Projected starters

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Projected starters

Post by Commodoredave »

Do you think Eder can throw enough strikes to start? I'm thinking Smith has the most upside, unless you decide to put Brown in the #3 starter role. Huff was basically plunking the Durham bull at the end of the year after a nice start, but given the number of opportunities he had, I'm guessing Corbs and Brown were seeing something else in practice.
Is Kaiser ready to show some command and contribute? I remember he was throwing high 90's two years ago then dialed it back in a couple of spots last year.

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I would like to see Corbs settle in on a regular midweek starter by the time conference play starts.

He has done that the last few years. Hickman was the guy last year, Eder in 2018, Day in 2017. This sets us up nicely for postseason play.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:22 am I would like to see Corbs settle in on a regular midweek starter by the time conference play starts.

He has done that the last few years. Hickman was the guy last year, Eder in 2018, Day in 2017. This sets us up nicely for postseason play.
Having a regular and solid midweek starter also seems to be key to having a good record in midweek games which has often been critical to VU being a national seed. Walker Buehler was the midweek guy one year — 2014 I think.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

PinkFloyd wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am Thomas should be fine ... A lot of them had a nagging this or that. I will revise my "opinion" on the probable starters given everyone is healthy. Again this will change due to unforeseen injuries , poor performance , grades, whatever the reason.

Starting Pitching
Rocker
Hickman
Eder

Relieve Pitching ( long)
Smith I expect Smith to get a couple starts for draft sake

Relieve Pitching ( short)
Murphy
Huff
Kaiser

Closers
Brown I expect Brown to get a couple starts for draft sake
Smith
Murphy Really coming on

Week Day
Doolin
Hliboki
Leiter
Schultz
McElvain

Performance will drive the innings and appearances

C Duvall / Rodriguez / Romero
1st Jones / Keegan
2nd Ray / Kolwyck
3rd Gonzales / Mallory
SS Noland
RF Thomas
CF Martin
LF Davis

DH Hogan or Keegan
Pretty much what I’ve heard as well, with one addition. I have heard some rumblings about Malloy getting some time at 2B. I’ve been off the Ray bandwagon for a while. He’s the weak link in our lineup and wouldn’t start at most other SEC schools. Nice kid, average talent...and average talent doesn’t justify starting at Vandy. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Gonzo get some time at 1st or DH to get Malloy some reps at 3B. Baxter loves Malloy’s bat and wants it in the lineup.
Locked Previous topicNext topic