Announcers

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Announcers

Post by Minoadoc »

I purchased ESPN+ to watch the games. The announcers, who are the okla st announcers, are whining from the get go, criticizing umps

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Announcers

Post by Levon »

Minoadoc wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 pm I purchased ESPN+ to watch the games. The announcers, who are the okla st announcers, are whining from the get go, criticizing umps
I think the announcers are good. The #2 guy over- analyzes, but he knows what he's talking about. And to the point about the umps, both guys today had/have very tight strike zones, so unlike the massive strike zones of most college umpires. In just the first inning of game 2, I thought both pitchers had 2-3 pitches each called balls that are almost always called college strikes. Personally, I like the more realistic strike zones.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

If you can call balls/strikes, with the tv camera off center, from center field, and the ump doing their inside the catchers shoulder, more power to you. It’s not like there is a k-zone, and it’s the same for both teams. . My point is the complaining, and the ump is being very tolerant of the pitcher posturing.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Levon wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:33 pm
Minoadoc wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 pm I purchased ESPN+ to watch the games. The announcers, who are the okla st announcers, are whining from the get go, criticizing umps
I think the announcers are good. The #2 guy over- analyzes, but he knows what he's talking about. And to the point about the umps, both guys today had/have very tight strike zones, so unlike the massive strike zones of most college umpires. In just the first inning of game 2, I thought both pitchers had 2-3 pitches each called balls that are almost always called college strikes. Personally, I like the more realistic strike zones.
In the 4th now, game 2, let me say this ump has a most erratic strike zone, both ways.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

most homer announcers ever. That's what happens when a former coach and the father of the current coach is the announcer. Cry me a river. Bottom line is OK St aint half as good as Vandy. And they played a weak schedule (like we did) to an undefeated record
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

think the announcers know at this point the ump had no impact on getting whooped. they have 4 hits so far over a game and a half and were complaining about the strike zone. Need to hit if you want to win, or walk. They've walked 20+ batters today
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Minoadoc wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:43 pm If you can call balls/strikes, with the tv camera off center, from center field, and the ump doing their inside the catchers shoulder, more power to you. It’s not like there is a k-zone, and it’s the same for both teams. . My point is the complaining, and the ump is being very tolerant of the pitcher posturing.
Minoadoc, I agree, I certainly can't call balls/strikes from my lazy boy. In fact, calling balls & strikes has got to be the most challenging job for any official in any sport. But I never said the umps in either game were making incorrect or bad calls. I said that based on the strike zones of the typical college umpire, both umps yesterday had very tight strike zones. Pitches in locations that are normally called strikes were routinely being called balls, and the Ok State starter in game 2 wasn't emotionally handling that reduced zone very well. And as game 2 went on, the calls became increasingly erratic. The color man (I didn't realize in real time that he was Coach Holiday's father and the former long-time Ok State coach...DOH!) was quite good in describing how the ump got in that kid's head and affected him. He overanalyzed (literally every pitch), but his observations were really good, very smart. I could listen to him on a regular basis. Final thought, VU hitters adjusted very well to the tighter strike zone in both games. That was, perhaps, the story of the game...smart, patient plate discipline. This VU team could be special.
Locked Previous topicNext topic