Let's talk about altitude

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Let's talk about altitude

Post by BrentVU »

I'm in Colorado. I took two spectacular mountain hikes today, one at about 13,000 feet, another at about 10,000 feet-- and let me tell you, altitude is a thing. Some people insist that it's more mental than physical, that well-conditioned teams just play through it. Naw, dog. If you're coming in unaccustomed to it, you better have a plan to deal with it.

Sounds like Lea's plan is to substitute liberally. Last week Vandy played the same five offensive linemen the whole game, and the same three receivers for most of the game. I would think that would have to change this week, particularly if the OC is going to go with a lot of "fastball" (hurry-up).

The other thing I've noticed that may be overlooked is how dry it is. The last two days the highs have been in the 90's, and I find myself drying out quickly, as opposed to the summer humidity of the South.

Like everything else, you know Lea has thought it through and has a plan. Joey Lynch, who coached last year at CSU, should know a few things about it. But some of you who are familiar with Colorado and mile-high conditions, what would you advise?

JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Re: Let's talk about altitude

Post by JWCommodore »

I advise keeping yourself properly hydrated by visiting New Belgium's brewery in Ft Collins.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Got bad altitude sickness back in the 70s backpacking up to Snowmass Lake (elev about 11,000 ft) when I was in good shape and backpacked a fair amount. Thought I was going to flipping die (hyperbole alert); altitude can kick your butt. Maybe a "hurry up" approach is not a good idea and might be better to reduce number of plays. Suspect CSU may try to speed the game in hopes of tiring us given not being used to the altitude.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Didn't seem to bother their FBS opponent last week.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VU1970 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:07 pm Didn't seem to bother their FBS opponent last week.
Valid point as elevation in Ft. Collins is only 5,000 (lower than a lot of peaks in the Smokies ).
VUadmiral
Commander

Post by VUadmiral »

It takes about 36 hours to get reasonably acclimated to the altitude. That means you are about 90% of full endurance after that long. The remainder takes several more days to get there but the initial jump is close in that time.
I hope that we play better this weekend and don't let this be another anchor to carry in our mind.

The Admiral
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

For what it's worth, took my family to Western Colorado this summer and we did several hikes at above 11,000 feet, at Grand Mesa. We were all fine, including my 12 year old son, although we did have a hard time getting around the snowbanks.

Also... it's a long flight and the game starts pretty late and will be going way past midnight.

So that's at least 3 more excuses for bad play than they had last week.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

For endurance sports, most of the science I've seen says it can take up to a week to be get fully acclimated. People who live up there still have an advantage and people who grow up at altitude have an even greater advantage.
If you can't spend a week, some of the studies say a shorter time is actually better - the worst effects hit after 24-36 hours. Get there, do your thing, and go home - or go there, spend a week, then do your thing.
There is less effect on anaerobic burst performance than on endurance. Acclimated athletes will have significantly shorter recovery time so the substitution plan makes sense. After a TV time out etc my guess would be everyone would be ready for the next play.
The worst scenario would be if Colorado State gets on a roll and goes no huddle - no recovery time between plays, and the same VU defenders get stuck out on the field.

The offense can control their own pace so should not be too bad.

Vanderbilt's D would do well to inflict a lot of 3-and-outs on the CSU offense.
Like a lot of things, better is better in mtiple ways.
If things go badly the badness can multiply.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

We used to see oxygen used on the sidelines a lot, now not so much.

I hope we do have access to it for this game. Might be more psychological than not. Plus not sure if COVID
restrictions would limit its use
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

We used to see oxygen used on the sidelines a lot, now not so much.

I hope we do have access to it for this game. Might be more psychological than not. Plus not sure if COVID
restrictions would limit its use
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vanderbilt didn't arrive this evening into Denver until around 6:30 pm Mountain Time. Not much time to get acclimated.

And yes, it's very warm and dry here in the town named after Joan Collins on television's Dynasty.

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I bave just now gotten ack from Jackso Nolw, WY, elevation 7,250. The first three days I literally sucked wind with every activity. By day three it was much better, but there is definitely something to it. Now I am 65 and there is a lot of difference in an overweight 65 year old and a 20 year old athlete, but if it gives the home team even a slight advantage that is huge. Hope we are ready.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Will this be our built-in excuse if we lose?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

YAIS! I already claim it!
Locked Previous topicNext topic