Martin to CF?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Martin to CF?

Post by Good2BGold »

I wonder if Austin Martin has been playing CF for the USA Baseball in anticipation of moving there next season for VU.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Martin to CF?

Post by commadore »

I'd think, unless we have someone else come in that can do it, we'd have Martin, Cooper Davis, and Isaiah Thomas in the outfield. However, and it could just be our crappy website, Thomas is not currently showing on the roster. Hope that is just some screw-up on the part of the administration.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm I'd think, unless we have someone else come in that can do it, we'd have Martin, Cooper Davis, and Isaiah Thomas in the outfield. However, and it could just be our crappy website, Thomas is not currently showing on the roster. Hope that is just some screw-up on the part of the administration.
The roster at VUCommodores.com is not current, and it was recently ported over from the old site, so hopefully Thomas's name is missing because of a computer glitch. I can't find anything to suggest he is transferring. Martin, Thomas, and Davis would be a potential all-time-great outfield. We would have three speedy centerfielders in the outfield, all of whom can hit. If Martin moves to CF, you figure Gonzalez takes over at third with Ray at second and Duval behind the plate. That leaves shortstop, first base, and DH to be decided. Justyn-Henry Malloy seems to be the next man up at first base. (BTW, I just noticed Malloy isn't on the roster either, nor are any other freshmen, so clearly there's some kind of problem.) If Malloy locks down first, that will leave one big question mark at shortstop with multiple candidates competing for the job. It wouldn't surprise me if Dominic Keegan and Duval share the catching and DH duties, considering how well that worked with Clarke and Duval.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:03 pm
commadore wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm I'd think, unless we have someone else come in that can do it, we'd have Martin, Cooper Davis, and Isaiah Thomas in the outfield. However, and it could just be our crappy website, Thomas is not currently showing on the roster. Hope that is just some screw-up on the part of the administration.
The roster at VUCommodores.com is not current, and it was recently ported over from the old site, so hopefully Thomas's name is missing because of a computer glitch. I can't find anything to suggest he is transferring. Martin, Thomas, and Davis would be a potential all-time-great outfield. We would have three speedy centerfielders in the outfield, all of whom can hit. If Martin moves to CF, you figure Gonzalez takes over at third with Ray at second and Duval behind the plate. That leaves shortstop, first base, and DH to be decided. Justyn-Henry Malloy seems to be the next man up at first base. (BTW, I just noticed Malloy isn't on the roster either, nor are any other freshmen, so clearly there's some kind of problem.) If Malloy locks down first, that will leave one big question mark at shortstop with multiple candidates competing for the job. It wouldn't surprise me if Dominic Keegan and Duval share the catching and DH duties, considering how well that worked with Clarke and Duval.
I emailed Adam Sparks and he emailed back saying he checked and Thomas is still on the roster.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

commadore wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 pm I emailed Adam Sparks and he emailed back saying he checked and Thomas is still on the roster.
Sad when the University doesn't let us know who is on the team, and we have to find out from the beat writer.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

dcdore wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm
Sad when the University doesn't let us know who is on the team, and we have to find out from the beat writer.
Bet Corbin would love to have a set roster at this time of the summer, but this is college baseball and the roster will be in flux until Feb.

Most of the freshmen have not enrolled yet as the fall semester's first day of classes is not until Aug 21. And not all of the commitments have scholarship offers so they can go to any of college without penalty until they enroll. These would be the preferred walk on's. Others that were on the roster last year may not return due to lack of expected playing time, financial reasons, etc.

Vanderbilt baseball has historically been very quiet about roster changes until the official roster has been announced in Feb. As a fan, I will have to wait until the fall baseball series is played to find out who may be on the spring roster, and even then there may be 40+ with walk-ons.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Good2BGold wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:03 pm It wouldn't surprise me if Dominic Keegan and Duval share the catching and DH duties, considering how well that worked with Clarke and Duval.
Could be ... but that depends on how well the two freshmen catchers develop. PerfectGame.org rated Romero as the no. 9 catcher in the Class of 2019 and McElvain as no. 14, so odds are they will be contributors.

If Corbs is not comfortable putting one of them behind the plate, we're not likely to use the sole backup as DH. Keep in mind that in 2019 we had Keegan AND Scott. Scottie caught the majority of 2018 games as I recall, but I can't find those stats currently on vucommodores.com.

I can see John Malcom stepping into that role, but we will find out. Plenty of options.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Haptown wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:17 pm
dcdore wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm
Bet Corbin would love to have a set roster at this time of the summer, but this is college baseball and the roster will be in flux until Feb.

Most of the freshmen have not enrolled yet as the fall semester's first day of classes is not until Aug 21. And not all of the commitments have scholarship offers so they can go to any of college without penalty until they enroll. These would be the preferred walk on's. Others that were on the roster last year may not return due to lack of expected playing time, financial reasons, etc.

Vanderbilt baseball has historically been very quiet about roster changes until the official roster has been announced in Feb. As a fan, I will have to wait until the fall baseball series is played to find out who may be on the spring roster, and even then there may be 40+ with walk-ons.
Hap...you appear to be aware of VU’s scholarship situation and I have been trying to get things clear in my old, worn-out brain. It is my understanding that if you have a baseball scholarship, any money you receive from Opportunity VU counts toward the “baseball pool”. Example: if you receive a 1/2 baseball scholly and $30,000 from Opportunity VU, you would count as 1 full baseball scholly.....is that correct? If so, some of the players who come from less affluent backgrounds would be better served (as well as the baseball team) to not accept the baseball scholly and rely on Opportunity VU to fund their education, since they would receive much more assistance. I believe this is where the Ms. schools get their panties in a wad. Opportunity VU is available for every student, therefore, if you are accepted into school, this is an option for you. Is this how you see it?
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Martin will be playing center field next year. Davis will be in left. Thomas will be in right. I think the outfield is set.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

as is 2b (Harry Ray) and C (Ty). Jayson at 3B or 1B. Maybe J-Henry at 1B. Tate Kolwyck at SS?
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Malcom and Malloy will both push for playing time on the IF. Gonzalez will as well. Those 3 are probably your corner infielders and DH, in some mixture.

Ray is not a certainty at 2B. With the incoming class and development of last year's class over their first summer, we simply have too much MIF talent for Ray not to be pushed. My guess is he will get passed by someone (or multiple players) over the off-season and play a super-utility role in the spring, giving rest to starters at many different positions. Harry has some skills, but none are truly elite.

As for the roster, with the incoming class and our roster losses to he draft, I count 38 players for 2020. This includes the loss of Makenzie Stills to transfer, so it should be close to current. That means we will have 3 more defections or "red-shirts" (or some combination of the two) prior to the Spring.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

The FB & BB rosters have been updated....the Baseball roster is a year behind not counting the changes from this year. Infante is listed as a Junior when he is a graduating Senior
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Nashmann wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 pm The FB & BB rosters have been updated....the Baseball roster is a year behind not counting the changes from this year. Infante is listed as a Junior when he is a graduating Senior
The FB and BB staff have had a lot of time since the beginning of April to get it done. If you haven't noticed, the baseball staff has been pretty busy until about a week ago. let them enjoy their vacation time as they have definitely earned it. Enjoy the down time from baseball until fall practice begins around the end of Sept, early Oct, That is when the fall practice rosters should be out.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

We're down to 38 on roster. I'd guess at least 2 of the freshmen will redshirt. The other cut will come from either a freshman that doesn't report or another transfer from the existing players.
Locked Previous topicNext topic