UIC Starter

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

UIC Starter

Post by commadore »

Kid really struggling. Has given up 11 runs in 3 1/3 this year. I personally think it is near criminal for the coach to leave him in for 95 pitches this early in the season. Oh well, I'll take the 6-0 lead.
I add that the kid had thrown for 1/3 of an inning before tonight.

Starkiller
Commander

Re: UIC Starter

Post by Starkiller »

commadore wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:49 pm Kid really struggling. Has given up 11 runs in 3 1/3 this year. I personally think it is near criminal for the coach to leave him in for 95 pitches this early in the season. Oh well, I'll take the 6-0 lead.
They didn’t want to go too deep into the bullpen right away. It could be a long 3 days for them. Their starter needed to eat some innings.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: UIC game

Post by Versus75 »

Spencer Jones playing. Put him at first next time; he might have saved an error by Vaz.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:49 pm Kid really struggling. Has given up 11 runs in 3 1/3 this year. I personally think it is near criminal for the coach to leave him in for 95 pitches this early in the season. Oh well, I'll take the 6-0 lead.
UIC pitcher did struggle throwing strikes, but in his defense, the ump was really squeezing the low breaking ball strike zone. Pitches were consistently called balls that practically every college umpire calls calls strikes, and it was clear the UIC pitcher needed the typically college-expanded breaking ball strike zone to be successful. On the other hand, the ump consistently called pitches that look high on TV as strikes (see the strike three calls on Gonzalez & Kolwyk as well as 3-4 on UIC hitters), both high fastballs and breaking balls. That benefited Schultz much more than the UIC pitcher who clearly relies on off speed location. Credit to VU hitters for laying off pitches normally called strikes.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Levon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:05 am
UIC pitcher did struggle throwing strikes, but in his defense, the ump was really squeezing the low breaking ball strike zone. Pitches were consistently called balls that practically every college umpire calls calls strikes, and it was clear the UIC pitcher needed the typically college-expanded breaking ball strike zone to be successful. On the other hand, the ump consistently called pitches that look high on TV as strikes (see the strike three calls on Gonzalez & Kolwyk as well as 3-4 on UIC hitters), both high fastballs and breaking balls. That benefited Schultz much more than the UIC pitcher who clearly relies on off speed location. Credit to VU hitters for laying off pitches normally called strikes.
My point is is safety. He had pitched one third of an inning this year and this time threw 95 pitches. We have been bringing our guys along with 50 pitch outings so as not to hurt their arms. UIC's coach apparently doesn't care about that. Not like he was throwing a no no or anytning.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:33 am
My point is is safety. He had pitched one third of an inning this year and this time threw 95 pitches. We have been bringing our guys along with 50 pitch outings so as not to hurt their arms. UIC's coach apparently doesn't care about that. Not like he was throwing a no no or anytning.
No, I understand your point and it's certainly valid. 95 pitches is a lot this early in the year. I don't pretend to know what the long term and quite successful UIC coach was thinking and/or cares about, I was just saying the kid didn't really pitch as badly as his numbers may otherwise indicate.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Levon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 am
commadore wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:33 am

No, I understand your point and it's certainly valid. 95 pitches is a lot this early in the year. I don't pretend to know what the long term and quite successful UIC coach was thinking and/or cares about, I was just saying the kid didn't really pitch as badly as his numbers may otherwise indicate.
Totally agree. He was certainly getting squeezed on the low and outside balls.
DonJohnVUfan
Seaman Recruit

Post by DonJohnVUfan »

commadore wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 am

He was certainly getting squeezed on the low and outside balls.
Too much information.
Locked Previous topicNext topic