Explain this please

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Explain this please

Post by commadore »

VU has the number 1 RPI and wins three on the road to Kentucky, who finishes with a 49 RPI. UCLA is #2 in RPI and wins 3 at 58. So what happens? UCLA is now #1 in RPI. How does this happen?

Haptown
Lieutenant

Re: Explain this please

Post by Haptown »

Other teams like Arkansas on the VU schedule lost.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/faq.html
Versus75
Admiral

I can't explain it either ...

Post by Versus75 »

... other than to say, "Look at the raw numbers, not just the rank. UCLA and Vanderbilt are neck and neck."

The entire SEC is much stronger than the PAC-12, ranking no. 1 as a conference compared to no. 4, so one would think that playing Kentucky rather than Washington would give us a leg up. Still, every game across the country impacted the rankings:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conferencerpi

Arkansa lost 2 of 3, but to Texas A&M, another team on Vanderbilt's schedule. The S-O-S and Opponents' S-O-S should have been pushed up just by virtue of those teams playing. Meanwhile, former UCLA opponent Washington State (RPI 214) was playing at former UCLA opponent Utah (RPI 173). That should have dropped SOS throughout the conference.

I don't think it makes much difference either way as UCLA and Vanderbilt are so far in front at this point. The 'Dores should finish no worse than no. 2 even with 2-losses-and-out in the SEC Tournament. UCLA might survive as no. 1 or no. 2 going 1-2 in its final series at Oregon.

Here are the top 10 as of Sunday night according to warrennolan.com

Rank Team ................ RPI ....... SOS
01. UCLA ................ .6376 ..... .5701
02. Vanderbilt .......... .6359 ..... .5821
03. Georgia ............. .6203 ..... .5741
04. Mississippi State ... .6182 ..... .5636
05. East Carolina ....... .6146 ..... .5633
06. Arkansas ............ .6087 ..... .5735
07. Louisville .......... .6044 ..... .5607
08. Oklahoma State ...... .6017 ..... .5878
09. Texas Tech .......... .5988 ..... .5711
10. Georgia Tech ........ .5976 ..... .5713

We can take a look next week at how the RPI and SOS figures change after tournaments and UCLA-Oregon.

My feeling is that the national seeds (1-8) in no particular order will be UCLA, VU, GA, MSU, ECU, UA and ...

... one of Louisville or Georgia Tech from the ACC and one of Oklahoma State or Texas Tech of the Big XII.
Louisville has the edge over GTech in conference record, overall record and RPI, but Georgia Tech won 2 of 3 in a series at Louisville. Oklahoma State has a slightly higher RPI than Texas Tech, but Tech has the better conference record, overall record and a 3-game sweep in Lubbock.

BTW: In terms of S-O-S, 11 of the top 12 teams (Oklahoma State is no. 2) are from the SEC.
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/sos
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

There's no trophy for #1 overall seed, and #2/3 will get the same draw they would have at #1. This will sort itself out over the next 5 weeks.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Commodoredave wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 am There's no trophy for #1 overall seed, and #2/3 will get the same draw they would have at #1. This will sort itself out over the next 5 weeks.
Say what? The number two and three overall seeds will NOT get the same draw as the number one seed. Where did you get that idea?
Versus75
Admiral

Don't know what Commodoredave meant, but ...

Post by Versus75 »

... all of the regional hosts will be tough competition and the difference between 14, 15, 16 is not great. These are the teams that would meet #3, #2 and #1, respectively, in Super Regionals if the hosts all win.

I will use this one recent bracketology as an example: https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/ba ... acketology

It has UCLA (#1) paired with UCSB (#16), but some of that may have to do with school location. If UCLA ends up as #2, you might find it paired with UCSB at #15.
The same projection has Vanderbilt (#2) paired with East Carolina (#15). I hope not, because I predicted ECU would be a top-8 National Seed.
Mississippi State (#3) is paired with Oklahoma State (#14). I know that Vanderbilt pounded OSU in the fall, but lightning doesn't always strike twice. I don't care to swap that matchup with MSU.

I would rather face Stanford (#5 in the csm bracketology but in my opinion overrated by the pollsters), North Carolina State (#10) or Texas Tech (#12).

Should the National Seeds all win the Supers, #1 would be in a bracket with #8, #4 and #5. The other bracket would include #2, #7, #3 and #6.
UCLA (#1) could face Louisville (#8) with Reid Detmers in the opening matchup and then Arkansas or Stanford. Vanderbilt's potential foes would be Georgia, then Mississippi State or Georgia Tech.

I don't see that it makes much difference.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

I just Vandy can do better than they did as the #1 seed in 2007 and #2 seed in 2013. Being a top seed doesn't seem to mean much in baseball. Only one #1 seed and two #2 seeds have ever won the CWS, and it hasn't happened since 2001.

#3 seed has won it the most out of the top 8 seeds, though just 3 times total (including the last two years).
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

It is really hard to win the thing - a lot of good bounces and a lot of dare I say it - good luck. I'm hoping we make it to Omaha and then have a lot of good fortune and win it again.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Don't know what Commodoredave meant, but ...

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm ... all of the regional hosts will be tough competition and the difference between 14, 15, 16 is not great. These are the teams that would meet #3, #2 and #1, respectively, in Super Regionals if the hosts all win.

I will use this one recent bracketology as an example: https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/ba ... acketology

It has UCLA (#1) paired with UCSB (#16), but some of that may have to do with school location. If UCLA ends up as #2, you might find it paired with UCSB at #15.
The same projection has Vanderbilt (#2) paired with East Carolina (#15). I hope not, because I predicted ECU would be a top-8 National Seed.
Mississippi State (#3) is paired with Oklahoma State (#14). I know that Vanderbilt pounded OSU in the fall, but lightning doesn't always strike twice. I don't care to swap that matchup with MSU.

I would rather face Stanford (#5 in the csm bracketology but in my opinion overrated by the pollsters), North Carolina State (#10) or Texas Tech (#12).

Should the National Seeds all win the Supers, #1 would be in a bracket with #8, #4 and #5. The other bracket would include #2, #7, #3 and #6.
UCLA (#1) could face Louisville (#8) with Reid Detmers in the opening matchup and then Arkansas or Stanford. Vanderbilt's potential foes would be Georgia, then Mississippi State or Georgia Tech.

I don't see that it makes much difference.
What you say about location affecting the seeding is no longer true. That was a factor in the past, but in 2018 they began seeding 1-16, and there is no longer a geographic consideration.
Locked Previous topicNext topic