Not a single story in the Tennessean...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Not a single story in the Tennessean...

Post by historybill »

.. but if you do a google search you will find several articles published in the last two weeks about the possibility of the Baltimore Orioles might move to Nashville.

Probably nonsense. But how is it that the Tennessean doesn't even MENTION it?

The Nashville Business Journal finally did a story.

Just FYI.

vujoe
Vice Admiral

Re: Not a single story in the Tennessean...

Post by vujoe »

Remember Gannett is headquartered about 40 miles from Baltimore.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

It that happens, we might as well schedule all football games in September on the road. Between the Titans and the baseball team, we won't draw 5,000 fans to a game, other than opponents.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I don't think there is much of a chance that it will happen, to be honest. Regardless of who wins the mayor's race, I don't think a major league baseball stadium is in the political cards for Nashville. Also, the Titans will start asking for a new stadium in a few years, and it will almost certainly cost a billion dollars or more.

Nevertheless, it was amazing to me that this could be a topic of discussion in the Baltimore newspapers and never even be mentioned in the Tennessean!

Also, I can absolutely assure you that in 1996, when people first started talking about the Houston Oilers moving to Nashville, most people thought it was nuts.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

historybill wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 am I don't think there is much of a chance that it will happen, to be honest. Regardless of who wins the mayor's race, I don't think a major league baseball stadium is in the political cards for Nashville. Also, the Titans will start asking for a new stadium in a few years, and it will almost certainly cost a billion dollars or more.
Actually, the Titans owner has said publicly that she doesn't want a new stadium, but just wants to do upgrades when the lease is over (which I 100% approve).

I also agree that there is very little chance of Nashville getting a baseball team anytime soon. There is no public money for it, so it would require some super rich person to buy the team, buy land (likely outside of the city), and build a stadium complete self-financed. That just doesn't happen.

it likely hasn't been in the paper because it is just a rumor. If there is nothing to back it up, the paper won't print it.

As for the Titans moving here in 1996, Bud Adams met with the mayor to discuss moving the team here, so there was some credibility.
thefan
Captain

Amazing how many deplore corporate welfare...

Post by thefan »

but approve of the subsidizing of wealthy professional sports owners and players! These owners and players want the citizenry forced to finance the brunt of bad deals so they can reap the monetary cream. The citizenry are suckers, government should not be in the sports entertainment business accommodating the area's wealth being sucked out of their community by players who eventually leave town and owners who live somewhere else. Many athletes have called professional sports slavery, I agree, the "slaves" being the citizens who are forced to subsidize such with higher property taxes and utility bills from their hard earned dollars!
Locked Previous topicNext topic