Hitting struggles

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Hitting struggles

Post by Ndorefin »

Our first 3 hitters were 0-13 tonight! They are now 3-24 in the last 2 games. I don’t know what is going on, but I believe they are being much too aggressive. I don’t see how we can win if we don’t get some production out of these guys. The whole team appears to be very tight and feeling a lot of pressure. I believe everyone had them as such overwhelming favorites that they cannot relax and play their game. I have never seen Martin pressing like he did tonight....I hope they come out tomorrow loose and let the game come to them instead of feeling they have to win it themselves with every at bat. I don’t believe UM’s pitchers are any better than we’ve faced every series in the SEC and maybe we will respond against their best instead of trying to overpower these guys that throw slow junk.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hitting struggles

Post by charlestonalum »

Tight is the way it looks from the stands - tense and frustrated as well. The off-speed stuff just seems to baffle these good hitters. Don't know how to change the pressure going into title game, but let's hope Corbs just tells them to have fun...
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

The shift has changed line drive hitters into homerun hitters.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

We have some great hitters but they're forgetting a few unwritten rules in baseball. You will not get a fastball down the middle on 0-1 or 1-2. If it looks middle, don't swing as it's gonna drop. Runner on first less than two outs the pitcher will be working you low and away. Tighten your swing, lower your eye level, and drive through it the opposite way instead of swinging at it.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

First time all year Martin hasn't barrelled up breaking stuff. Last mini slump he broke out of with style.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

We really leaned on Rocker last night, along with the incompetence of Michigan's defense, which gifted us three runs. We're not going to have the former luxury tonight, and as solid as Michigan's defense usually is, we likely won't have the latter either (though I will gladly take more runs if they want to give us some). And, unless Hickman is pitching an efficient game, we're going to be relying on at least a couple of arms that are not as good as Brown's.

All that to say, our best hitters really need to break out of this malaise they're in or we might be in some real trouble. During our Super Regional, I became concerned with how reliant we've been on the home run, and that's really been brought out to bear in TD Ameritrade. Sure, we've smacked one each of the last two games, but otherwise we've hit a ton of warning track fly balls and have absolutely unloaded on a few harmless fouls. Our 1, 2, and 3 need to be content with sitting back, getting their pitches, stringing together some line drives, and being smart on the base paths (see: Austin Martin killing a potential rally in Game 1 with an absolutely boneheaded decision). They are great hitters and it's just a matter of getting back to basics and playing team baseball at the plate.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Just need to get current with the language used in the title for this thread;
"Hitting scuffles"
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Dorewithaflare wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 am The shift has changed line drive hitters into homerun hitters.
I've missed a few innings this series but it seems like the shift has worked against us every time. There have been a couple of hard hit balls down the line but every time it seems like the 3rd basemen is basically straddling the foul line. There was a roller up the middle but it looked like the 2nd basemen was standing behind 2nd base and had an easy play. The shift seems to have been scouted really well.

However I dont remember us getting too many lucky breaks with a weakly hit ball right at a gaping hole. Hopefully we'll get a couple tonight.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

4timenatlchamps wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am . During our Super Regional, I became concerned with how reliant we've been on the home run, and that's really been brought out to bear in TD Ameritrade. Sure, we've smacked one each of the last two games, but otherwise we've hit a ton of warning track fly balls and have absolutely unloaded on a few harmless fouls. Our 1, 2, and 3 need to be content with sitting back, getting their pitches, stringing together some line drives, and being smart on the base paths (see: Austin Martin killing a potential rally in Game 1 with an absolutely boneheaded decision). They are great hitters and it's just a matter of getting back to basics and playing team baseball at the plate.
We've only scored 20 runs in 5 games in Omaha (which makes it even more amazing we've gone 4-1). Of those 20, 9 have been from a home run.

Aside from home runs, only 4 other runs have been due to a base hit and each time that base hit only netted one run. We have also scored 3 runs on wild pitch / passed balls. And 3 runs from fielders choices. A bases loaded one out groundout (thankfully scott homered next atbat). The ever popular runners on the corners no out double play. And a runners on the corner one out ground out (unearned no less).

And then throw in a sac fly somewhere gets us to 20 runs.

Aside from the occasional home run, it's been ugly. But we only need to figure out a way one more time!
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 pm Our first 3 hitters were 0-13 tonight! They are now 3-24 in the last 2 games. I don’t know what is going on, but I believe they are being much too aggressive. I don’t see how we can win if we don’t get some production out of these guys. The whole team appears to be very tight and feeling a lot of pressure. I believe everyone had them as such overwhelming favorites that they cannot relax and play their game. I have never seen Martin pressing like he did tonight....I hope they come out tomorrow loose and let the game come to them instead of feeling they have to win it themselves with every at bat. I don’t believe UM’s pitchers are any better than we’ve faced every series in the SEC and maybe we will respond against their best instead of trying to overpower these guys that throw slow junk.
Oh ye of little faith. Good thing the team isn't counting on you to see how we can win. After all, they've only won more games than any team in SEC baseball history, so obviously they know something about winning. Corbs has won more games than any coach in Vanderbilt baseball history, so he knows something about winning, too. They won the SEC tourney by staging one of the most improbable comebacks ever. I really don't understand how anyone can fail to trust this team except that some people simply can't break that SOV habit of expecting to lose and can't stop themselves from sharing their fears with the world. SMH!

For the record, I think we are way more likely to unleash our offense and put ten or more runs on Michigan tonight than we are likely to lose. Go 'Dores! Anchor Down!
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

I sorta feel like tonight's the night they let loose and smash the ball. The Duke series followed the same script:

Game 1 - expected to win but suddenly OMG what's happening?
Game 2 - we really need to win; let's not screw this up
Game 3 - we've survived; let's just play our game and put this away

I was annoyed last night that everyone was going for the long ball. I feel like if we play to get on base, we will do so and score a lot of runs.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

SCSA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am I sorta feel like tonight's the night they let loose and smash the ball. The Duke series followed the same script:

Game 1 - expected to win but suddenly OMG what's happening?
Game 2 - we really need to win; let's not screw this up
Game 3 - we've survived; let's just play our game and put this away

I was annoyed last night that everyone was going for the long ball. I feel like if we play to get on base, we will do so and score a lot of runs.
This
ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Post by ChattaDore »

Or... maybe... we’re in the CWS with the 7 other best pitching staffs in the country and it’s just harder to hit.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

ChattaDore wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:04 pm Or... maybe... we’re in the CWS with the 7 other best pitching staffs in the country and it’s just harder to hit.
But are these pitching staffs any better than what our SEC competition has? Vandy is facing really good starters in this CWS, but they have been facing this level of pitcher all year long.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:48 am
Ndorefin wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 pm Our first 3 hitters were 0-13 tonight! They are now 3-24 in the last 2 games. I don’t know what is going on, but I believe they are being much too aggressive. I don’t see how we can win if we don’t get some production out of these guys. The whole team appears to be very tight and feeling a lot of pressure. I believe everyone had them as such overwhelming favorites that they cannot relax and play their game. I have never seen Martin pressing like he did tonight....I hope they come out tomorrow loose and let the game come to them instead of feeling they have to win it themselves with every at bat. I don’t believe UM’s pitchers are any better than we’ve faced every series in the SEC and maybe we will respond against their best instead of trying to overpower these guys that throw slow junk.
Oh ye of little faith. Good thing the team isn't counting on you to see how we can win. After all, they've only won more games than any team in SEC baseball history, so obviously they know something about winning. Corbs has won more games than any coach in Vanderbilt baseball history, so he knows something about winning, too. They won the SEC tourney by staging one of the most improbable comebacks ever. I really don't understand how anyone can fail to trust this team except that some people simply can't break that SOV habit of expecting to lose and can't stop themselves from sharing their fears with the world. SMH!

For the record, I think we are way more likely to unleash our offense and put ten or more runs on Michigan tonight than we are likely to lose. Go 'Dores! Anchor Down!
There's no need to reply to a level-headed, reasonable post with snark.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

4timenatlchamps wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:20 pm

What there is really no need for is anyone doubting this team. So I can't agree that the OP was either level-headed or reasonable.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Another important stat is that Corbs is 15-7 overall in Omaha (.682). That is miles ahead of any other coach except for Pat Casey (20-10, .667.) Most coaches (even Mainieri and O'Sullivan) have overall losing records in Omaha.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm
4timenatlchamps wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:20 pm

What there is really no need for is anyone doubting this team. So I can't agree that the OP was either level-headed or reasonable.
That’s all he knows is snark! My post had nothing to do with not having faith or being fearful..it was just my observation of why we were struggling. We are vastly superior in talent , so give us your take....it’s not about being SOV. You don’t have to remind anyone of our records, but that doesn’t mean we’re playing well. What is unreasonable about my post???

You really need to get over yourself!! You normally have some good posts, but attacking other’s thoughts must make you feel good about yourself in hoping that you get attention. You’re much better than that and I’m quite surprised you couldn’t come up with a different angle if you disagree with me, but obviously you don’t have anything.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

I hope the percentages take hold and we look like a line-up of .300 hitters tonight.

Put up a crooked number early and I think this line-up will finally relax.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

I feel like the deeper we go with any team is to our benefit. Whether it's a single game going deep into their bull pen or a series where our batters start to warm up.
Unless this starter they were saving for the last night stymies us for 6 innings, I suspect we're going to shell them for the championship.
that's how it's been for the last month and a half anyway.
Locked Previous topicNext topic