VU vs MSU #3 ---- Let's win it!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: VU vs MSU #3 ---- Let's win it!

Post by fldore »

Games over. We needed Rocker to pitch another gem and I think he was just too out of gas. Lousy defense didn't help.

We desperately needed out pitching to keep state to 1 or 2 runs to have any chance. Our offense has completely collapsed here in Omaha. Signs were there earlier but it's a total train wreck now.

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I'm not saying this in an ornery way: it is a fact. MSU batters are getting two strike singles. They are swinging for them. We are not protecting the plate with two strikes - we are swinging without discipline.

But more importantly, we cannot make a basic play in the field. Ground ball to short. Ground ball to second - both of the last two innings started with errors that were scored as hits. Double play ball not executed in the first gave them the momentum.

MSU has not made an error in the entire world seriers. More importantly they are making good plays in the field. Regularly. It is actually amazing we are within five and I am not conceding yet because it's possible MSU gets cocky. But they are playing above potential. We are playing way below potential. So far.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

That struggle vs hapless North Alabama was a hint something like last night and tonight could be in the cards when we played somebody really good. Second time we finished second after winning it all.

I hope Doolin and Hlibokie and Garrett are the real deal pitching when they get back. We will need them.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Agree with what was said earlier: we look like we don’t belong here.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Let's face it. We are NOT the 2nd best team in Omaha. NC State would have kicked our butts if COVID had not intervened.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Losing the Vandyboy karma. MSU mantra for the post season is "its our time" Ours seems to be "don't blow it"
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Does it seem like we could work our situation better ? Seems down 5 that getting runners on base a little more important than trying to kill everything. I mean how many deep balls will find the gap or clear the fence ?
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I love this team. They have brought us a lot of joy this year. I especially appreciated it.

It is just sad not to play your best on the grand stage.
HaveAGood
Seaman Recruit

Post by HaveAGood »

Just hoping we don’t get no hit at this point. This is really hard to watch.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Of course Vanderbilt belongs here. Playing poorly? Well duh! But this team has figured out ways to win when it looked bleak. Regardless of the outcome, I'm celebrating this team who has figured out a way to be playing in the last game of the year.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

commadore wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 pm If this pitcher throws 200 pitches, do you think we might eventually get a hit off him?
Not a chance. Our guys still haven't figured out he's starting righties out with fastball on first pitch (mostly) and starting lefties out with the slider (almost every time)
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 pm I wonder how many innings it would take this lineup to score 5 runs? Or get 5 hits?
If we just continuously batted against their pitchers? By my calculations the number is... by Sunday.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

This is just surprising to me. Never thought Miss. State was the team. We took care of them in Nashville and if Lieter had not been worn out we would have swept them.
Then at Hoover MSU was pitiful.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

The biggest misplay was when Rocker threw a double play ball into centerfield. If we get out of that inning scoreless ... but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts ...
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

And Bradfield didn't even run that hard to first base. The team has given up.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Bednar has certainly outperformed Rocker , but Bednar had the advantage of pitching against our offense.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Had to start watching late and watched it on recording...caught up now...ughhh. Right now my first thought is this:
HaveAGood wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:53 pm Just hoping we don’t get no hit at this point. This is really hard to watch.
The errors and walks have spotted them what must be an insurmountable lead with the way our guys are batting. The better team is winning. They're putting on a defensive clinic. They're showing how to bat effectively. Bednar is excellent, but we're making him look even better.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

roanoke wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:53 pm I love this team. They have brought us a lot of joy this year. I especially appreciated it.

It is just sad not to play your best on the grand stage.
Amen, well said.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Got to be kidding me. So instead of out of the inning with the throw out at second and a potential strikeout they get the 3 run bomb. Ump doesn’t need to do them favors for the love of God...
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

at least the game started at 6p, so I don't have to stay late for this
@AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic