Interesting Observation on that school to the East

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

Interesting Observation on that school to the East

Post by Seadog73 »

Re the Walk-off with Wichita State:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tenne ... -question/

Just like a EweTay athlete to turn and basically taunt his opponent instead of just celebrating with his teammates.

vutrain
Commander

Re: Interesting Observation on that school to the East

Post by vutrain »

Seadog73 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:57 pm Re the Walk-off with Wichita State:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tenne ... -question/

Just like a EweTay athlete to turn and basically taunt his opponent instead of just celebrating with his teammates.
Punk move, needless to say.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I'm really more disgusted by seeing all the UT fans so happy and singing Rocky Top. Did the kid go too far? Probably. But a highly emotional moment in a high stakes situation. I mean, a walk-off grand slam in the postseason is a big deal. I'll cut the kid some slack on it personally.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

It was over the top, but that was an unbelievable moment. The whole bat flip craze has gone a little too far this postseason. Now kids, get off of my lawn.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

The kid may be alright as a person and is definitely a pretty danged good player but that particular act was a punk move.

I can understand Vols fans taking up for the act though. In their so-called best season ever they still have no accomplishment that shouldn't have an asterisk beside it. They won the SEC East only because VU had game 3 cancelled against Alabama; then they get a ridiculously easy regional draw where their #2 seed finished 10th in regular season play in their conference. They have little brother complex and will justify any behavior at this point.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:36 am I'm really more disgusted by seeing all the UT fans so happy and singing Rocky Top. Did the kid go too far? Probably. But a highly emotional moment in a high stakes situation. I mean, a walk-off grand slam in the postseason is a big deal. I'll cut the kid some slack on it personally.
Why the disgust with jubilant fans singing their korn likker song in the aftermath of a walk-off, postseason Grand Slam? Granted, they're obnoxious UT fans, but still, what a moment. Gotta say, I was pretty pumped when Thomas hit his Granny on Sunday night. Should I/we as Vanderbilt fans not have been excited and celebrate?

And in the next post, Dave mentioned the current bat flip craze; did you see what Thomas did after his Grand Slam? He went probably 30 feet up the 1st base line with his bat, Carlton Fisking that ball fair. Once it was fair, Thomas turned back toward home and threw his bat hard in the direction of home. Did that make Vanderbilt and/or baseball fans in general angry and clutch their pearls in horror? Not me.

It's sports, it's supposed to be fun and dramatic and jubilant and...add your own descriptor. For me, the only bad aspect of all of this was the UT hitter taunting Wright State; that was completely uncalled for and wrong.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Levon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am
vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:36 am I'm really more disgusted by seeing all the UT fans so happy and singing Rocky Top. Did the kid go too far? Probably. But a highly emotional moment in a high stakes situation. I mean, a walk-off grand slam in the postseason is a big deal. I'll cut the kid some slack on it personally.
Why the disgust with jubilant fans singing their korn likker song in the aftermath of a walk-off, postseason Grand Slam? Granted, they're obnoxious UT fans, but still, what a moment. Gotta say, I was pretty pumped when Thomas hit his Granny on Sunday night. Should I/we as Vanderbilt fans not have been excited and celebrate?

And in the next post, Dave mentioned the current bat flip craze; did you see what Thomas did after his Grand Slam? He went probably 30 feet up the 1st base line with his bat, Carlton Fisking that ball fair. Once it was fair, Thomas turned back toward home and threw his bat hard in the direction of home. Did that make Vanderbilt and/or baseball fans in general angry and clutch their pearls in horror? Not me.

It's sports, it's supposed to be fun and dramatic and jubilant and...add your own descriptor. For me, the only bad aspect of all of this was the UT hitter taunting Wright State; that was completely uncalled for and wrong.
Simple. Cuz I hate all things UT sports, especially when something good happens to one of their teams.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 am
Levon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am

Simple. Cuz I hate all things UT sports, especially when something good happens to one of their teams.
I certainly understand that!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Levon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am For me, the only bad aspect of all of this was the UT hitter taunting Wright State; that was completely uncalled for and wrong.
The mid-majors in that part of the Midwest like where Wright State is from already hate large state schools.

Trust me on this one. The way we feel about you-tay and you-kay... that is how they view the Big Ten.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

So how did you feel about Thomas throwing the bad and skipping down the third base line?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:20 pm So how did you feel about Thomas throwing the bad and skipping down the third base line?
As a bat flip, didn't bother me. As a potentially dangerous object hurled in the direction of the catcher and umpire? Yeah, that bothered me a little bit.
Skipping home. Doesn't bother me, it wasn't aimed at the opposition
The old unspoken rules of baseball don't much apply anymore...
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

I had a major problem with the kid from UT. That being said, when Thomas did it I have to call a spade a spade. I had a problem with him also. Bat flipping isn't cool. It is showing off and calling attention to yourself.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

The difference in Thomas and Gilbert is simple: Gilbert immediately turned to the Wright State dugout and started mouthing. Being that he is a lefty, and hit the ball to RF, he turned all the way back around before starting his prance to stare into the 3B dugout. Thomas, a righty, pulled the ball down the line. Watched it, and then started pointing at his own dugout and his teammates. Big difference. What's the motivation: celebrating with your guys, or worrying about making sure the other team knows what you just did?

I don't like bat flips, so both were not great in my opinion, but I'm a baseball purist. If you're OK with them, that's fine. No need to argue.

The biggest issue for me, and it will be the downfall of UT baseball from this peak: Vitello's actions. He comes sprinting onto the field and running up the base line as soon as it's hit. What a clown. Here's why it's a big deal. UT is ready to commit to Tony V. The question is: is Tony V. willing to commit to UT? I think that action right there says "no way". Corbs is all about his players. Heck, he won his first title in 2014 and wouldn't even go celebrate on the field with his team. Beede had to bring the trophy over to him on the top step of the dugout. He is ALL about those kids. It's THEIR moment. Tony V. is the exact opposite. He couldn't get on that field fast enough, because it's all about HIM. And if that's his mindset, he will be taking the first big job that really comes after him. Vol fans think Vitello is a VFL. We'll find out over the next couple years...maybe sooner.
Locked Previous topicNext topic