Undefeated!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dcdore
Admiral

Undefeated!

Post by dcdore »

Good start; nice contributions from the frosh that played - Gonzales, DeMarco, Clarke & Brown.

Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
NateSY
Captain

Re: Undefeated!

Post by NateSY »

And against a top 25 team. (Well, 25)

Meanwhile...
No. 9 LSU getting whipped by ND. (5-0, 5th)
Mizzou ties 1-1 with FIU in the 7th.
South Carolina loses to VMI 7-6.
No. 15 Miss State lost to Southern Miss 11-0
UT lost to Maryland 4-0

And just because wow...
GA beat Georgia Southern 22-9.

All unmentioned teams are winning or won.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

There were a lot of individual efforts that warrant optimism. Demarco, Jones, Gillis, and Gonzales among others in an overall outstanding game. Just one, but if the pitching is good enough to have Gillis coming in out of the pen, we are in for a fun year.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

VU had only 3 strikeouts in the game. The excessive number of strikeouts last year (I believe Vandy had the most among SEC teams) really hurt; keeping them down would be a big improvement.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

LSU got a grand slam and a 3 run homer in the 7th and 8th to rally past ND 7-6
ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

nyyankeeDore wrote:VU had only 3 strikeouts in the game. The excessive number of strikeouts last year (I believe Vandy had the most among SEC teams) really hurt; keeping them down would be a big improvement.

A lot more contact and fighting off pitches. I know it is only one game, but if this is the new Dores offense, I am extremely optimistic. I think the freshmen showed they are ready to contribute now. And we only saw 4, but if the rest are as ready, then that bench is deep. I can't wait to see the freshmen arms as they are rolled out one by one. If they are as poised and ready as the offensive guys, this year is going to be fun.

Observations:

I think they found that missing leadoff man that they have missed the last few years. DeMarco looks like the real deal in that spot. His plate discipline and plate coverage look great.

Jones has changed his swing. He drove me crazy the last 2 years. Had a a hitch or something. Could not explain it, but I did not like it. It is now nice and smooth. I think he could finally live up to the hype.

Gonzalez looks like a bull. That foul ball he crushed was a bomb and his power is real. Now I see why they are comparing him to Pedro. He is also very disciplined at the plate. He will be a fixture at 3rd for the next 3 years and should double digit homer all 3 years.

Clark is a good hitter as well. He seemed to be a little anxious but that swing is sweet. You can tell he knows how to handle the bat.

Lots of things to like. I know it was just one game, but it is very encouraging.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

Good info
Locked Previous topicNext topic