What’s with the ump meetings and then replay checks

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

What’s with the ump meetings and then replay checks

Post by Golddore68 »

The games take too long because of the countless ump meetings and then replay checks. Anytime there’s a questionable call, why do all six umps have to meet and talk about it for five minutes? What do the umps in the outfield have to say about whether the Mississippi State player fouled a ball off his shoulder or whether he swung and outright missed it and it hit his shoulder?

Then they make their call, one of the coaches demands they look at the replay, and we have to wait five or more minutes for them to do that!

I honestly thought he missed and it hit his shoulder until they slowed the replay way down, and, yes, you could barely see it graze the handle of the bat and deflect off, hitting the guys shoulder.

Versus75
Admiral

Re: What’s with the ump meetings and then replay checks

Post by Versus75 »

Why did the ump start off the game with a talk to Harding? One would think that if he was going to act spasmodic before the pitch that he should do the same every time. If that was the reason for the visit, ump didn't get the message across.

And why wasn't the MSU coach involved?
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:35 pm Why did the ump start off the game with a talk to Harding? One would think that if he was going to act spasmodic before the pitch that he should do the same every time. If that was the reason for the visit, ump didn't get the message across.

I had the TV sound on at the time (which didn't last too long). Although the volume was low, I thought they said something about his contact (or lack thereof) with the pitching rubber. I'm not 100% sure that's what I heard, though. Seems like complaining about someone's spasmodic delivery would infringe on his rights, or at least hurt his feelings (I'm being maybe only half serious here).
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 pm
Versus75 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:35 pm Why did the ump start off the game with a talk to Harding? One would think that if he was going to act spasmodic before the pitch that he should do the same every time. If that was the reason for the visit, ump didn't get the message across.

I had the TV sound on at the time (which didn't last too long). Although the volume was low, I thought they said something about his contact (or lack thereof) with the pitching rubber. I'm not 100% sure that's what I heard, though. Seems like complaining about someone's spasmodic delivery would infringe on his rights, or at least hurt his feelings (I'm being maybe only half serious here).
Why don’t umps call balks anymore?

That’s one of those things that you never see called, like palming the ball or offensive goaltending in basketball.

You have to keep your feet on the pitchers rubber while pitching it or it is a balk.

Also, when MSU had a runner on second, one of our pitchers — I don’t remember who was on the mound at the time — faked like he was going through his pitching motion and then spun around and threw it to second. I thought, Oh no, that’s a balk, but the ump didn’t call it.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

The more baseball can do to discourage debaters and disputers and people just looking for something to pontificate about, the better.

No idea whether that means fewer replays or more.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Why did the ump start off the game with a talk to Harding? One would think that if he was going to act spasmodic before the pitch that he should do the same every time.
I am surprised we never bunted against the overweight spaz-dance pitcher.

Could he even bend over to pick up a bunt after he would have waddled off the mound?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Golddore68 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Why don’t umps call balks anymore?

That’s one of those things that you never see called, like palming the ball or offensive goaltending in basketball.

You have to keep your feet on the pitchers rubber while pitching it or it is a balk.

Also, when MSU had a runner on second, one of our pitchers — I don’t remember who was on the mound at the time — faked like he was going through his pitching motion and then spun around and threw it to second. I thought, Oh no, that’s a balk, but the ump didn’t call it.
You can fake to second without it being a balk.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

The announcers said it was about how he was positioning himself on the mound and his contact with the pitching rubber. I think the ump was miked up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic