Gentle Reminder

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

Gentle Reminder

Post by roanoke »

Last year MSU went to Hoover.

In their first game, they were clubbed 13-1 by Florida.

In their second game, with their backs to the wall, they were torn apart by the Vols 12-2.

It was an ugly display. But not, as it turned out, the end of the world for them.

We are there. How you respond to laying a titanic egg says more about you than laying the egg. In a long baseball season, there are going to be some omelettes. I am guessing Coach lit into the team pretty well last night. They just failed to show up - and failed to do all the “team” things they had done for the last month to get a 3 RPI. Let’s hope we get back to building runs, getting on base, plate discipline, playing aggressively and throwing strikes. All of these things are harder - especially patience and discipline - when you stake your opponent 6 runs out of the gate.

Our pitchers simply have to stop nibbling and start throwing strikes ahead in the count. I have no doubt that our pitching is deep enough and capable enough to carry us far into the post-season, but there is no room left for sloppy execution and loss of focus. Strikes win games. Free bases lose them.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Gentle Reminder

Post by Go Vandy! »

The most frustrating thing is this team is extremely Jeckyll/Hyde. They are great or terrible with little in between.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Gentle Reminder

Post by charlestonalum »

I suspect Corbs gave them hell, but why did we hold a celebration banquet honoring our seniors this week when we had this huge series still to play. I understand their families may have here and there is no perfect time, but I bet holding it after the Arkansas seies led to an unrealistic satisfaction and complaency in our young team that LSU capitalized on. Just an hypothesis to explain the performance the past 2 nights. Hopefully today they come to win.
Locked Previous topicNext topic