Not as much attention for the Whistlers this year

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Not as much attention for the Whistlers this year

Post by cc11316 »

It is loud but I have become so accustomed to it over the years, I think of it has an advantage and kind of mentally clap with the whistle beat. The best part is how much the other fans - especially UT - hate the whistler and many say they can't listen to the game. Oh no - a UT fan who refuses to watch Vanderbilt play baseball, how sad. :lol:

Anyway, keep it up. I'll turn the TV up and really enjoy the future game(s) as the opposing fans and ESPN just cringe.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Not as much attention for the Whistlers this year

Post by geeznotagain »

I still find them annoying as hell.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Oh people still hate him alright, just look at Twitter. And they have every right to, he’s a self-absorbed loser who deliberately makes games less enjoyable to watch, and people in our fan base find that funny or endearing for some reason.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

College friend of mine’s wife works for Berkshire Hathaway in Omaha. Locals groan when we make it to the CWS now because of these idiots.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 pm It is loud but I have become so accustomed to it over the years, I think of it has an advantage and kind of mentally clap with the whistle beat. The best part is how much the other fans - especially UT - hate the whistler and many say they can't listen to the game. Oh no - a UT fan who refuses to watch Vanderbilt play baseball, how sad. :lol:

Anyway, keep it up. I'll turn the TV up and really enjoy the future game(s) as the opposing fans and ESPN just cringe.
By all means, let's give college baseball fans and ESPN a reason to hate us. You must be one of the whistlers. No one I know likes them.
Last edited by Doreknox on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:44 am
cc11316 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 pm It is loud but I have become so accustomed to it over the years, I think of it has an advantage and kind of mentally clap with the whistle beat. The best part is how much the other fans - especially UT - hate the whistler and many say they can't listen to the game. Oh no - a UT fan who refuses to watch Vanderbilt play baseball, how sad. :lol:

By all means, let's give college baseball fans and ESPN a reason to hate us. You must be one of the whistlers. No one I know likes them.
I have friends who I’ve been trying to get into college baseball who literally cannot watch us because of him. One of them asked me if he can afford to take the trip to Omaha every year because of the money he makes torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. This is not a case of others envying our success and blaming it on the whistler. This is an objectively annoying and unpleasant thing to have to sit through. It makes vegging out in front of a TV set to watch a baseball game a chore. Think about that. Baseball is the only thing we are good at these days, and we embrace someone who derails our ability to showcase it.

And yeah, I want Tennessee fans to watch our games. I want everyone to.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

At what point do recruits say "I'm not going there because I can't concentrate with those idiots whistling."
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

If the players and coaches didn’t like it, Corbs would ask them to stop and they would. But apparently he hadn’t done so.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

4timenatlchamps wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 am

I have friends who I’ve been trying to get into college baseball who literally cannot watch us because of him. One of them asked me if he can afford to take the trip to Omaha every year because of the money he makes torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. This is not a case of others envying our success and blaming it on the whistler. This is an objectively annoying and unpleasant thing to have to sit through. It makes vegging out in front of a TV set to watch a baseball game a chore. Think about that. Baseball is the only thing we are good at these days, and we embrace someone who derails our ability to showcase it.

And yeah, I want Tennessee fans to watch our games. I want everyone to.
I revised my post to add blue font for sarcasm.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

^^ What HE said x 1000 ^^
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

I don't enjoy enduring the annoying clapping of cowbells from Mississippi State, I don't enjoy hearing the obnoxious calling of 'BBQ on the hoof' from Arkansas, I certainly have had to listen to rubes a ut belt out that backward redneck, "Rocky Top" to the point I want to projectile vomit, but this is part of what fans do in support of thei teams in college sports. A couple of Vandy fans took it upon themselves to make a whistle and call a moniker for Vandy sports. Like it or not, this is what we have.

There is more than one whistler. It started out with one whistler and it has grown. I know of at least three. When Jeff or Preacher whistles, the entire Vandy section answers with a clap or a stomp of the feet. This a uniting bond of support for our teams. If you don't enjoy the games because of the whistlers get creative, go to the game, and start a new way to unite the Vandy fans with something that does not offend you.

If you can't relax while watching the game on TV, turn down the volume and turn on the radio. Until you are willing to you make a change, enjoy the whistler.

Unfortunately, we still have the cowbells, sooey pigs, and that god-awful Rocky FLOOP.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:44 am
^^ What HE said x 1000 ^^
I'm in, make it 1001.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

vutrain wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:18 am I don't enjoy enduring the annoying clapping of cowbells from Mississippi State, I don't enjoy hearing the obnoxious calling of 'BBQ on the hoof' from Arkansas, I certainly have had to listen to rubes a ut belt out that backward redneck, "Rocky Top" to the point I want to projectile vomit, but this is part of what fans do in support of thei teams in college sports. A couple of Vandy fans took it upon themselves to make a whistle and call a moniker for Vandy sports. Like it or not, this is what we have.

There is more than one whistler. It started out with one whistler and it has grown. I know of at least three. When Jeff or Preacher whistles, the entire Vandy section answers with a clap or a stomp of the feet. This a uniting bond of support for our teams. If you don't enjoy the games because of the whistlers get creative, go to the game, and start a new way to unite the Vandy fans with something that does not offend you.

If you can't relax while watching the game on TV, turn down the volume and turn on the radio. Until you are willing to you make a change, enjoy the whistler.

Unfortunately, we still have the cowbells, sooey pigs, and that god-awful Rocky FLOOP.
At least Rocky Top, calling the hogs and cowbells are long time athletic team traditions. The whistlers don't have anything to do with VU sports traditions other than being ridiculous. And they don't sound like a botswain whistle, either.

Speaking of...
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Has anyone asked Corbin what he thinks about the Whistlers?
vandyman24
Petty Officer

Post by vandyman24 »

I personally like the Whistler. If I was going to a library then yeah, it would be annoying. But we’re talking about a sporting event where it’s supposed to be loud. If it weren’t for him, our crowd wouldn’t be as engaged in my opinion in regards to cheering and getting loud. Having played sports my whole time growing up and coaching at the high school level, I can honestly say that the more noise the better. It gives players an extra adrenaline boost and is much better than playing in front of fans that don’t do or say anything. And at least the Whistler cares about the team and isn’t one of the so called fans that trash them when they lose, like many did after the 1st NC State game. So give me the Whistler over those fans. I like the cowbells, the Whistler, calling the hogs, rocky top, the vuvuzela (however you spell it) that they use in soccer, etc. Those are the things that make a great environment in my opinion. Those things are Much better than sitting by someone loud and obnoxious that trashes the team he supposedly supports, there are a lot of fans like that out there.
Versus75
Admiral

Since cowbells are allowed ...

Post by Versus75 »

... we should be able to honk VU-VUzelas. I have one that was passed out at a Vanderbilt @ Louisville women's soccer match. It is red, though.

In any case, they are named after our university. Pass 2,000 out at the next Vanderbilt home game and ask the fans to only honk between pitches.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:28 am
vutrain wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:18 am I don't enjoy enduring the annoying clapping of cowbells from Mississippi State, I don't enjoy hearing the obnoxious calling of 'BBQ on the hoof' from Arkansas, I certainly have had to listen to rubes a ut belt out that backward redneck, "Rocky Top" to the point I want to projectile vomit, but this is part of what fans do in support of thei teams in college sports. A couple of Vandy fans took it upon themselves to make a whistle and call a moniker for Vandy sports. Like it or not, this is what we have.

At least Rocky Top, calling the hogs and cowbells are long time athletic team traditions. The whistlers don't have anything to do with VU sports traditions other than being ridiculous. And they don't sound like a botswain whistle, either.

Speaking of...
So, what "long time athletic tradition" would you propose for Vandy? I'm not aware of any, other than apathy by the administration and I'm not so sure how that gets our fans fired up. If you limit us to "long time athletic tradition", I guess we will all be quietly sitting on our hands.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Personally the SC chicken call offends the worst, by far
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

I agree with Vandyman24 -- my wife and I have been season ticket holders since 2004 and I only wish EVERYONE had the love and passion for Vandy baseball/athletics that the whistler(s) have. I'm typically so focused on the game that I don't pay much/any attention to the whistling. Solution - a good pair of WORKMAN RADIO HEADPHONES will block out all outside noise and allow you to enjoy the radio play by play -- if the whistlers bothered me that much I'd put on the WORKMAN and enjoy cheering for the VandyBoys SV#
Let's get STATE tomorrow!!
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

To be totally transparent, I don't necessarily like the whistler(s). I like the fact that it annoys the opposing fans (mainly UT but others as well) more than it apparently annoys Vandy fans.

How can annoying UT fans ever be a bad thing? Read just one of their boards for 2 minutes (doesn't matter which) and you will see how much they hate Vandy, the fans and any kind of civility in the world. Some of my disdain for them is just in fun and gamesmanship but there is a darker part of it having been around them for 50 years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic