MLB.com: "Yaz's amazing catch helps Anderson to CG"

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

MLB.com: "Yaz's amazing catch helps Anderson to CG"

Post by Good2BGold »

Yaz made a great catch at the wall last night and had a walk-off walk to win the game.

Yaz's amazing catch helps Anderson to CG

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: MLB.com: "Yaz's amazing catch helps Anderson to CG"

Post by oakparkDore »

He’s been just phenomenal this year. Yet another highlight from Yaz!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great to see Yaz doing so well in the majors. I think there was a time when he was at Vandy when few believed he would ever be in the majors but here his is playing well in the MLB. I think I remember someone posted here that the Orioles had done the Red Sox a favor by drafting Yaz. Yaz would have been great member of the Red Sox.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:10 pm Great to see Yaz doing so well in the majors. I think there was a time when he was at Vandy when few believed he would ever be in the majors but here his is playing well in the MLB. I think I remember someone posted here that the Orioles had done the Red Sox a favor by drafting Yaz. Yaz would have been great member of the Red Sox.
Don, the Orioles look like fools now because they never even gave Yaz a call-up. Yet going into Sunday's games, he is eleventh in the national league in BA, second in runs scored, tied for third in RBI, tied for second in doubles, first in triples, tied for fourth in hits (with Dansby and two others), sixth in on base percentage, and fifth in slugging percentage. I don't know if there will be all-star teams this season, but so far he's playing an an all-star level. So is Dansby for that matter.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

He might still end up in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised. I hope he does.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Cant imagine the Giants wanting to part with him any time soon. It's crazy looking at his long road through the minors to finally get to where he is.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... strz001mic

In 2014 it looks like he got called up to AA and posted some okay numbers. But then spent all of 2015 in AA and had a worse season. Pretty bad numbers actually. And then played in fall league and was even worse. Kinda thought that might be the beginning of the end. But then in 2016 played a lot better getting called up to AAA. Kinda surprising in 2017 and 2018 the Orioles didnt give him a chance in the bigs. And now his numbers with the Giants are better than anything he ever did in the minors.

The weird thing though is that he all of a sudden became a power hitter last year. Not sure if the Giants gave him some of the Barry Bonds juice or what.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

fldore wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:39 am Cant imagine the Giants wanting to part with him any time soon. It's crazy looking at his long road through the minors to finally get to where he is.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... strz001mic

In 2014 it looks like he got called up to AA and posted some okay numbers. But then spent all of 2015 in AA and had a worse season. Pretty bad numbers actually. And then played in fall league and was even worse. Kinda thought that might be the beginning of the end. But then in 2016 played a lot better getting called up to AAA. Kinda surprising in 2017 and 2018 the Orioles didnt give him a chance in the bigs. And now his numbers with the Giants are better than anything he ever did in the minors.

The weird thing though is that he all of a sudden became a power hitter last year. Not sure if the Giants gave him some of the Barry Bonds juice or what.
I read last season that his increased power came from altering his launch angle, something he supposedly decided to do after conferring with some of the former Commodores who were in Nashville working out following the 2018 season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic