advantage in the past. Our best games for several years have been on the road.
But that was then as they say. Who knows maybe the shock of the morbid atmosphere could spook the unfamiliar. I mean Marshall-Donnelly-Combs across the street is more uplifting.
Shocking SC at SC has happened before.
With that I WILL watch every game anyways. Might as well think we will win one.
Yaaaaassss. Final answer
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We play at SC not in Nashville.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

No. We are not consistent enough as a team.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 am No unless we play a perfect game and one of our opponents self-destructs with multiple penalties, turnovers and coaching blunders. That could happen against Missouri, at SC and Mississippi State, but highly unlikely. I will say that the momentum right now on our campus is better than in Missouri and almost better than in the other Columbia, in my state. I would like very much for us to beat SC because at gameday a couple of Saturdays ago there was a SC fan sign in the crowd that read: "at lease we are not Vanderbilt."
Didn't we beat SoCar in basketball the last two seasons with severely depleted rosters?

At least we are not South Carolina in basketball.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Some of the football power rating indices project that Vanderbilt will finish the season with 2.4 wins. I guess that means we have about a 40% chance of winning another game.
VU would probably have to have a net positive in turnovers (with some leading directly to Vanderbilt points) to beat an SEC team this year.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

40 percent chance of a win was my thought before I started reading the thread. Everyone seems to assess this similarly. A bad game by SC or MO combined with a very good one by us would translate to a win. There's even a small chance that one of the other teams melts down completely.

What kind of stats do you get when you combine our defense with MSU's QB, who went 46 for 59 on Saturday?
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:48 am 40 percent chance of a win was my thought before I started reading the thread. Everyone seems to assess this similarly. A bad game by SC or MO combined with a very good one by us would translate to a win. There's even a small chance that one of the other teams melts down completely.

What kind of stats do you get when you combine our defense with MSU's QB, who went 46 for 59 on Saturday?
Well it is improbable that he could throw many MORE times.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think our best chance of winning a game is Mizzou. They have a horrendous defense. Ours is a little better. Our offense seems to be improving. That game is at home. We might be able to scrape out a win.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic