I hate the whistler(s)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

KudzuLeague
Captain

Re: I hate the whistler(s)

Post by KudzuLeague »

It's incredibly annoying. Awful. Hate is not too strong a word.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Vandy Whislters.jpg
Vandy Whislters.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
Picture from Adam Sparks article: they are not anonymous - he published their names and their story. They are ardent VU fans and they do lead cheers with their cadence whistles. If you listen carefully you will hear and or see how effective they are at mobilizing VU fans. Hopefully those of you who are so opposed to them will mellow as I have over the years. We lost a great deal when we lost Vandy Lance and I would hate to see us lose again...

As for Coach Corbin read his take on the Whistlers:
“As far as I’m concerned, there are a lot of things that happen at different ballparks around the country — whether it’s (cowbells ringing at) Mississippi State or (rowdy fans at) LSU or whatever — and that’s just personal to them,” Corbin said. “Anyone who has the passion and energy to sustain that type of noise throughout a game, more power to them.”
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Because I don't want to be them.

"Out of curiosity, those of you who say this makes VU look bad to other SEC fan bases, why do you care? I’ve had Vol fans spit on me, Ole Miss fans deny me service (getting food after the game), drunk KY fans spew spittle in my face while they talk trash, A&M fans throw things at me, and countless other negative interactions with other SEC fan bases. I don’t judge every fan based of these people. Why does anyone give a damn what they think?"
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

It is annoying as hell - just trying to draw attention to themselves. Do you want people to know that "Vandy fans are in the house" due to obnoxious behavior by a couple of fans ?
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I'm more annoyed by the Ole Miss pretty boys and their Hotty Toddy crap. And obnoxious visiting fans in our stadium. I don't like other schools' fans acting like they own the place.

As long as the guys are doing it for the right reasons, then I am okay with it.
ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Post by ChattaDore »

Based on the email response I got from the athletic department they are torn. They get the annoyance but they also understand that these two are great fans. The main point of the response said: “This is not the first I have heard of this. I can’t give you an answer as of now
But it is on my radar.
Thanks for being a fan and feel free to reach out anytime sir.”

I’m pleased with the response and am glad I’m not in their shoes having to decide to address it or not.

I’m wondering if the bottom line isn’t: are the players and coaching staff okay with it?
KAVandy05
Petty Officer

Post by KAVandy05 »

Love the whistlers.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

There is a compromise. If somehow they could just be directed to whistle to start rallies or during rallies or some such, it would be just fine with me. It’s the fact that it is utterly constant that makes it so awful.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Might as welll ban cheering or singing rocky top or whatever.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

vujoe wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 am Might as welll ban cheering or singing rocky top or whatever.
A ban on incessant whistling AND a ban on rocky top? COOL! Sign me up!

dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

vujoe wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 am Might as welll ban cheering or singing rocky top or whatever.
Oh God! The whistling is kindergarten compared to the incessant Rocky Top.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

The Whistler(s) need to stop. It's incredibly annoying and it damages our brand. If we've been smart enough to brand "Vandyboys", the last thing we need are the Whistlers ruining the programs reputation. If you don't think that's what is happening, you're blind. They may be nice guys, but they're making it all about them. I hate the cowbells at State, but they've been doing that for decades. Where were these guys 10 years ago? And when they stop, is someone going to take up the mantle as the new whistler? It's not tradition, it's annoyance.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

I think I first became aware of the whistlers back in 2014 during our run to the title, and I hated them. They ruined the broadcasts for me, especially the College World Series games because one of them was near a mic placed in the stands to pick up crowd noise. But now, I hardly notice them. I probably wouldn't want to sit near them at a game, but they no longer ruin the broadcasts for me. I guess I've accepted the fact they are going to be at almost every game, no matter where it is played, so their whistling no longer bothers me. And as Versus75 pointed out, I do notice the whistlers are a catalyst for getting VU fans to make their presence known.
Vandyfan22
Commander

Post by Vandyfan22 »

Shhhh Vandy fans are supposed to be quiet and not ever cheer. SIT DOWN I CAN"T SEE!
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 am There is a compromise. If somehow they could just be directed to whistle to start rallies or during rallies or some such, it would be just fine with me. It’s the fact that it is utterly constant that makes it so awful.
Actually, it's not constant (thank God), but it's random. I'd guess it's most prevalent when we are batting and rallying, but it also happens when we are in the field and the opponents have 2 outs and nothing going on. I don't dispute that they are great fans; I do question the assertion that they do a good job of rallying fan support by whistling. The black/gold cheer is more effective IMO, and gee, maybe they could even do something DIFFERENT every once in a while.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I don't think anyone is saying they/it should be banned. It's a free country and all that. But I wish they would voluntarily stop. Some things are just annoying, especially if they are done over and over AND OVER. Like Trump tweets for example.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Have probably sat with the whistler that leads the cheers about 150 times since the whistling became a thing, so here are a few things that I believe will stop his whistling in a game.
  • 1. Play meaningless games, but ask don't the coach if any game is meaningless as you might be a recipient of the glare!

2. Make sure that the opposing teams don't let a VandyBoy get in scoring position in a close game. This is especially true in a meaningful game. Having multiple runners on base just prolongs the situation as the opposing coach will often bring in raw meat as the new reliever. The whistler just get re-invigorated when this happens!

3. Another problem is the 2-strike clap situation which the Vandy pitchers seem to get into a lot. it is a baseball tradition that most Vandy fans seem to forget at times, so they need a little whistling encouragement. Polite clapping is not an option, so many Vandy fans need to vigorously clap in rhythm when the opposing batter has 2 strikes. It is also OK to clap when he has 3 strikes as well.

4. Whistling is hard work and requires extra nourishment, so bringing the whistler free food might work as experience has shown that he can't whistle and chew at the same time! Be careful with drinks as that may wet his whistle, resulting in unintended consequences for those brave enough to sit in front of the whistler.

5. Ask the coach to make them (the whistlers) stop! The best way would be to join the Champions’ Circle at a level that allows one to attend the monthly luncheons and ask the coach in person. Unfortunately, the monthly luncheons may be over for this year but there is always next year. A few years ago at the end-of-year baseball tailgate, the whistler’s brother asked the coach if he had ever used the advice given by a fan. The coach thoughtfully rubbed his chin as he pretended to be deep in though, and finally replied “No”.
Daniel
Seaman

Post by Daniel »

He and I think his brother are the one that leads the Black/Gold cheer after each run and ends it with Blacccccccck. The whistling, to me have no more affect than clapping to rattle the pitcher, but how am I to say. I think if you that are bothered by it you should stay home, but it won't run me off.

If you have been to a home game and noticed the big black ( and i do mean big) tailgate trailer with the grill, he and a group of friends run that and all profits go to Vandy.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

There is a big difference between being a good fan and making everyone from the umps to the cops outside the ball park mad.They made them quit coming to the girls game.Some people just they have to be in the spot light.
Versus75
Admiral

The Whistlers annoy announcers and opposing fans?

Post by Versus75 »

I'm all for that!

And what does this mean: "They made them quit coming to the girls game."

... Is that why Vanderbilt is the only school in the SEC without a Girls Softball team?
Locked Previous topicNext topic