“It’s not fair!”

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: “It’s not fair!”

Post by OldDude »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 pm I just don't get this whining crap. This isn't the first time, other programs in other sports (prime example see March madness, VCU) have come upon this. It is what it is. The whole team was tested, including their vaccinated players, AFTER the positive results came back and several within the organization were reporting symptoms. So the NCAA wanted to see the extent and tested everyone. It happens, that's probably protocol. It's terrible but unfortunately the last 18 months have gone to this.

What else in the world was the NCAA (or it's partners it consulted with, including Omaha medical) to do? Delay the whole thing and the plans for thousands of fans?????? To some unknown date when everything is fine for all teams????? Let them play with a covid "outbreak" and take even more heat for that???? I just don't get the problem with the NCAA, and certainly haven't heard any credible solutions that could have been taken from all the complainers.

I hate it for the NC State players. No sympathy for their (mostly) ignorant fan base however. I even read some say Corbin was behind it. LMAO! How ignorant!! Most just blame the NCAA. I wish we could have played them fair and square for two games, and I've heard that our team feels the same way... but EFF their fan base. What a bunch of wahoos.

Sorry for the rant, but tired of the "it's not fair" whining mentality of the whole thing. Guess what, morons, life isn't always fair. Hasn't been to me, probably hasn't been to you, either. Get over it and move on. Personally, I would have liked things to play out, even though we likely could have been eliminated.

I saw someone make a CWS champion shirt for them. Like they had any chance against Miss State, or even Texas for that matter. LOL at their fan base. They are geographically located way too close to EweTee.
Man, if you ever had watched me try to dunk a basketball, you would have seen how unfair life can be ! :lol:

BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 pm I just don't get this whining crap. This isn't the first time, other programs in other sports (prime example see March madness, VCU) have come upon this. It is what it is. The whole team was tested, including their vaccinated players, AFTER the positive results came back and several within the organization were reporting symptoms. So the NCAA wanted to see the extent and tested everyone. It happens, that's probably protocol. It's terrible but unfortunately the last 18 months have gone to this.

What else in the world was the NCAA (or it's partners it consulted with, including Omaha medical) to do? Delay the whole thing and the plans for thousands of fans?????? To some unknown date when everything is fine for all teams????? Let them play with a covid "outbreak" and take even more heat for that???? I just don't get the problem with the NCAA, and certainly haven't heard any credible solutions that could have been taken from all the complainers.

I hate it for the NC State players. No sympathy for their (mostly) ignorant fan base however. I even read some say Corbin was behind it. LMAO! How ignorant!! Most just blame the NCAA. I wish we could have played them fair and square for two games, and I've heard that our team feels the same way... but EFF their fan base. What a bunch of wahoos.

Sorry for the rant, but tired of the "it's not fair" whining mentality of the whole thing. Guess what, morons, life isn't always fair. Hasn't been to me, probably hasn't been to you, either. Get over it and move on. Personally, I would have liked things to play out, even though we likely could have been eliminated.

I saw someone make a CWS champion shirt for them. Like they had any chance against Miss State, or even Texas for that matter. LOL at their fan base. They are geographically located way too close to EweTee.
Good post. Though, I'm not really that sympathetic to the players. They are all grown men who (supposedly) attend institutions of higher learning. The most up-to-date information about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines is readily available to them. So was the info about the potential consequences for not getting immunized before the CWS.
Several on their team didn't get vaccinated, then compounded the risk by not taking steps to distance or cover their faces. Such stupidity should not be rewarded in any way in college athletics.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:24 pm The ESPN announcers just had a dialogue in which they basically whined and bellyached about how unfair it was that N.C. State had to drop out of the CWS...
Bear in mind though that we're talking about ESPN here. They have a handful of decent announcers & writers, but they also have a ton of none-too-bright incompetent hacks. Case in point: their first article last night, reporting that MSU had just beaten Texas for the right to play us in the CWS finals, concluded with this falsehood:

"In an April series in Starkville, Mississippi, the Bulldogs took two of three from the Commodores." I kid you not. https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... vanderbilt
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Biden is behind it

Post by dallasdore »

vandy05 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:11 am
dallasdore wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:56 pm
vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 pm

I think they were being sarcastic.
Yeah, belair was being sarcastic.

The dumbing down of our entire population due to politics has come down to:

Pre-election: I'm not taking the vaccine when it becomes available because Trump made sure it went through quickly and it's not safe. Trump's an idiot.

Post-election: I'm not taking the vaccine because Biden tells us all to take it now and it's not safe. Biden's an idiot.

With that, let's DROP THE POLITICS OR TAKE IT TO THE COFFEE SHOP.
If only the Coffee Shop were open! Its okay though dallas, we can handle a little back and forth as long as we maintain a little perspective. But if you get to make a political statement, then its not really fair for you to tell the rest of us to stop :)

I'm a dyed in the blue Democrat, but I'm very thankful for the work of so many in the prior administration that helped with Warp Speed. There is nothing wrong with being reasonably grateful for that if you're a Democrat. And for what it's worth, I don't personally know any Democrats who said they weren't going to take the vaccine because of anything related to Trump. They were reading the science about the vaccine and knew the process and got it as soon as they could.
Fair point, Vandy05. I guess I really can't do that.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:49 pm I don't think it could have happened to us though because our guys are vaccinated.

Do we know that for a fact? Has someone on the staff, or in the Vandy administration, said that? Is even stating that a HIPPA violation? The HIPPA environment is sometimes tough on fans. In injury situations, I've often wondered if the staff is forbidden to give a report on a player's injury, even if he/she says it's okay, and may even have tweeted it personally.

If we aren't fully vaccinated, and a positive test comes up, we will be the butt of SO many jokes, I told you so's, charges of hypocrisy, etc.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:34 am
vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:49 pm I don't think it could have happened to us though because our guys are vaccinated.

Do we know that for a fact? Has someone on the staff, or in the Vandy administration, said that? Is even stating that a HIPPA violation? The HIPPA environment is sometimes tough on fans. In injury situations, I've often wondered if the staff is forbidden to give a report on a player's injury, even if he/she says it's okay, and may even have tweeted it personally.

If we aren't fully vaccinated, and a positive test comes up, we will be the butt of SO many jokes, I told you so's, charges of hypocrisy, etc.
hypocritical how?
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:49 pmI don't think it could have happened to us though because our guys are vaccinated.
geeznotagain wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:34 amDo we know that for a fact? Has someone on the staff, or in the Vandy administration, said that?...
It's hard to say. VU evidently has a policy of not replying to that question in a manner that would either confirm or deny it.

But OTOH there have been reports that ours is the only team at CWS that was not required to have all players & coaches tested for Covid before CWS began, which was permissible only if all players & coaches were fully vaccinated.

It's a little strange that VU has the "Don't Answer That Question" policy mentioned above, seeing as how the university is requiring mandatory vaccinated status in order to attend VU's 2021–22 academic year, beginning this August.

And lastly it bears repeating that vaccination does not mean that you can't catch Covid (see 'State, NC'), it just means that in the much-less-likely case that you do catch Covid, you'll have a vanishingly small likelihood of dying from it.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 pm

I think they were being sarcastic.

Pre-election: I'm not taking the vaccine when it becomes available because Trump made sure it went through quickly and it's not safe. Trump's an idiot.

Post-election: I'm not taking the vaccine because Biden tells us all to take it now and it's not safe. Biden's an idiot.

If only the Coffee Shop were open! Its okay though dallas, we can handle a little back and forth as long as we maintain a little perspective. But if you get to make a political statement, then its not really fair for you to tell the rest of us to stop :)

I'm a dyed in the blue Democrat, but I'm very thankful for the work of so many in the prior administration that helped with Warp Speed. There is nothing wrong with being reasonably grateful for that if you're a Democrat. And for what it's worth, I don't personally know any Democrats who said they weren't going to take the vaccine because of anything related to Trump. They were reading the science about the vaccine and knew the process and got it as soon as they could.
There were a lot of Democrats and liberal media who didn’t want to take the vaccine because Trump’s administration started it and they bashed Trump for pushing it through so fast and they hoped that it would fail because they didn’t want Trump getting credit for it being successful.

You can Google search Trump and Covid vaccine and dozens of articles critical of Trump for coming out with the vaccine, like this one.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/09/03/tr ... e-trusted/

But when Biden took office all those naysayers were suddenly completely behind the vaccine and demanding that everyone be forced to get it.

Biden even tried to take credit for the vaccine in his first few press conferences after taking office. Even the liberal media called him out on that.

So unfortunately politics has been a huge part of this.

I have had my vaccine shots (Phizer). I never got Covid even when I was quarantined with my daughter, who tested positive for it, but I felt it was worthwhile to get the vaccine so I don’t have to worry about it.

I think eventually you won’t be able to travel overseas or go to concerts or sporting events unless you are vaccinated. That is a slight infringement on everyone’s freedoms, but that is the world we live in now after a deadly pandemic.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:41 pm

There were a lot of Democrats and liberal media who didn’t want to take the vaccine because Trump’s administration started it and they bashed Trump for pushing it through so fast and they hoped that it would fail because they didn’t want Trump getting credit for it being successful.
No, Democrats didn’t want to take a vaccine that had been rushed to the market for political purposes without proper testing and trials having been done. They didn’t trust Trump, but they said if Fauci vouched for it they would trust him.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

docdore wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 am

hypocritical how?

I'm referring to the fans, not the team. Neither CTC nor the Vandy officials have said anything except exactly what they should say.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Admittedly, I don't have that . I'm going based off of reports I've read on the internet and taking them as true. They very well could not be.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Starkiller wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:51 pm

No, Democrats didn’t want to take a vaccine that had been rushed to the market for political purposes without proper testing and trials having been done. They didn’t trust Trump, but they said if Fauci vouched for it they would trust him.
I agree with Starkiller.

And to your point Golddore68, that's why I said I don't personally know anyone who feels the way you described. Its always easy to find someone on the internet who has staked out an extreme position. Even easier to find a politician who has done so. I like to speak from personal experience because I think our every day lives are much more reflective of our reality than what I get from politicians and far corners of the internet. Democrats I know read the science and digested the information and realized it was a sound process run by the right people.

But I certainly know Democrats who won't take the vaccine for reasons of distrust of the government process, but they're Black so there is a whole other level of things going on with that.

And its similarly not good to assume that Republicans have universally staked out an extreme position on taking the vaccine. Many have taken it, though not enough to get us out of this mess.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

There were a lot of Democrats and liberal media.... yada,yada,yada...
Are you the same poster trying to scapegoat our minority A.D. for Joe Fisher's situation?
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:09 pm
There were a lot of Democrats and liberal media.... yada,yada,yada...
Are you the same poster trying to scapegoat our minority A.D. for Joe Fisher's situation?
I didn’t “scapegoat” her, I said one mistake shouldn’t have cost him his job.

Whether she is a minority or not is not the issue and I would say the same if it was a white male AD who had fired him.

I really liked Joe as Vanderbilt’s play by play announcer and I have a lot of fond memories of great moments he’s announced, like Vanderbilt’s win over UT in football to break the long losing streak to them. I hate to see him go over something like this.

Other posters have pointed out it may not have been his first occurrence and that he may have been warned. We don’t know whether this is the case or not.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

jf did a great job for vandy....it would therefore seem incredible and extremely unlikely that he was fired because of one incident.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

There were a lot of Democrats and liberal media who didn’t want to take the vaccine because Trump’s administration started it and they bashed Trump for pushing it through so fast and they hoped that it would fail because they didn’t want Trump getting credit for it being successful..........
This is some serious revisionist history.
accent grave over the e
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

He's a French model, if it's on the internet it has to be true.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:35 pm ESPN is owned by Disney... They likely had the movie rights locked up too if that 13 man team somehow managed to beat Vandy yesterday.

It's not fair. Whatever. What's not fair is the complete lack of respect some NC State players and their coach had for the vaccine, and the well-being of their families, friends, teammates and opponents.
Not everyone thinks that the Covid vaccines are safe. Several highly respected medical people do not. It may be great, but I think reasonable doubt is justified! I think "lack of respect" is your assumption!
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:35 pm ESPN is owned by Disney... They likely had the movie rights locked up too if that 13 man team somehow managed to beat Vandy yesterday.

It's not fair. Whatever. What's not fair is the complete lack of respect some NC State players and their coach had for the vaccine, and the well-being of their families, friends, teammates and opponents.
Not everyone thinks that the Covid vaccines are safe. Several highly respected medical people do not. It may be great, but I think reasonable doubt is justified! I think "lack of respect" is your assumption!
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

This is some serious revisionist history.

Start with Gov. Cuomo.....then retract.
Locked Previous topicNext topic