Transfer portal

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricFan
Lieutenant

Re: Transfer portal

Post by AuricFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:24 pm
baseball1234 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:19 pm Brett Hansen and Donye Evans too.....
Corbin isn't going to have a choice. We need to bring in some transfer pitchers.

If not, this program is headed for trouble.
I disagree. We are not going to beat the cow schools through emulation (see football). We need to appeal to the kids that want to be here through graduation.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricFan wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:38 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:24 pm
baseball1234 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:19 pm Brett Hansen and Donye Evans too.....
Corbin isn't going to have a choice. We need to bring in some transfer pitchers.

If not, this program is headed for trouble.
I disagree. We are not going to beat the cow schools through emulation (see football). We need to appeal to the kids that want to be here through graduation.
I disagree (somewhat) with your disagreement. Baseball is a sport - much unlike football - where young kids turn pro right out of high school, sometimes after a couple of years of college, can't wait to transfer if they don't get "enough" playing time without waiting their turn, etc. College baseball and college football don't resemble each other in the least as far as recruiting/retention/pro ball options. As time goes on, less and less college baseball players at big name programs are willing to stay in school 4-5 years and often refuse to do it at the same school where they started out if so. Ten years ago we needed to appeal to the kids who wanted to be here through graduation. That was then but this is now and things have changed. We may not like what has happened but it happened. Look how many guys changed schools in college basketball this spring... would have been unheard of ten years ago. A few transferred back then, but not thousands.

We need to do what we need to do to NOT become the doormat of the SEC in baseball.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

Let's be fair, here. 2021, CWS runner-up in game 3 of the finals. 2022, one-run loss in the finals of a road regional with a very, unsettled starting rotation. Do what you do well. Hardly, are we looking at becoming the doormat. That's rather silly-talk.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

Also, if Reilly "clicked" a couple times more this year, we wouldn't be so retrospect--we'd be playing.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricFan wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:32 pm Let's be fair, here. 2021, CWS runner-up in game 3 of the finals. 2022, one-run loss in the finals of a road regional with a very, unsettled starting rotation. Do what you do well. Hardly, are we looking at becoming the doormat. That's rather silly-talk.
As next season's first baseman just entered the portal.

And as I recall, football didn't turn into a doormat by recruiting transfers. Our football program has traditionally had very very very few of them.

The more things change, the more they DON'T stay the same.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

Again, I like Casas. But, this year was awkward. We lost Hunter Owen and some didn't develop as expected (Young, Reilly, etc). I think there are some attitude issues, as well. We have a large group that will be pushing to the MLB, soon. This improves the brand/appeal. Anchor Down, young fellow!
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Vanderbilt is IMO a top 25 university .... a ballplayer like C Young would be best served to quit baseball for his senior year .... earn his Vanderbilt diploma and then transfer to a D2 like CWU and play a season or 2 for his parents as a grad student. I can't think of a nicer gift to his parents for all the support they provided for 20 years.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Every time I go to the baseball site, and to this thread in particular, I do so with a sense of dread. Who have we lost this time? Am I the only person who feels this way? I guess I'm just a pessimist. There are at least a dozen names that, if I saw they were transferring, it would ruin my entire day, if not my week.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:01 pm Every time I go to the baseball site, and to this thread in particular, I do so with a sense of dread. Who have we lost this time? Am I the only person who feels this way? I guess I'm just a pessimist. There are at least a dozen names that, if I saw they were transferring, it would ruin my entire day, if not my week.
I appreciate your sentiments, but none of the transfers have been troubling for me. I believe they have taken notice that Corbin will play the best players and when you are displaced on the depth chart and you want to be a star, you might need to go to a less challenging situation! We haven’t lost anyone who was counted on to be key contributor next year and they all were given the opportunity to be successful, but failed.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

AuricFan wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:56 pm Again, I like Casas. But, this year was awkward. We lost Hunter Owen and some didn't develop as expected (Young, Reilly, etc). I think there are some attitude issues, as well. We have a large group that will be pushing to the MLB, soon. This improves the brand/appeal. Anchor Down, young fellow!
I've been watching Corbin very closely for many years. He's a great coach to try and emulate.

He did not like this team. There must have been multiple issues, either with attitude or work ethic.

For that reason, I expected a considerable amount of transfers...and we are getting that.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:17 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:01 pm Every time I go to the baseball site, and to this thread in particular, I do so with a sense of dread. Who have we lost this time? Am I the only person who feels this way? I guess I'm just a pessimist. There are at least a dozen names that, if I saw they were transferring, it would ruin my entire day, if not my week.
I appreciate your sentiments, but none of the transfers have been troubling for me. I believe they have taken notice that Corbin will play the best players and when you are displaced on the depth chart and you want to be a star, you might need to go to a less challenging situation! We haven’t lost anyone who was counted on to be key contributor next year and they all were given the opportunity to be successful, but failed.
Casas started 13 times and hit almost .300 this season. That loss is disappointing from a need/experience standpoint.

Little pitched in 18 games and opponents hit around .200 or so. That loss is disappointing from a need/experience standpoint.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Casas got 6 starts at the beginning of the SEC season and hit .136….that doesn’t look like what you want to see out of a starting first baseman.

Little never should have graduated early as he didn’t appear to be mature enough to handle the demands of playing in the SEC. I don’t believe he ever found his comfort zone on the baseball team and did not appear to have the best attitude.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm Casas got 6 starts at the beginning of the SEC season and hit .136….that doesn’t look like what you want to see out of a starting first baseman.

Little never should have graduated early as he didn’t appear to be mature enough to handle the demands of playing in the SEC. I don’t believe he ever found his comfort zone on the baseball team and did not appear to have the best attitude.
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think a high-ceiling pitcher like Little made a mistake by taking himself completely off the table with the draft by coming to Vanderbilt early. If a pitcher can get 1st round money coming out of high school, they should seriously consider it as long as they are at least getting slot money. High school pitchers are such a crap shoot that I would lean towards them taking the money when they can. An interesting exception to that might be Dylan Lesko. If he doesn't get what he is looking for this draft, there is speculation he might come to Vanderbilt and look to go 1-1 in 2025.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

katmai wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:11 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm Casas got 6 starts at the beginning of the SEC season and hit .136….that doesn’t look like what you want to see out of a starting first baseman.

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think a high-ceiling pitcher like Little made a mistake by taking himself completely off the table with the draft by coming to Vanderbilt early. If a pitcher can get 1st round money coming out of high school, they should seriously consider it as long as they are at least getting slot money. High school pitchers are such a crap shoot that I would lean towards them taking the money when they can. An interesting exception to that might be Dylan Lesko. If he doesn't get what he is looking for this draft, there is speculation he might come to Vanderbilt and look to go 1-1 in 2025.
If he steps foot in a class at VU, he can't go 1-1. Once you start class you must either play 3 years or until you turn 21.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 pm
katmai wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:11 pm

If he steps foot in a class at VU, he can't go 1-1. Once you start class you must either play 3 years or until you turn 21.
he could three years from now (2025), no?
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

On the flip side of our players in the portal, Zane Denton of Alabama just entered the portal. From Brentwood, middle-of-the-order bat. Plays 3B, where we will have an opening with Diaz moving to SS.

And, before signing with the Cardinals upon being drafted, his brother was a Vandy commit. The family obviously knows Corbin and staff well.

Might be a good fit...I take that back, he IS a good fit.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Vandybird wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:29 pm Vanderbilt is IMO a top 25 university .... a ballplayer like C Young would be best served to quit baseball for his senior year .... earn his Vanderbilt diploma and then transfer to a D2 like CWU and play a season or 2 for his parents as a grad student. I can't think of a nicer gift to his parents for all the support they provided for 20 years.
It is an obsession. He either stole your girl friend from you or you actually are his ex-girlfriend. Leave it alone. You appear to have a sickness.
Locked Previous topicNext topic