Winner tonight doesn’t play Friday

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Winner tonight doesn’t play Friday

Post by Ndorefin »

If we win tonite, we don’t have to play Friday. Saturday will begin a single elimination with the final 4 teams...the 2 winners from Thursday nite and the 2 winners from Friday.

CLTDore
Captain

Re: Winner tonight doesn’t play Friday

Post by CLTDore »

Is this the way it's always worked? I seem to remember it being double elimination all the way through...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

At one time, when we were a 12 team conference it was. Teams would beat themselves up to win and then lose early in the big tourney.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

CLTDore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm Is this the way it's always worked? I seem to remember it being double elimination all the way through...
This particular format has been in effect starting in 2013.
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

Titans309fan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:39 pm
CLTDore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm Is this the way it's always worked? I seem to remember it being double elimination all the way through...
This particular format has been in effect starting in 2013.
Guess I've been living under a rock.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

CLTDore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Guess I've been living under a rock.
It's probably because Vandy hasn't done anything in the tournament in a few years. If Vandy isn't playing, I don't pay attention to the tournament.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Didnt it used to be a true double elimination? Where even in the finals if one team was undefeated and the other had one loss, that the one loss team had to win back to back games? And then I think they got rid of that 20 years ago or so where they changed the final to a one game winner take all regardless of record.

And now theyve changed it again where the semi-final is a one game winner take all regardless of the fact that you'll have a one loss team and an undefeated team. Makes sense. Too many potential games otherwise.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

fldore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 pm Didnt it used to be a true double elimination? Where even in the finals if one team was undefeated and the other had one loss, that the one loss team had to win back to back games? And then I think they got rid of that 20 years ago or so where they changed the final to a one game winner take all regardless of record.
Up through 1997, it was that way. It was changed in 1998 to follow the Ohama format used by the CWS, and the two bracket winners faced off in a single elimination championship.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I really like this format. Going into Sat’s game, we still have an advantage by being undefeated in that we only have to use a third starter. State will be using their 4th starter and LSU will be using their 5th (on Sat.) From our standpoint, this is similar to a regular week as we play a max of 4 games....anything more than that and you begin to have to use tired or inexperienced arms.
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

Ndorefin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am I really like this format. Going into Sat’s game, we still have an advantage by being undefeated in that we only have to use a third starter. State will be using their 4th starter and LSU will be using their 5th (on Sat.) From our standpoint, this is similar to a regular week as we play a max of 4 games....anything more than that and you begin to have to use tired or inexperienced arms.
And both State and LSU essentially played an extra game Wednesday night/Thursday morning.
Locked Previous topicNext topic