Kendal Cheesman in the Transfer Portal

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandyfan52
Ensign

Kendal Cheesman in the Transfer Portal

Post by vandyfan52 »

It is being reported by Raoul on his Twitter page that Kendal Cheesman has entered her name into the transfer portal.
May not be surprising but still hurts a bit. Grateful for all her contributions this year and best of luck to her in her future endeavors.

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Re: Kendal Cheesman in the Transfer Portal

Post by bornadore57 »

Wishing her all the best!!!
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Many of us saw this one coming. I would’ve loved to have seen her play a little more, but I guess they have their reasons for how things transpired…. Coach Ralph is gonna have to dig a little more into that portal.

Good luck to Kendal (and De’Mauri… who I’m a little more bummed about leaving. I think she will mature into a solid guard. And, she did give us a half court shot make this season ;)
SV#
tim4vandy
Rear Admiral

Post by tim4vandy »

Wasn't she the (her) state Gatorade POY and also a state 3pt shooting champion?
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

tim4vandy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm Wasn't she the (her) state Gatorade POY and also a state 3pt shooting champion?
I know she had a stellar high school career and was a highly rated recruit. Who knows? Maybe it was an academic issue, homesick or it just wasn't the right fit under a coach that didn’t recruit her?

So, let’s hope we don’t have any other exits… I understand, but loathe the transfer portal.
SV#
Mepisciotti
Seaman Recruit

Post by Mepisciotti »

I can Assure you it is not either of the first two you listed. Such a stand up teammate and incredible loss on so many levels.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

She is an exceptional student and I believe she was all about being a Commodore. It was obvious when the SEC games began that she wasn’t really in the rotation and it’s a credit to her character, she stuck it out. I kept hoping she would come around, as she could certainly shoot and was a good rebounder. I just don’t think she was quick enough to play in the SEC. I believe she would have stayed if she had felt like her development would lead to more playing time. She is the epitome of what we want for a student athlete and I believe she will be able to contribute in the right situation. I wish nothing but the best for her and I’m certain she will be a success in whatever she chooses!
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:59 pm She is an exceptional student and I believe she was all about being a Commodore. It was obvious when the SEC games began that she wasn’t really in the rotation and it’s a credit to her character, she stuck it out. I kept hoping she would come around, as she could certainly shoot and was a good rebounder. I just don’t think she was quick enough to play in the SEC. I believe she would have stayed if she had felt like her development would lead to more playing time. She is the epitome of what we want for a student athlete and I believe she will be able to contribute in the right situation. I wish nothing but the best for her and I’m certain she will be a success in whatever she chooses!
I seemed nothing but a fine person. You are correct - entirely too slow for this conference.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

VandyDan78 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:55 pm
tim4vandy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm Wasn't she the (her) state Gatorade POY and also a state 3pt shooting champion?
I know she had a stellar high school career and was a highly rated recruit. Who knows? Maybe it was an academic issue, homesick or it just wasn't the right fit under a coach that didn’t recruit her?

So, let’s hope we don’t have any other exits… I understand, but loathe the transfer portal.
Not so highly rated. That she was Gatorade Florida Player of the year mystifies me. She was not in ESPN top 100. Ranked #78 by prospect Nation and #340 by ASGR. Definitely more of a DII player.
Mepisciotti
Seaman Recruit

Post by Mepisciotti »

Know her Vanderbilt bio was not updated to include her senior year. Saying she is not highly rated is not a fair statement. She was a highly recruited prospect and committed to Vanderbilt early with different staff. Aside from her stellar high school career, she is an exceptional student and teammate. Let’s just file it under the not a fit folder.

Gatorade POY
Max prep POY
PassThaBall All American
7A POY
7A state champion
All time scoring, rebounding and block leader for high school
3 yr team captain
4 yr 1st team all Hillsborough county
4* prospect nation
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

HuskyT wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 am

Not so highly rated. That she was Gatorade Florida Player of the year mystifies me. She was not in ESPN top 100. Ranked #78 by prospect Nation and #340 by ASGR. Definitely more of a DII player.
Disagree. She garnered a fair amount of accolades in high school. Saying she is more of a DII player is just not fair.
SV#
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

VandyDan78 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:45 pm
HuskyT wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 am

Disagree. She garnered a fair amount of accolades in high school. Saying she is more of a DII player is just not fair.
I will say I saw some high school video and she was not quick. I saw her once early this year and saw she was a defensive liability. She might be ok as a mid major player or as a spot shooter on a team that has a lot of talent around her. Accolades in high school many times do not really tell the story. Ralph put her in the lineup early seeing if she could help but quickly moved away from her. Believe me if she could have made a difference she would have gotten minutes. Dahlman had great high school accolades and was a hustler but nowhere near what she was touted to be. The key to a great recruiter is one that can project how someone will do in college.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

…. Staying in Nashville.

SV#
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I had a strong feeling that’s where she would go…I hope she doesn’t come back to haunt us like Kylee Smith did. Regardless, I’m happy for her and believe she will be a good fit for their program!
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

No question she’ll be able to develop as a player more if she plays on a team that’s a better fit for her skill set. Once VU went all-in on a ball hawking, full court press, the die was pretty much cast. Hope to see her shine at Belmont!
got moxie?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

wish her nothing but the best.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Re:

Post by Doubledore »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:11 pm I had a strong feeling that’s where she would go…I hope she doesn’t come back to haunt us like Kylee Smith did. Regardless, I’m happy for her and believe she will be a good fit for their program!
Big difference was No Defense White was the coach then when Kylie tore us up. Probably a very similar player as Cheeseman.
Locked Previous topicNext topic