VU vs MSU #3 ---- Let's win it!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: VU vs MSU #3 ---- Let's win it!

Post by OldDude »

Going to be a very long off season for players and coaches.

Time to head for the buses.

wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

No hits… errors…just a pitiful performance…disappointing…I don’t mind losing if there’s effort but it truly looks like this team has given up. Shocked at that.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Playing badly, but when an inning ending strike-'em-out, throw-'em-out DP instead becomes a 3-run HR...
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

roanoke wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:53 pm I love this team. They have brought us a lot of joy this year. I especially appreciated it.

It is just sad not to play your best on the grand stage.
That's being very kind. Would have rather lost that game to Stanford and been done with it. It's been a miserable week since then. Feel bad for all the players to have to endure this.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

We deserve to lose, but that ump deserves to never call another game.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

We finally mqke a good play - and the ump negates a strikem out throwem out double play... The batter was headed to the dugout and CJ looked baffled. A three run homer follows. 9-0. All you can do is smile at this point. Not our night.

And we are being no-hit. I do hope we can break that up at least.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:15 pm Got to be kidding me. So instead of out of the inning with the throw out at second and a potential strikeout they get the 3 run bomb. Ump doesn’t need to do them favors for the love of God...
Relax. It's inconsequential at this point. Doesn't matter is we get shutout, if we go hitless, etc. It goes on the books as an "L", and whether you lose by 1 run or 20 doesn't really matter. What matters is the nightmarish vision of the 2022 squad without Rocker and Leiter. Yikes!
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

This idea of letting Bednar warm up and then replace him is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
accent grave over the e
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

Wasn’t Bednar one of the Coneheads?

A Conehead no hit us?
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Unless I'm remembering it wrong, MSU got a hit on Rocker's first pitch of the game, right?

That was when I got a sick feeling about this game, but my worst pessimistic thought then couldn't compare to what we have now.

This is like watching your team lose 73 to 0 in the football championship game, or 120 to 41 in the college basketball championship game.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

This can sometime happen when expectations are this high. We expect them to get to the CWS every year. Some years, they’re not the best team. Ask Miss. St. This is their 12TH trip and they’re finally going to get the trophy We’ve been spoiled.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

On the one hand it is pretty impressive that this team made it all the way to a CWS finals game 3 despite the season's injuries and the more recent batting avg slump and errors, etc. Our presence here shows some grit and good coaching.

On the other hand, it stinks to play so poorly these last two nights and especially tonight. Did the situation just get into our collective heads? Did we run out of gas? Did we meet just one to many great and deep teams -- MSU is a great team, and they have outplayed us, and have been well coached. Feel bad for our boys, but they've had a great season.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

He was mostly good in the other game (we benefited from a ball 4 that he called a strike most of the game) but Costello has a bad reputation. Now we see why.

He’s made bad calls against both teams tonight but that one reversed two outs. He is lucky this game was already over or we’d be talking about that call for a long time.

It’s been a great year but I wish a full strength NC St had put us out of our misery. Time to watch or listen to something else.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Re: Conehead

Post by TnValleyDore »

Beldar
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

EagleDore wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm On the one hand it is pretty impressive that this team made it all the way to a CWS finals game 3 despite the season's injuries and the more recent batting avg slump and errors, etc. Our presence here shows some grit and good coaching.

On the other hand, it stinks to play so poorly these last two nights and especially tonight. Did the situation just get into our collective heads? Did we run out of gas? Did we meet just one to many great and deep teams -- MSU is a great team, and they have outplayed us, and have been well coached. Feel bad for our boys, but they've had a great season.
Pretty much agree except for the hitting coaching. Seems the offense was slipping late in the season and didn't show any adjustment that I could see (again stressing that I am no baseball guru).
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

roanoke wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:17 pm We finally mqke a good play - and the ump negates a strikem out throwem out double play... The batter was headed to the dugout and CJ looked baffled. A three run homer follows. 9-0. All you can do is smile at this point. Not our night.

And we are being no-hit. I do hope we can break that up at least.
Not that it matters at this point, but the strike 3 call on Keegan was nowhere as near the strike zone as the ball 4 call on the non-DP. That's this game in a nutshell.
wbl
Rear Admiral

Re: Conehead

Post by wbl »

TnValleyDore wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:27 pmBeldar
Yep was trying for a moment of levity in this nightmare.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Bare hand attempt ?!? Hot dog stuff.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Bad way to end up, but two titles, two runner ups in 7 years is great. And no telling how far the 2020 team would have gone, Rocker, Leiter, and Hickman as SP, solid BP, and Austin Martin. With the number of injuries we had this year, pitchers lost, Ethan Smith, Keegan, Thomas, Young, Kowalczk all missing time and all not as effective after they came back. And we are back in the finals. And arguably the #1 recruiting class for next year
Last edited by Minoadoc on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

This will go down as the worst performance in cws finals history
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic