Pirates claim Fulmer

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Pirates claim Fulmer

Post by Good2BGold »

According to MLive.com, Pittsburgh has claimed Carson Fulmer off waivers, which reunites him with Bryan Reynolds, and he is probably pretty well acquainted with Jacob Stallings, as well.

Pirates claim former Tigers pitcher off waivers

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Pirates claim Fulmer

Post by Commodoredave »

Carson is running out of chances I fear. He is probably my all time favorite VU pitcher for the way he competed and handled himself in the big situations. I'm surprised that he appears to be on the verge of being forced out, but at least he has the VU education and should be financially stable from his signing bonus.

My hope is that he works it out and restarts his career. The Reds and DJ would be the place that would give him the best chance.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Commodoredave wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am Carson is running out of chances I fear. He is probably my all time favorite VU pitcher for the way he competed and handled himself in the big situations. I'm surprised that he appears to be on the verge of being forced out, but at least he has the VU education and should be financially stable from his signing bonus.

My hope is that he works it out and restarts his career. The Reds and DJ would be the place that would give him the best chance.
I really like Fulmer a lot, for the same reasons you state, Dave. However, he isn't being forced out of baseball. More accurately, he's on the verge of pitching himself out of baseball. I believe the genuine talent combined with that competitiveness is why he keeps getting chances. But if he can't successfully, consistently get major league hitters out, he'll run out of chances. Hopefully, wearing black & gold again will bring the magic back.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Levon wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm
Commodoredave wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am Carson is running out of chances I fear. He is probably my all time favorite VU pitcher for the way he competed and handled himself in the big situations. I'm surprised that he appears to be on the verge of being forced out, but at least he has the VU education and should be financially stable from his signing bonus.

I really like Fulmer a lot, for the same reasons you state, Dave. However, he isn't being forced out of baseball. More accurately, he's on the verge of pitching himself out of baseball. I believe the genuine talent combined with that competitiveness is why he keeps getting chances. But if he can't successfully, consistently get major league hitters out, he'll run out of chances. Hopefully, wearing black & gold again will bring the magic back.
I agree, Levon, Carson's pitching performances are the reason he has been cut twice this season. I remember that despite him going higher in the draft, a lot of scouts liked Walker Buehler's big-league potential better because he wasn't max-effort like Carson and because he was taller, and of course, he has proven to be the better major-leaguer so far.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Fulmer picked up by Orioles

Post by Good2BGold »

Man, this has been a tough season for Carson. The Pirates have already waived him, and now the Orioles have claimed him. That's his fourth team this season, which is only one off the MLB record for most teams in a single season despite this being a short season.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Did he ever pitch at all for the Pirates?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

dcdore wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 am Did he ever pitch at all for the Pirates?
Not that I could find.
Versus75
Admiral

Maybe Black and Orange ...

Post by Versus75 »

... will be a better fit.

The Orioles are only 2 games out of a playoff spot. They must see some promise in Carson.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Yikes. Good that he’s still getting claimed but that’s a small silver lining to getting released repeatedly. He just hasn’t shown much command unfortunately. His stuff is still good.
darthvaderbilt
Rear Admiral

Post by darthvaderbilt »

pitched for Baltimore last night
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Back to the Pirates
Locked Previous topicNext topic