It appears IT has left the program

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

It appears IT has left the program

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I hope this is not true but it looks like Isaiah Thomas has announced he is leaving Vanderbilt.

[tweet][/tweet]

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: It appears IT has left the program

Post by Foreverhopeful »

What is that all about? Strange.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

I hope it all works out for him. He seemed somewhat disengaged in the last CWS game and got pulled late.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

As much as I enjoyed his talents and watching him play, I believe his displeasure is more about him than the culture of VU baseball. I don’t believe he bought into the team concept Corbin tries to develop. I have never heard of any other player taking such a stance and Corbin was always about developing each player as an individual person over and above that as player. I believe IT has major league potential who still lacks maturity and it speaks volumes that he wasn’t drafted. I hope he finds an avenue that leads him in reaching his full potential, but I was often disappointed in the attitude he projected during the past year.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

My pure guess is that he asked for confirmation he would start next year so that he wouldn’t have a potentially wasted senior year and Corbs wouldn’t bend on telling him he had to earn it.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

oakparkDore wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:44 pm My pure guess is that he asked for confirmation he would start next year so that he wouldn’t have a potentially wasted senior year and Corbs wouldn’t bend on telling him he had to earn it.
Kind of what I was wondering, too. The full IG post is quoted on an SDS “article” - I was curious what he implied with the mental health piece. However, I’d be a bit surprised to hear that Corbin did anything without a player’s interest at heart, especially if it meant legitimately jeopardizing their mental health. Just the sense I get from Corbin and how he operates.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Remember his reaction when he had his glasses pulled off. Anger at a teammate over an accident...
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

IT would have been a starter for certain next year. Although we are deep in the outfield, he will certainly be missed. There is more to this story than what we now know, probably more than we will ever know. I hope he reaches his full potential and makes it to the BIGS. I'm a little surprised he wasn't drafted in one of the lower rounds during the last draft.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:50 am IT would have been a starter for certain next year. Although we are deep in the outfield, he will certainly be missed. There is more to this story than what we now know, probably more than we will ever know. I hope he reaches his full potential and makes it to the BIGS. I'm a little surprised he wasn't drafted in one of the lower rounds during the last draft.
Sounds like to me the pros picked up on this during the interview process and shied away.
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

During the CWS, a parent told me that Corbin played mind games with her son. Mainly had to do with his role as a starter versus being a reliever. She also said that should not be taken as a condemnation of Corbin. They still loved Corbin. They were 100% behind Brownie. Coaches do play mind games with players to motivate them. I guess some can handle it and some can't. I know nothing about what is going on with I.T. Wish he didn't strike out as much, but I can say that about several players. I've never seen a team swing and miss as much as 2021 Vandy baseball. And yet VU was the 2nd best team in college baseball at the end of the year. That's baseball.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

This appears to be one of the oddest departures from the program that I can remember. I wish him the best and hope somebody can harness those loud tools that he has. His K/BB ratio kept him from being drafted, but there is upside that somebody will take.

Our OF will be stacked, again, in 2022. Bradfield in CF is an All American, then we can fill the corners with Bulger, Jones, Vaz, and LaNeve. No shortage of talent in that group as a whole, and I think Bulger and Jones can both be high draft picks in the future.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Wishing IT nothing but the best. Some journeys are more difficult than others, but can lead to even greater heights. Here's hoping he creates more great memories for himself on his journey. Thankful for the memories he has helped create for me.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:59 pm
oakparkDore wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:44 pm My pure guess is that he asked for confirmation he would start next year so that he wouldn’t have a potentially wasted senior year and Corbs wouldn’t bend on telling him he had to earn it.
Kind of what I was wondering, too. The full IG post is quoted on an SDS “article” - I was curious what he implied with the mental health piece. However, I’d be a bit surprised to hear that Corbin did anything without a player’s interest at heart, especially if it meant legitimately jeopardizing their mental health. Just the sense I get from Corbin and how he operates.
From what I have heard second hand, it sounds like Corbin and Vanderbilt did have IT's best interests at heart in regards to his mental health, and there was disagreement between IT and Vanderbilt on how to handle that. He was in school last week, but has gone home. I really wish nothing but the best for him, and hope he gets everything worked out.

Also to confirm what everyone thought, Kumar Rocker is not enrolled this semester, so it looks like his Vanderbilt career is over. I hope it works out for him next year as well. Hopefully his issue this year was a completely disfunctional Mets front office, and not a serious medical issue.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

All programs have issues, all programs have a damage control plan,, to think that Vanderbilt is any different is comical. Wish IT the best .
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Rocker could have returned. He elected not to return. CJ left his sophomore year for really not much. Romero left on his own. All that glitters isn't (vegas) gold
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: It appears IT has left the progr

Post by Ndorefin »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 am Rocker could have returned. He elected not to return. CJ left his sophomore year for really not much. Romero left on his own. All that glitters isn't (vegas) gold
It’s quite obvious your agenda has been revealed :roll: . Your statements are absolutely absurd! Rocker had zero reasons to return and it would have been detrimental to his future, subjecting his arm to more wear and tear. CJ got a great contract, $400,000 signing bonus, more than multiple National Player of the year award winner, Kevin Kopps. Romero could have left for many reasons….one being Keegan, returning for his senior year, will be the catcher next year. Romero had some pop in his bat, but there are reasons why he didn’t play more. Keegan, Kolwyck, Vaz, Maldonado could have all left, but apparently are returning. Corbs has been at VU for 20 years and this is the first time I can recall a player voicing displeasure. To state VU baseball has issues based on IT is beyond comprehension and you find that belief to be comical? You have absolutely no credibility and I believe I would change my username if you expect anyone to take your posts seriously! :lol:
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

You friend have no idea what you are talking about.=, you think you know....... BTW what round did Maldo go in? Anyway I wish IT the best and all the players for that matter. I see your point about Rocker not gaining anything by returning to play, but ask yourself, since he knew he was going to be out this year, why not return to school and work on the degree? And use the facilities like others before him have done?
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 pm but ask yourself, since he knew he was going to be out this year, why not return to school and work on the degree? And use the facilities like others before him have done?
I know I have asked myself that question, several times. Do you know the answer, or at least have a strong suspicion? I'm not being snarky; I respect your opinion. I certainly would be surprised if Kumar or his parents were upset with the VU staff, e.g., thinking he was overworked, or was used with a known injury. But not saying it couldn't (or didn't) happen.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

More about Thomas' future plans:

[tweet][/tweet]
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

If he has emotional or other issues, as has been implied elsewhere, I truly hopes that he resolves them. Some of us, including me, have had to overcome personal/emotional issues. When resolved, they sometimes make for a stronger person.

Best wishes for IT during his journey through life. While people on this board, and others, enjoy baseball, it is not what makes us as human beings.
Locked Previous topicNext topic