Some players you may never see play again at VU

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Some players you may never see play again at VU

Post by Dorewithaflare »

A.Martin.DeVel,Rooker,Ray,Hickerson,and many more. sad

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Some players you may never see play again at VU

Post by Good2BGold »

Dorewithaflare wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:56 am A.Martin.DeVel,Rooker,Ray,Hickerson,and many more. sad
I'm guessing by "Rooker" you mean Kumar Rocker, and if so, that's not correct. Kumar is just a sophomore.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I'll particularly miss Martin. Good speed. Versatile, being able to play several positions. One of the top 3 or 4 hitters I've seen in a Vandy uni in the past decade. IMO it was nip and tuck between Martin and Bleday for MVP of last year's championship team. I will be shocked if he doesn't make it to the majors. And if this is the end, good luck to ALL the guys. This is a tough break for the players.
Versus75
Admiral

And I'm guessing by "Hickerson" ...

Post by Versus75 »

... you probably meant Mason Hickman.

Duvall and Ray are seniors. Duvall will likely be drafted (25th rounder in 2019). I don't know about Ray. If spring sports athletes are given another year of eligibility, he may ask to return. Whether Vanderbilt graduate schools want to make room for all the returning spring sports players is another story.

While I love both of those players and appreciate what they've done for the program, the 'Dores are deep at catcher and middle infielder and won't miss a beat without them.

Tyler Brown and Jake Eder are eligible for the draft and will surely go. Both got off to slow starts this season and could be helped by the SEC restarting the season after April 15. Fifteen conference games, a few midweek games (Louisville, e.g.) and an SEC Tournament could give them a chance to show off to the scouts.

And Vanderbilt always has some pitchers who can't break into our rotation (even as regular relievers) who get drafted on potential. Kaiser and Fisher could be this year's Joe Gobillot (16th round pick in 2019, pitched 2.0 innings with a 13.50 ERA).

Cooper Davis and Jayson Gonzalez are also juniors. Did I miss anybody, perhaps a draft-eligible sophomore?
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Ethan Smith is a DE soph as well
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Rocker's birthday is where he can go out after this year.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Dorewithaflare wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 pm Rocker's birthday is where he can go out after this year.
Are you sure? I thought to be draft-eligible he had to be 21 at draft time. Rocker doesn't turn 21 until November, 2020.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

According to the internet, Kumar's birthday is 11/22/99, which I believe means he will not be draft eligible as he will not be 21 until after the draft. I think this is right because I've read A. Martin can go 1-1 this year and Rocker has a chance at it next year.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Possibly thinking of Leiter who will be draft eligible after his sophomore season.

NEXT season Vanderbilt will still have Rocker, Leiter, Doolin, Schultz and other good pitchers. Need to bolster the offense and defense. That could be another championship season.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Dorewithaflare wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 pm Rocker's birthday is where he can go out after this year.
Not true, according to Baseball America:

"He’s college baseball’s most famous player, has established himself as the early favorite to be drafted No. 1 overall in 2021 and is the ace of the top-ranked team in the preseason."

Already The 2021 MLB Draft Favorite, Kumar Rocker Readies For High Expectations
Locked Previous topicNext topic