Field appearance

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Field appearance

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

I know it may take a while to improve team performance or obtain stadium upgrades, but can't we do something about how our field looks? I realize it was a dreary night, but on TV the field appeared tired and shopworn - particularly compared to other schools. It shouldn't cost too much to repaint the end zones and Star V. It would also send the message we still care about our team.

CrimeDore
Captain

Re: Field appearance

Post by CrimeDore »

The stadium looks really dark on TV too.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

That observation has been echoed by everybody I know that has seen it in TV. I mean Krylon Fusion rattle cans wouldn’t look worse. The night club effect lighting is not setting the right “mood”.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can't really paint that turf. The color is embedded in the fibers. If you painted it, it would be a mess. They'll need a whole new turf and that ain't happening during the season.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I agree with Don about painting the turf. I don’t think that’s something that would work out correctly.

Is it a lighting issue? In person everything seems to be lit up enough but somehow that doesn’t translate to the TV cameras. Do we need more lights / brighter lights? Agree it comes across too dim on television.

BTW hilarious joke about night club mood lighting. We need bright @$$ honky-tonk neon lighting!
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Also I am not totally sure if I am remembering correctly but I seem to believe espn brought in a couple light trucks when we hosted Gameday and were a prime time game. Granted that was more than a few years ago (and more than a few beers ago)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

IIRC correctly the lighting was improved after CJF arrived, but the stadium is still too dark on television. The quality of production and transmission has rapidly outpaced the quality of the lighting at the venue.

About the same time that CJF started on West End, I suggested to his staff that the end zone design needed to be immediately recognizable as Vanderbilt, and that's when the switch was made to the current design. (Yes, I apparently have that kind of power.) Here's the old design: Image.

It definitely needs a "new coat of paint" (even if that means having to replace the turf, although you wouldn't think that requires having to replace the entire field--teams change end zone design all the time).
Locked Previous topicNext topic