'Dores potentially playing MLB in 2020

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

'Dores potentially playing MLB in 2020

Post by Versus75 »

Of course, we have several who are locks: Price, Buehler, Gray, Minor, Beede, Fulmer, Dansby, Reynolds, Yaz, Kemp, Casali. Have I missed anyone?

Kyle Wright is described as a "prospect" in an article referenced by Good2BGold in another thread, but he IS on the Braves' 25-man roster at this point and looks to be a spot starter. Phil Pfeiffer was invited to the Braves' player pool; he is on Atlanta's 40-man roster.

JJ Bleday is on the Marlins' 60-man roster for the 2020 season.

Not all teams have submitted complete 60-man lists. So far I have not seen Austin Martin, Jeren Kendall or Jordan Sheffield.

Watching for Ben Bowden to see some action. He is on the Colorado Rockies' 40-man roster. Zander Wiel hit 24 dingers for the Twins' AAA team last season. Will that be enough?

Ryan Flaherty and Drew Verhagen both played in the majors last season but are currently free agents to my knowledge. They could be picked up.

And I would love to see Pedro Alvarez make a comeback, but nobody picked him up in 2019. I'm afraid he is done.

Any others (besides those already in the bigs) that you think could make it onto a 60-man player pool this season?

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: 'Dores potentially playing MLB in 2020

Post by VUaskew »

Flaherty retired and is a coach somewhere in the pros. VerHagen signed with a Japanese team, I believe.
Beede probably won't pitch this year due to Tommy John (?) surgery.

I think Sam Selman may make the Giants roster.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:43 am Flaherty retired and is a coach somewhere in the pros. VerHagen signed with a Japanese team, I believe.
Beede probably won't pitch this year due to Tommy John (?) surgery.

I think Sam Selman may make the Giants roster.
Thanks for the Flaherty/VerHagen news. Good catch on Selman. I see that he is on the 40-man roster after pitching 10 games last August-September as a 28-year-old rookie.
Versus75
Admiral

This article list 16 'Dores ...

Post by Versus75 »

... on MLB Player Pools.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 148740374/

As VUAskew noted, Beede, Flaherty and VerHagen are not among them. (VerHagen might make more money playing in Japan and Beede gets paid anyway, I suppose -- pro-rated?)

Still no Martin, Sheffield or Kendall.

The others mentioned above made the cut, including guys who have not played in the majors: Pfeiffer, Bleday, Bowden and Wiel. Especially glad to see Zander up there as he was not a "lock" to make it to the majors after being drafted in the 12th round. We've seen some first rounders never make it to the bigs.

Being included in the 60-man Player Pool does not guarantee major league service, but it's certainly a good sign. 247Sports suggested: "...it would be a surprise if Bleday makes his debut this season since it would count as a year of MLB service time in what will probably be another lost campaign for the Marlins."

I don't know how that works. I understood that playing the full season would count as one year of service, but I wouldn't think a guy activated for a short while would be the same as playing an entire year. That would mean one year closer to Arbitration and later Free Agent eligibility.
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

Pfeiffer, Wiel, (and Rhett Wiseman) were all drafted from Vandy in 2015. Aren't they all eligible for the Rule 5 Draft this year if they don't get put on 40-man rosters? Or is this year's Rule 5 Draft scrubbed? If Pfeiffer and/or Wiel don't get placed on rosters then I could see both of them getting traded.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Scratch David Price off that list of locks. He is now sitting out the 2020 season due to coronavirus.
Locked Previous topicNext topic