Next season's team

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Next season's team

Post by LawoftheWest »

Will someone who has knowledge of our team please give an analysis of what we can expect from our team next season (assuming one is played). What will be our strengths? Our weaknesses? How will we be ranked? What are our chances of returning to Omaha? Anything else.

Thanks to our knowledgeable fans who post on this board. I look forward to reading your collective analyses.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Next season's team

Post by commadore »

Not answering your question, but I did see where Florida kept their Friday and Saturday night starters and may be ranked #1 coming into next season.
HOWEVER, if Hickman came back we would have Hickman, Rocker, and Leiter. Not a bad lineup.
Versus75
Admiral

Even without Hickman ...

Post by Versus75 »

... we have Ethan Smith who started 4 games in 2020 plus freshmen Schultz, Hliboki and Doolin (combined 0.45 ERA, 39.2 IP, 17 hits, 51 SO and 9 BB) and whatever the incoming freshmen bring.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Hilboki was nothing short of amazing. Look for him to do great things.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

commadore wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:05 am Hilboki was nothing short of amazing. Look for him to do great things.
Absolutely. I feel like he was overshadowed a bit by Leiter's dominance and name recognition but he was nigh unhittable. I know it was a pretty small sample size but if Hliboki is even 75% of what he showed in 2020 he's going to be pretty special.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I read that a CBS analyst predicts the number one and two picks in next year's major league baseball draft will be Leiter and Rocker. If that occurs, will it be a first for the number one and two picks to come from the same school? Of course a lot can happen during the next year to affect the draft, but I am amazed that those two pitchers are held in such high regard, at least by one analyst. We are so fortunate to have Corbin to bring these kind of players in.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Jack may not go pro next year. he's only had a few colleges games. he might want to stay a second year
Versus75
Admiral

My guess is that ...

Post by Versus75 »

... if Leiter (or any player) is drafted no. 2, he does not stay in school another year to improve his draft position.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm I read that a CBS analyst predicts the number one and two picks in next year's major league baseball draft will be Leiter and Rocker. If that occurs, will it be a first for the number one and two picks to come from the same school? Of course a lot can happen during the next year to affect the draft, but I am amazed that those two pitchers are held in such high regard, at least by one analyst. We are so fortunate to have Corbin to bring these kind of players in.
For anyone interested, here is a link to the CBS piece LawoftheWest referenced. It includes video clips of Kumar's 19 strikeouts in the super regional and Leiter's 12 Ks in his debut.

MLB Draft: Pair of Vanderbilt pitchers among potential No. 1 picks in 2021, including Jack Leiter
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The pitching talent and depth of next year's team rivals any we have had, period. As discussed, we may have the two most coveted amateur arms in the country at the top of the rotation, and there were flashes of brilliance from several freshmen. Add Hugh Fisher's stuff back to the staff and the potential is there for greatness.

Can we hit? We really struggled with the bats at times in this early season, and now we have a once in a decade type hitter gone from the order, along with productive seniors Ray and Duvall.
There were are lot of really talented kids out there, but the lack of a full season of reps and no summer ball won't help much. I suspect we'll be in good shape by the end of the year, but there are certainly question marks all over the diamond.

We're a contender on pitching alone. A productive lineup makes us a serious threat in Omaha.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Catchers
Bulger, Rodriguez

1B
Jones, Keegan

IF
Gonzo, Young, Noland, McKenzie, O’Dowd

OF
Davis, Bradfield Jr, Thomas, Duff

UT
Kolwyck, freshmen, et al

Note: Bulger, Bradfield Jr and O'Dowd were the highest rated 2020 freshmen by perfectgame.org* on our roster after Hassell and Crow-Armstrong. McKenzie was rated the #67 2019 HS player. Does anyone know about 2019 #110 catcher Maxwell Romero Jr? Was he redshirted?

*PG subscribers can see the exact ranking. I only see them in ascending order.
Last edited by Versus75 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Hassell #8
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

I am not saying we won't have a 1,2 pick but highly unlikely. still very very good maybe two in top 7 ..... right now Leiter had a couple good outings, and a couple not so good. As did Rocker his freshman year. the difference is Rocker played an entire season against SEC and NCAA tourney talent . Leiter has not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic