Tennessean asks: Why has Ken Seals regressed as a sophomore?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Tennessean asks: Why has Ken Seals regressed as a sophomore?

Post by BrentVU »

thefan
Captain

Re: Tennessean asks: Why has Ken Seals regressed as a sophomore?

Post by thefan »

New coaching staff and more expectation as a sophomore than freshman. Some very good quarterbacks have struggled greatly at Vandy until the middle of their sophomore year of play. Defensive lines breathing down your throat and not allowing time to look down field and set to throw just might be a cause. I remember fans telling me that Shurmur would never make it!
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

Film. poor staff
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Maybe because half the pass play calls are 7 yd out patterns ( When we need 10 of course) that are not only heavily defended but uncatchable heaters?
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Indeed, the fact that the defense knows exactly what's coming isn't helping Seals. We shall see this week how often we throw bullet passes on slants with defenders hanging over the receiver 3 yards in front of the sticks.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Some on this board complained that too many of our plays were deep passes or were passes to wideouts. OK, fair enough.

So, how do we compensate? Through short passes. Now, complaints about that. Which is it? Short or long, none of the passing game works? Oh, our running game is non-existent since the loss of our stud running back.

I truly have now idea what we can do to improve our passing game. Experts step in to enlighten us.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

This VU Hustler "mailbag" article asks, when would be the right time to give Wright a start, plus some other burning questions...

https://vanderbilthustler.com/42735/fea ... ck-change/
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

LawoftheWest wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 am Some on this board complained that too many of our plays were deep passes or were passes to wideouts. OK, fair enough.

So, how do we compensate? Through short passes. Now, complaints about that. Which is it? Short or long, none of the passing game works? Oh, our running game is non-existent since the loss of our stud running back.

I truly have now idea what we can do to improve our passing game. Experts step in to enlighten us.
I'm not worried. Our non play calling OC is spending multiple hours a day drawing up new plays and designing our offense.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Doreknox wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:59 am
LawoftheWest wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 am Some on this board complained that too many of our plays were deep passes or were passes to wideouts. OK, fair enough.

I'm not worried. Our non play calling OC is spending multiple hours a day drawing up new plays and designing our offense.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I know that we're talking Big Boy Football here -- and there are few tender mercies anymore -- but can you imagine how Seals feels seeing those articles. Ouch.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

BrentVU wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 am This VU Hustler "mailbag" article asks, when would be the right time to give Wright a start, plus some other burning questions...

https://vanderbilthustler.com/42735/fea ... ck-change/
Consistently impressed by the VU kids who do the sports stuff at the Hustler. Good questions. Thoughtful answers that are coherent and well put together.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 am Some on this board complained that too many of our plays were deep passes or were passes to wideouts.
I'm no expert here. I think the answer, in the tradition of CJF, is to go with what's working until it's not working and then try something else. In the CSU game, the short passing game started working, from late in the second quarter until late in the third. CSU then started sitting on it, and it hasn't really worked since. We probably need to mix in some longer passes (accepting that the lack of protection makes that difficult) and have Seals throw while rolling out more, which is something he did fairly well with last year.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

This forum is obsessed with rolling out the QB and "using more misdirection" and misses the critical aspect of everything in the universe.

No one on the team is Power5 good.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

bernstml19 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pm This forum is obsessed with rolling out the QB and "using more misdirection" and misses the critical aspect of everything in the universe.

How far in the deep space of the Universe did you travel for that information?
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

belair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:58 pm
bernstml19 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pm This forum is obsessed with rolling out the QB and "using more misdirection" and misses the critical aspect of everything in the universe.

Don't do this. Don't just beat up people. Everyone wants a good team. Our current situation can't be boiled down to one or two things. It's a whole list of problems. It's not gonna be fixed quickly. Our personal options are limited: have patience or direct your attention elsewhere for now. Anything else is foolishness.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

belair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:58 pm

I actually just had to watch last week's game. Can't "roll out the QB" when nobody blocks, nobody's open and you can neither run nor throw efficiently.
Locked Previous topicNext topic