Booked my trip to Phoenix ...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Booked my trip to Phoenix ...

Post by Versus75 »

... for the MLB4 Tournament Feb. 14-16.

While the schedule has not yet been set, the early games last year started at 1pm or 2pm local time. I will arrive Thursday evening to be safe.

Tickets were $10 apiece last year and there will be plenty of room in the 11,000-seat Salt River Fields at Talking Stick* ballpark which is home to the Rockies and Diamondbacks.

Some of the major leaguers will likely be in Arizona already, as the first spring training games are Feb. 22.

Ten ballparks and 15 MLB teams in the Phoenix area. Next time I will have to stay longer.

I found this online guide to the Cactus League: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... 0da9f4.pdf

Anybody else going to the MLB4 Tournament? Do you know of Vanderbilt-related activities during the weekend?

I will post if I learn more.

*Next week's Vanderbilt-Loyola men's basketball game is at the Talking Stick Resort.

lidore12
Ensign

Re: Booked my trip to Phoenix ...

Post by lidore12 »

I too am booked for Phoenix and wish February would get here sooner!

A look at vucommodores.com shows us playing Michigan Friday, UConn Saturday, and Cal Poly Sunday. I'll definitely be there for the rematch with Michigan and hopefully the game against a usually pretty solid UConn team. I'll likely miss Cal Poly due to flying out Sunday. The times are 6pm, 6pm, 3pm, although it isn't clear to me if those are Eastern, Central, or Mountain times (I'm assuming Phoenix is in Mountain time?).

I am not aware of any Vanderbilt-related activities but will keep the board posted if I hear of anything and hope that others do likewise. It may be helpful to check out the Phoenix-area alumni group on Facebook or elsewhere as the weekend get closer.

I have never been to Phoenix before, does anyone have any general recommendations of things to do or see? (sorry if this question is off-topic)
3Lines
Rear Admiral

Post by 3Lines »

If you are into music, and especially if you like instruments, I highly recommend the Musical Instrument Museum:

https://mim.org/
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Go to Alice Cooperstown restaurant and sports bar. They have a hot dog called The Big Unit. No, for real.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

It is in Mountain time, but AZ does not observe Daylight savings time.
Locked Previous topicNext topic