Going to Knoxville

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Going to Knoxville

Post by charlestonalum »

There is a good chance we will go to Knoxville with them leading the SEC and possibly ranked higher than us nationally. This is going to make the series all the more important and will be a real pressure cooker for our young, suddenly struggling team. Confidence is what is needed and it will be difficult to muster on the road. I suspect this is one of the most challenging coaching situations for Corbin, but I bet he is up to it. Our problems are multiple: young and inconsistent hitters, injuries to some key players and the most elusive of all - supreme confidence. UT on the other hand is playing very well, seemingly healthy and playing loose with nothing to lose. Will be an interesting series still early in the season.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Going to Knoxville

Post by geeznotagain »

Rocker and Leiter counterbalance many deficiencies, so there is every reason to be optimistic in games 1 and 2. Game 3, not so much. Too bad R&L can't put any runs on the board for us. I'll be watching with some anxiety in game #1 to reinforce my sincere hope (and belief) that Rocker's last performance against UGA was an anomaly and nothing more.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UT lost today by 1 to the gators giving up a 3 run pinch hit homer in the 8th. So the winner of the series will be # 1 in the East. Going to be interesting. Got to hand it to UT- they seem to have a good coach and team. Play confidently and get clutch hits and we can take series, but lots of baseball still to be played and it is most important to be winning in late May and June
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

We really need some or all of our injured players back as soon as they can return. Their absence was obvious this weekend.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

i totally agree especially need Thomas ! with him out we are hurt defensely as well.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Does anyone have a medical update on the wounded? Is Corbin on the radio tonight?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:31 am There is a good chance we will go to Knoxville with them leading the SEC and possibly ranked higher than us nationally. This is going to make the series all the more important and will be a real pressure cooker for our young, suddenly struggling team. Confidence is what is needed and it will be difficult to muster on the road. I suspect this is one of the most challenging coaching situations for Corbin, but I bet he is up to it. Our problems are multiple: young and inconsistent hitters, injuries to some key players and the most elusive of all - supreme confidence. UT on the other hand is playing very well, seemingly healthy and playing loose with nothing to lose. Will be an interesting series still early in the season.
UUT (#5) is now ahead of us (#6) in the Baseball America poll. I wonder how many of those poll participants actually think Tennessee is a better team.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Play ball
dcdore
Admiral