Kyle Wright to start on the mound tonight for Braves

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Kyle Wright to start on the mound tonight for Braves

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Versus the Nats. His first start for Atlanta since April. He put up very good numbers at AAA Gwinnett while he was gone: 4-0, 1.99 ERA - 31.2 IP, 8 BB, 37 K, .204 BAA - 4 HR

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Kyle Wright to start on the mound tonight for Braves

Post by geeznotagain »

As a Dores fan, I am very happy about this. As a Braves fan, not so much. This is a very important series for the Braves, and in his previous brief stints with the Big Club, Kyle hasn't been very impressive. Keeping my fingers crossed, and wearing my 2019 CWS Champions t-shirt.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 pm As a Dores fan, I am very happy about this. As a Braves fan, not so much. This is a very important series for the Braves, and in his previous brief stints with the Big Club, Kyle hasn't been very impressive. Keeping my fingers crossed, and wearing my 2019 CWS Champions t-shirt.
Well...that was prescient.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Wright did not do well tonight. He was ok for two innings (3 hits, no runs), but he fell apart in the third. A leadoff hit to the pitcher, two poor outfield plays, 3 walks, and a bases loaded double ended his start. 5-1 Nationals, and still need one more out. :(

He just had very little control. Almost every pitch was low and away or right down the middle.

And to put more fuel on the fire, Strasburg hits a 3 run homer to make it 8-1. 7 of them are charged to Kyle.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Titans309fan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 pm Wright did not do well tonight. He was ok for two innings (3 hits, no runs), but he fell apart in the third. A leadoff hit to the pitcher, two poor outfield plays, 3 walks, and a bases loaded double ended his start. 5-1 Nationals, and still need one more out. :(

He just had very little control. Almost every pitch was low and away or right down the middle.

And to put more fuel on the fire, Strasburg hits a 3 run homer to make it 8-1. 7 of them are charged to Kyle.
Strasburg had 2 hits in the 3rd inning, including the dinger you referenced. Can you say "not ready for prime time"? As you pointed out, "only" 7 runs charged to Kyle. That will do a number on your ERA.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

It sucks because the Braves really need another starter right now. I was hoping Kyle could be it, but did not look like a major league pitcher (and hasn't in his four starts).

While the Braves have been great at late inning comebacks, making up 7 runs is highly unlikely (and the Braves bullpen will likely give up more). At least there are three more games in the series. I will take a split any time.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Wright didn't pitch near as badly as the score indicated. Very poor defensive plays opened the floodgates and Touissant gave up the 3 run homer.
Locked Previous topicNext topic