a couple of thoughts

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

a couple of thoughts

Post by roanoke »

Vandy did not lose a game in the first two rounds of this tournament. Very, very few teams can say that. We won in slugfests and in pitchers' duels. We played small ball to beat a very gritty ECU team. We scored 14 to outlast Ga Tech with longballs. Our headliners pitched their hearts out. Our bullpen aces - Maldonado and Murphy were really good.

We have played the last month with various injuries affecting our line-up. Young is still recuperating at the plate - Kolwyck has been totally out. Our young guys and replacements have stepped up. We are playing good ball - and we are deep.

With that said, there is a very good chance that our first Omaha foe will be the one team in the country that really beat us this year: we are 2-3 versus Ole Miss. (I know we lost some other series, but Ole Miss seemed to truly have a lot of answers with respect to us.) I would argue that a lot of those games do not forecast the future - we played them on the road and at Hoover. We played them minus some starters - and arguably Hoover mattered to them more... but they still beat us.

I NEVER root to get one opponent or another because it is bad luck. Nonetheless, facing Ole Miss would be kind of ironic. At the same time, our nemesis Markazy threw a 120 pitches last night and, frankly, looked kind of tired and his velocity seemed down. He handcuffed us in Oxford - but it may prove to be a benefit that we have faced him before. Kumar had one of his lesser performances against Ole Miss at Hoover (as they simply did not swing at the slider) - I wonder if coach will think about throwing Leiter at them if it is them? Leiter shut them down. Kumar was 0-2 versus OM. We will know who our next opponent is by tonight. Arizona has some big bats, too - I suspect it will be a 10-7ish game today. But our next game will be against their aces - not their #3 guys who will go today. (Imagine OM if their #1 pitcher Hogelund had not gotten sidelined.)

Arky won 21-2 in game one. An NC State friend tells me Hog fans lit up the NC State boards after that massacre. That is bad mojo. And it bit them yesterday. NC State rose up to win 6-5. Oddly, Arky also burned several innings from Kopps while behind. That could make life interesting for them today. There is a lot of pressure on these kids - especially for the number one team that has not lost a series all year.

All the more credit to our guys. They played good solid baseball at crunch time.

Finally, the other side of the bracket is a bit of a dart throw. UT really could get to the semis without playing a ranked opponent. (They have not lost a game yet either.) Dallas Baptist and Virginia are not slouches - and neither is LSU... but they are all "surprises." UT advanced by beating Liberty and Wright State (barely). Texas scratched out a walk-off over South Florida - but they will face the ND-MSU winner which will be harder than DBU-UVA. Our side of the bracket will be greatly impacted by whether Arky wins today. If they do, our side will be the tougher side from which to advance. Well known stat, but worth repeating - the #1 seed in the baseball tourney has not won the championship this century.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: a couple of thoughts

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

roanoke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:24 am

We have played the last month with various injuries affecting our line-up. Young is still recuperating at the plate - Kolwyck has been totally out. Our young guys and replacements have stepped up. We are playing good ball - and we are deep.

With that said, there is a very good chance that our first Omaha foe will be the one team in the country that really beat us this year: we are 2-3 versus Ole Miss. (I know we lost some other series, but Ole Miss seemed to truly have a lot of answers with respect to us.) I would argue that a lot of those games do not forecast the future - we played them on the road and at Hoover. We played them minus some starters - and arguably Hoover mattered to them more... but they still beat us.

I NEVER root to get one opponent or another because it is bad luck. Nonetheless, facing Ole Miss would be kind of ironic. At the same time, our nemesis Markazy threw a 120 pitches last night and, frankly, looked kind of tired and his velocity seemed down. He handcuffed us in Oxford - but it may prove to be a benefit that we have faced him before. Kumar had one of his lesser performances against Ole Miss at Hoover (as they simply did not swing at the slider) - I wonder if coach will think about throwing Leiter at them if it is them? Leiter shut them down. Kumar was 0-2 versus OM. We will know who our next opponent is by tonight. Arizona has some big bats, too - I suspect it will be a 10-7ish game today. But our next game will be against their aces - not their #3 guys who will go today. (Imagine OM if their #1 pitcher Hogelund had not gotten sidelined.)
I agree that the depth of the fielders has really allowed us to almost forget about the many injuries this team has suffered. When you throw in the struggles with and injuries in pitching outside of the Big Two, and the strength of the conference this year, it's remarkable they have made it this far.

I am really hoping Arizona eliminates Ole Miss today. I think it's much harder for a team to prepare when they haven't played us at all and faced either Leiter or Rocker (or Bradfield, for that matter). This would be game six for us and Ole Miss, and like you said they seem to have us figured out. (By the way, Kumar did not face Ole Miss at Oxford. Little started the first game, then Rocker pitched against Arkansas, and then Leiter faced the Rebels in the second Hoover game.)

As much as I hate to say it, Tennessee has a team of destiny vibe to it. I'm hoping that if they get to Omaha TD Ameritrade will swallow up the balls that have left Lindsey Nelson with regularity.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Agree, Tenn seems to have everything going their way....TD will turn HR into outs but they put the ball in play too. Team plays hard....it's the friggin fairweather fans that are the worst. Will have to see ugly orange in Omaha....ugggh
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:35 am

I agree that the depth of the fielders has really allowed us to almost forget about the many injuries this team has suffered. When you throw in the struggles with and injuries in pitching outside of the Big Two, and the strength of the conference this year, it's remarkable they have made it this far.

I am really hoping Arizona eliminates Ole Miss today. I think it's much harder for a team to prepare when they haven't played us at all and faced either Leiter or Rocker (or Bradfield, for that matter). This would be game six for us and Ole Miss, and like you said they seem to have us figured out. (By the way, Kumar did not face Ole Miss at Oxford. Little started the first game, then Rocker pitched against Arkansas, and then Leiter faced the Rebels in the second Hoover game.)

As much as I hate to say it, Tennessee has a team of destiny vibe to it. I'm hoping that if they get to Omaha TD Ameritrade will swallow up the balls that have left Lindsey Nelson with regularity.
Kumar lost 3-1 to Nikhazy in Oxford.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:57 pm

You are correct, but, based on the rest of the parenthetical, I suspect Auric meant at Hoover when he mistakenly said at Oxford. Of course, I could be wrong.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

You are right - at bottom...

You meant Hoover, I think. Kumar is 0-1 versus OM. And Leiter is 1-1.

Leiter lost to OM in Hoover; Kumar in Oxford. Kumar’s bad outing in Hoover was against Arky. Leiter beat OM in Oxford.

Who knows how it all comes out? Who knows whether we face OM or Arizona... I trust whoever it is - we will be ready.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

roanoke wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:11 pm You are right - at bottom...

Who knows how it all comes out? Who knows whether we face OM or Arizona... I trust whoever it is - we will be ready.
Above is the distilled message Roanoke started with: I consider this Corbin's best coaching job including the 2 championships, because we have had to deal with a very young team that because of the 2 pitchers we have had unrealistic expectations and pressure to perform from the beginning - then we have had injuries to key players. Now - we have a really well coached, confident team peaking at the right time winning however it takes. The young players are a few months older. I think this team is prepared to win it all now late in the season and if we do - Corbin will again have proven just what a magnificent coach he is. Conquer and prevail!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Levon wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:05 pm
commadore wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:57 pm

You are correct, but, based on the rest of the parenthetical, I suspect Auric meant at Hoover when he mistakenly said at Oxford. Of course, I could be wrong.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks. I'm at my in-laws and very stressed out.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Don't worry, Auric. We know it takes a lot for you to get something incorrect. :)
mtnvandy
Captain

Corbin’s Best - COVID factor

Post by mtnvandy »

If CTC’s 2021 performance is going to be compared to his prior teams, you surely have to add COVID to the mix.

I am assuming it effected
every element of his prep for the season.

I would think ADAPTABILITY would have to be key to a leader who thrives when dealing with the likes of something which hadn’t been seen in 103 years.

REGARDS,
MtnVandy
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Corbin’s Best - COVID factor

Post by charlestonalum »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 am If CTC’s 2021 performance is going to be compared to his prior teams, you surely have to add COVID to the mix.

I am assuming it effected
every element of his prep for the season.

I would think ADAPTABILITY would have to be key to a leader who thrives when dealing with the likes of something which hadn’t been seen in 103 years.

REGARDS,
MtnVandy
Agreed - omitted that because it was not unique to VU, but who can forget his observation after the UT series regarding crowds?
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Arizona looks like they'll be a tough match up. We've been fortunate that we haven't had to depend on our bullpen much. If that changes we'll be in trouble.

Didn't realize this until now but UT is about to play their 5th consecutive game against a regional 3 seed. Their first game as regional host was against the 4th seed of course but every game since then has been a regional 3 seed. Talk about a lucky draw so far.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We have proven we can win in close games with lots or little number of runs - we are tested, ready. Arizona offense is very good, but their pitching is not equal to their offense. If we play well we can win and we know we can beat UT because we have.
Locked Previous topicNext topic