I hate the whistler(s)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Re: I hate the whistler(s)

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

vandyambush wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm If you read the SEC Tourney twitter feed, every 5-6 tweets focuses on how “annoying” the whistler is.
Good reason not to read it.

Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

EllistonVU wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 am
Commodoredave wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 am The game thread is 2 pages and the whistler thread is 5. As obnoxious and annoying as these low class redneck losers are, my biggest complaint is that they are drawing attention away from a great team . Not just opposing fans, baseball It is seriously a bad reflection on the entire fanbase. writers and media can't stand them.
Channel 4 Sports last night gave glowing reviews to the win but then spent almost as much time covering the whistling annoyance-disturbance which Joe Dubin took a very negative view of.
Who cares what Joe Dubin thinks, whoever he is. I think for myself.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Long live the whistlers!
If the players and coaching staff are in the whistlers Corner, so am I!!
And by the way, someone said Joe Dubin was part of the elite Nashville media. Joe Dubin is about as elite as a Dickerson Pike meat and three.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

As seen on the SEC Rant site:

"Vanderbilt baseball has been around a long time and I heard a lot of games on radio for many years with no whistling. This ****** didn't show up until Vanderbilt got good and more games were on television for his notoriety."
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

As annoying as the whistler may be, the hate that UT radio host Chad Withrow is throwing at him does make me like him a lot more. As a Vandy fan, I'd hate to be on the same side of any argument as Chad Withrow. While the whistler stopping would make me a bit more happy, it is clear that it would be a great victory for those who absolutely hate the program and all that it stands for. I'm not sure why I should be inclined to give them a victory for what amounts to a minor inconvenience. Anyone who believes that this will make the likes of Withrow respect Vanderbilt more or hate us less is fooling themselves. It will simply allow him to go back to actively ignoring the baseball program while continuing to crap on every other sport.
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

I’ve never been a fan of the whistler on TV but Sunday at the game he was quite effective in getting our crowd going without it being nonstop like it seems when watching on TV. He was definitely getting up, engaging our crowd, leading cadence on claps, and even leading cheers.

Having spent several years on the sidelines back in the day trying to get the crowd to yell and support our Dores, I can tell you it takes a lot to get that level of participation, particularly over a game that lasts that long. I was glad he was there to lead.
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

Sorry for the double post but can’t do this on my phone.
Jason94 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 am As annoying as the whistler may be, the hate that UT radio host Chad Withrow is throwing at him does make me like him a lot more.

...While the whistler stopping would make me a bit more happy, it is clear that it would be a great victory for those who absolutely hate the program and all that it stands for...
A sign of this happened yesterday when some Ole Miss fans brought over a big sign and got right in front of him with it, facing him rather then the field. It read: “Whistle if you love Ole Miss”. They were trying their best to silence him and help take our crowd mostly out of the picture. It didn’t work and most of our folks who saw it supported him, jeered them away, and cheered louder.
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

I love the whistlers and the Dickerson Pike meat and three. Wish I didn’t live in NYC. Go Dores! #one!!
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

... with a number provided by a Mississippi State poster. Poser?

1-888-549-3776 (option 5)

The phone was answered quickly, by Michael. He listened carefully to my comments, told me what he had heard from other callers, and took my name and e-mail address in case someone at ESPN wishes to follow up.

I told him that I appreciate The Whistler's efforts on behalf of his team. The Commodores fans and our players rally around the whistling.

I also suggested that there is no need for a Play-By-Play guy because the "analysts" dominate the conversation. (Tom Hart is supposed to be PBP in today's LSU game, but I only hear Burkey and KP.) A batter would be 3 or 4 (or more) pitches into his AB before his name is mentioned. That inning and a half with Sankey was the worst. Bases loaded in a big game and we get a split screen with no play-by-play.

Pitiful!
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

Versus75 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 amThat inning and a half with Sankey was the worst.
I couldn't agree more.
accent grave over the e
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Can't stand this clown. Saw him in the concourse Sunday around the 6th or 7th inning while he was on the phone. For a split second I thought about an 'accidental' forearm to the upper lip would do wonders, but obviously decided against it.

Guy is a Grade-A clown.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Charlie Nickens wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:35 am Can't stand this clown. Saw him in the concourse Sunday around the 6th or 7th inning while he was on the phone. For a split second I thought about an 'accidental' forearm to the upper lip would do wonders, but obviously decided against it.

Guy is a Grade-A clown.
Maybe a self trip with a large coke in your hand?
TheGoldenTouch
Rear Admiral

Re: I disagree with the original post ...

Post by TheGoldenTouch »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 pm ... because The Whistler is one of our greatest fans. When he's at the game, you know that Vanderbilt fans are in the house!

When Kyle Peterson and the other "analysts" at ESPN/SEC Network can take time out from talking about the major league draft and/or the food offerings at the SEC Tournament to talk about The Whistler, you know that Vanderbilt fans are in the house!

The Whistler and his brother and some friends attend most if not all of the Vanderbilt Baseball home games. They also travel to away games, including some that are VERY FAR AWAY. When you heard The Whistler in the season-opening series at Talking Stick, you knew that Vanderbilt fans were in the house.

His group leads the Black/Gold cheer often, including an attempt to rally our fans who might have been drowned out by "Go Big Blue!" at Kentucky last weekend. You knew that Vanderbilt fans were in the house!
COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!! 40 year fan here and I can't tell you any true cheering traditions VU really has. "Dynamite" and 'Who ya with" and the "Horn" just don't do it for me anymore.

I actually think it's a HUGE opportunity to make it a quirky interactive fan cheer. If everyone in the stands or gym 'tried' to whistle, I'd get a kick out of it. You'd have some that could whistle, and a bunch that would just be blowing.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Bottom line is, how many of you typing-talking heads were at the game? I've got a good idea, most were not there as I wasn't. These guys make an effort to be at the game and support the team. Most of us have no right to complain about something we are not supporting in person. If this applies to you, quit your belly-aching.
TheGoldenTouch
Rear Admiral

Post by TheGoldenTouch »

vandybrad wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:23 am Bottom line is, how many of you typing-talking heads were at the game? I've got a good idea, most were not there as I wasn't. These guys make an effort to be at the game and support the team. Most of us have no right to complain about something we are not supporting in person. If this applies to you, quit your belly-aching.
exactly. Dude doesn't miss and is a super fan. Let' run him outta town like we did Vandy Lance! We don't need those 'fans' that make noise and cheer for our team.
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

Somebody remind me what happened to Vandy Lance?
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Bear8000 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:29 pm Somebody remind me what happened to Vandy Lance?
He and another fan got into it and one of our ushers took the opposing fans word over Lance's. So the story goes.
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

He and another fan got into it and one of our ushers took the opposing fans word over Lance's. So the story goes.
[/quote]

I hate to hear that. So, does he not attend VU games anymore?
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Bear8000 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 pm He and another fan got into it and one of our ushers took the opposing fans word over Lance's. So the story goes.
[/quote]

I think this happened at a basketball game. Not sure he has been back since.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

vandybrad wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm
Bear8000 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 pm He and another fan got into it and one of our ushers took the opposing fans word over Lance's. So the story goes.
I think this happened at a basketball game. Not sure he has been back since.
[/quote]

I saw Vandy Lance at the NIT game vs South Dakota State that time, so he does return on special occasions at least. Glad to see him. The whistler on the other hand... it would be just fine if he never attended another game. It would be a net plus and make it better on the radio/tv audiences also who don't live nearby. I noticed on the VS forum, the posts are running heavily toward the anti-whistler viewpoint.
Locked Previous topicNext topic