Minor takes out Alex Cora, Boston beat writer

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

3Lines
Rear Admiral

Minor takes out Alex Cora, Boston beat writer

Post by 3Lines »

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Minor takes out Alex Cora, Boston beat writer

Post by oakparkDore »

Very nicely done by Mike. Don’t mess with a VandyBoy
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Not defending Alex Cora, but wonder how many people realize his brother Joey was a Vandy Boy.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Yup, I did know that. Love Joey Cora. He’s not responsible for his brother.

(To be fair, letting a pop up drop deliberately so your pitcher can go for one more K is a little ridiculous. But I’ll always be on the side of our alumni regardless. And Alex certainly violated the glass houses principle. Mike burned him beautifully.)
Versus75
Admiral

Regarding sign stealing: Louisville coach Dan McDonnell ...

Post by Versus75 »

... said on radio the other day that he tries to steal signs, but he does it the right way. No video cameras.

I guess everyone does it, perhaps instinctively. But a line must be drawn somewhere and MLB decided that using technology crosses the line.

This conversation came up when McDonnell was asked if college baseball teams might take a page out of the Astros' playbook.

P.S. A related discussion suggested that all the players and coaches be fitted with mics and earphones. They can call the plays without going through all the histrionics. Fewer missed signals, fewer trips to the mound, and faster games.

A Win, Win situation ... until someone figures out how to tap into the radio broadcasts.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Sign stealing is either legal or not. Can't have it both ways.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am Yup, I did know that. Love Joey Cora. He’s not responsible for his brother.

(To be fair, letting a pop up drop deliberately so your pitcher can go for one more K is a little ridiculous. But I’ll always be on the side of our alumni regardless. And Alex certainly violated the glass houses principle. Mike burned him beautifully.)
I personally don't have a problem with that. The pitcher still has to throw the strike and the batter might actually get a hit instead of a strike out. I have a bigger problem with Brett Favre laying on the ground in front of Reggie White so White could get the sack record years ago. Helping a teammate with an accomplishment is great, helping an opposing team/player is wrong.
Locked Previous topicNext topic