Great Crowd at the Hawk today.

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Great Crowd at the Hawk today.

Post by DS2001 »

Beautiful afternoon with a filled up infield. Enjoyed meeting some Michigan fans. Saw a lot of new Vandyboys playing today. I have no doubt Corbs will mold them together for another run. Watching Vandy baseball is like a shot of adrenaline in an otherwise dismal football season. Our football and baseball programs could not be more opposite in how they are perceived and perform.

vu2003rpl
Captain

Re: Great Crowd at the Hawk today.

Post by vu2003rpl »

echo the sentiment... crowd was awesome!! a ton of fans came out and the weather was perfect.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Would one of you, or someone else who was there, share with us which players stood out and any other impressions you had. The TV broadcast was terrible. Joe Fisher spent half the game interviewing people in the booth and ignoring the action on the field. New pitchers would take the mound without any mention of their background, their strengths, and in some cases, even their names. Totally ridiculous. The national champs deserved better than they got from that broadcast.
thefan
Captain

The Final Score?

Post by thefan »

?
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Here is a Twitter feed that will help you figure out who the Vandy pitchers were. https://twitter.com/MaxHerzTalks

The replay is available on ESPN+. Here is the link https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=41 ... 27d66fedd0
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Pitchers
Leiter , curve ball was solid, had a hard time locating the fast ball everything was high. 91-93
Doolin , repeated delivery, pitched well reminds me of a young Hickman 88-90
Smith , New mechanics , no extra leg pump, looked more polished, 92-94 had a 10 pitch inning
Hilboki, another solid freshman, nice arm side run on fastball, 88-90
Murphy, good inning, 93-95 Should get some innings this season
McElvain, not bad, missed a pitch location and it cost him.

Did not see Brown or Shultz

Factor in Rock, Hick, Brown, Eder, Huff pitching is not going to be the issue.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Haptown wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:59 pm Here is a Twitter feed that will help you figure out who the Vandy pitchers were. https://twitter.com/MaxHerzTalks

The replay is available on ESPN+. Here is the link https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=41 ... 27d66fedd0
Thanks for the Twitter link. I watched the broadcast live, and it was terrible so the replay is no help. It wasn't until the last three innings that Joe Fisher got around to providing the play-by-play. It was ridiculous.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

CJ Rodriguez looked really good. He was on base a lot and battled every at bat. Looks like he knows how to get on base. Corbs used several pitchers but #40 Stood out to me and the kid from Mt Juliet looked like he was throwing gas. I think he got up to 100 a couple of times. It was a great day for baseball. My 11 year old stayed after to run the bases and shook Kumar Rockers hand in the breezeway before we went out. He is such a nice dude.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Using the UM starting lineup tweeted by Max Herz and checking last year's UM stats, found that they started 4 JR, 2 SR, 1 SO, and at least 1 FR. There were 4 returning starters from 2019 that started more than 60 games each last year, so this was a fairly mature team experience wise.

For Vandy, Harry Ray was the only returning starter in the batting lineup. The rest of the batters only had a total of 42 at bats in 2019.

Returning position players that DNP:
Martin
Duvall
Thomas
Gonzalez
Davis
Adoregold
Seaman

Post by Adoregold »

Cooper Davis did play, he was in right field, but he never batted. CJ Rodriguez batted in his place. I'm not sure why he didn't bat too.
Locked Previous topicNext topic