Leiter ERA question

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Leiter ERA question

Post by AirForceDore »

Was he charged with the run last night since he struck the guy out that scored? My best guess is yes because the hitter that batted the runner in gets the RBI. Where I get confused is does it count against him since the guy that scored was put on base due to a strike 3 dropped pitch that beat the throw to first. I didnt see the play only heard second hand as I couldnt tune in til the fifth last night. Anyone know for sure?
Thx

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Leiter ERA question

Post by Minoadoc »

Box score shows earned run
dore83
Commander

Post by dore83 »

AirForceDore wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:45 am Was he charged with the run last night since he struck the guy out that scored? My best guess is yes because the hitter that batted the runner in gets the RBI. Where I get confused is does it count against him since the guy that scored was put on base due to a strike 3 dropped pitch that beat the throw to first. I didnt see the play only heard second hand as I couldnt tune in til the fifth last night. Anyone know for sure?
Thx
The run that scored was a strikeout who reached first. However, the official scorer ruled the 3rd strike was a Wild Pitch, not a Passed Ball.

The "Dropped Third Strike" is poorly named. For example, it a batter swings and misses a 3rd strike and the ball skips in the dirt in front of the catcher, it is ruled a dropped third strike even if the catcher fields it cleanly out of the dirt. It was never dropped, but is still a dropped third strike. And as a general rule, any pitch that hits the dirt in front of the catcher which results in a runner or runners advancing at least one base is ruled a Wild Pitch. Wild Pitches are credited to the pitcher and are considered earned. Passed Balls are credited to the catcher and are not earned.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Here's my ERA question. Suppose Leiter is pitching and the first batter reaches on an error. Leiter then proceeds to strikeout the next 2 batters. Any subsequent runs that inning are therefore unearned. So Leiter could give up 5 straight home runs at that point in the inning and his ERA would not suffer. But suppose somewhere in that inning (after the 3rd out should have been recorded) Smith comes in out of the bullpen and Smith gives up 5 straight home runs. Does this count against Smith's ERA?
dore83
Commander

Post by dore83 »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm Here's my ERA question. Suppose Leiter is pitching and the first batter reaches on an error. Leiter then proceeds to strikeout the next 2 batters. Any subsequent runs that inning are therefore unearned. So Leiter could give up 5 straight home runs at that point in the inning and his ERA would not suffer. But suppose somewhere in that inning (after the 3rd out should have been recorded) Smith comes in out of the bullpen and Smith gives up 5 straight home runs. Does this count against Smith's ERA?
Yes it does.

From the NCAA Scoring Manual

SECTION 22—earned run
e. When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief
pitcher shall not be charged with any run (earned or unearned)
scored by a runner who reaches base on a fielder’s choice that
puts out a runner left on base by a preceding pitcher.

Note: The intent of this rule is to charge each pitcher with the
number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual
runners.

f. When pitchers are changed during an inning, a relief pitcher shall not have the benefit of errors made earlier in the inning. Thus, he will be charged with earned runs for which he is totally
responsible.
Versus75
Admiral

And that is why ...

Post by Versus75 »

... on occasion TEAM EARNED RUNS (and thus, ERA) do not equal the total of the INDIVIDUAL EARNED RUNS. All subsequent runs are UNEARNED against the team but could be EARNED against the relief pitcher.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

thx for the responses dore83 and versus75.
Locked Previous topicNext topic