James Franklin??

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

James Franklin??

Post by Seadog73 »

Did I just see Coach Jimmy sitting in front of Maggie Corbin, celebrating the 7th inning home run???

egbertsouse
Captain

Re: James Franklin??

Post by egbertsouse »

It sure was. He's a friend of Corbin isn't he?
accent grave over the e
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Great to see!
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Jimmy Franks, Corbs and their wives became best friends when he coached here and have remained close ever since. CJF has been to many Super Regional and CWS games since he left Vandy. That’s a true friendship.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

At the game we saw VU's current HFC and VU's former HFC.

Anyone see Harbaugh?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

dcdore wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:38 pm At the game we saw VU's current HFC and VU's former HFC.

Anyone see Harbaugh?

Also there was our head basketball coach. Did not see our athletic director.
vandywbbfan
Rear Admiral

Post by vandywbbfan »

LawoftheWest wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:46 pm
dcdore wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:38 pm At the game we saw VU's current HFC and VU's former HFC.

Anyone see Harbaugh?

Also there was our head basketball coach. Did not see our athletic director.
Malcolm Turner was there. Not sure where he was sitting at the game but he was at the team send off at the hotel this afternoon.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

SEC Commish is here but not the Big 10 according to local paper.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Self promoting tool.... enough said.

Go Dores!!! Take it tomorrow!!
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Franklin was pretty nice and accommodating. I can state for a fact that I saw him scavenging for souvenir CWS cups (well, a cup anyway) after the game. Thought it was pretty hilarious frankly. And I went up and shook his hand because time heals all wounds.
Michidore
Ensign

Post by Michidore »

Anyone see Harbaugh?
It doesn’t appear that he was in Omaha.

Tonight the Detroit NBC station’s sports news had coverage from Game 2. Then they showed a segment of Jim Harbaugh playing ball in the backyard with his kid. They showed video that appeared to be from Jim Harbaugh’s phone. The kid hit the ball and knocked the phone out of his dad’s hand.

That is typical of a lot of the Michigan coverage. The local media finds a way to make it about Harbaugh.

In many ways it is good that Harbaugh has not been there. I don’t want to think how much attention ESPN would give him. I would rather see them focus on the teams playing the game. Then just brief camera coverage to show others from their University that came to provide support.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Big 10 Commish Jim Delaney ...

Post by Versus75 »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 pm SEC Commish is here but not the Big 10 according to local paper.
... might not want to show his face after being a major part of defeating the proposal to allow a third paid assistant for NCAA D1 College Baseball teams.

The vote was 36-25-3 (I'm guessing 3 abstentions).

"The Big Ten, as expected, voted ‘NO’ on the proposal, but what’s interesting is the league actually had eight votes against the legislation. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney also had four votes as ‘FBS Autonomy Commissioner’, along with the league’s four votes, all for ‘NO’. Losing the Big Ten on this proposal clearly was a killer for the legislation...."

https://d1baseball.com/analysis/vote-ta ... -revealed/
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

oakparkDore wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 pm ... time heals all wounds.
I believe the phrase is: "Time wounds all heels."
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

[quote=oakparkDore post_id=104164 time=1561524405 user_id=227]
Franklin was pretty nice and accommodating. I can state for a fact that I saw him scavenging for souvenir CWS cups (well, a cup anyway) after the game. Thought it was pretty hilarious frankly. And I went up and shook his hand because time heals all wounds.
[/quot

Hopefully being a tool isn't contagious.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I didn’t like the way he left either, especially with the recruits like McSorley. But the dude was there in our section and rooting hard for us. And if Tim Corbin likes him, that’s a good recommendation. He made us relevant in football for a magical few years. I see no point in remaining bitter.

Apparently no one else thinks the fact that he was going down rows looking for a used soda cup 10 minutes after the game ended is funny. But it really was.
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

Oakparkdore I thought it was outrageously funny...a guy getting $5 million a year or so looking for a used plastic cup...by the way do you like in suburban Kansas City. Question based on your handle.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

oakparkDore wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 pm Franklin was pretty nice and accommodating. I can state for a fact that I saw him scavenging for souvenir CWS cups (well, a cup anyway) after the game. Thought it was pretty hilarious frankly. And I went up and shook his hand because time heals all wounds.
Yeah ... I still just root against Penn State.

He came in and did some good winning for us ... accompanied by bringing in low character guys that got our program embroiled in a rape scandal, left our program for the big time after repeatedly telling recruits that if they wanted to listen to big time programs then go already because he wants guys here who want to be here, and then stole half our recruiting when he left, starting to recruit for Penn State before he resigned here.

Good riddance.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

More on this from Larry Brown Sports blog:

Penn State coach James Franklin supporting Vandy at CWS
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

oakparkDore wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:55 am I didn’t like the way he left either, especially with the recruits like McSorley. But the dude was there in our section and rooting hard for us. And if Tim Corbin likes him, that’s a good recommendation. He made us relevant in football for a magical few years. I see no point in remaining bitter.

Apparently no one else thinks the fact that he was going down rows looking for a used soda cup 10 minutes after the game ended is funny. But it really was.
He will have them up on ebay if Michigan win
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Pretty sure Franklin showed up in Omaha at some point in both 2014 and 2015.
Locked Previous topicNext topic