Sarah Ashlee Barker Transferring From Georgia

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Sarah Ashlee Barker Transferring From Georgia

Post by MikeADore »

The sophomore guard started all 31 games for Georgia and averaged 7.7 PPG, 4.0 RPG, and 2.4 APG. Good player. She's former Alabama QB Jay Barker's daughter. Something tells me she could be taking a tour of College Station with Joani Taylor soon.

Taylor had a top-10 recruit from Monteverde Academy in Florida coming in next year. Will be interesting to see if she sticks by her commitment. They're already lost '23 pg commit Diana Collins after Taylor announced she was leaving.

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Sarah Ashlee Barker Transferring From Georgia

Post by MikeADore »

MikeADore wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 pm Taylor had a top-10 recruit from Monteverde Academy in Florida coming in next year. Will be interesting to see if she sticks by her commitment. They're already lost '23 pg commit Diana Collins after Taylor announced she was leaving.
The top recruit, 6'3 Janiah Barker, has re-opened her recruitment after signing with Georgia. I figure either A&M with Taylor, Ole Miss or LSU. Just guessing though. She's a prima donna and would fit right in with Mulkey or Yo. Watched her play a high school game where she ran up the floor blowing kisses to the crowd after making a play and was constantly trying to draw attention to herself. Not my cup of tea, but she's a high school kid, so maybe she'll mature out of it. She's big and athletic.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

She had a lousy year this year, but Barker is very good. Saw her play several times in high school against Hoover, and 3-4 more games in the state tournament. There were some family issues this past year, well documented in the local Bham press, that might have been a distraction. a
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:41 am She had a lousy year this year, but Barker is very good. Saw her play several times in high school against Hoover, and 3-4 more games in the state tournament. There were some family issues this past year, well documented in the local Bham press, that might have been a distraction. a
Yeah. I like her a lot. She has a lot of grit to her. I have a feeling she might follow coach Taylor, but I have absolutely no inside information. Just seems natural.

Coach Ralph has said very little about her feelings on transfers. I do recall an early question about building the team and whether she would lean into the transfer portal. Her response was something like, "No, not really. We don't want to try to take shortcuts."

Still, that's not an absolute refusal. Folks on the UConn board said one of their assistants started following Barker on Instagram or Twitter when she entered the portal, so she's good enough to at least get some notice from them. My 100-percent amateur assessment is that Barker could definitely help this team for the next three years, and she appears to have the kind of hard-nosed attitude that could fit coach Ralph's philosophy. And, a three-year player is not really a short cut.

I've seen no indication that Vandy is interested, but, as we know, Vandy WBB recruiting is a complete mystery. I've become such a fan of this program that I, for the first time ever in any sport, have actively tried to dig up recruiting information. So far, it's a lot of effort with very little payoff.
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

Bama. Announced on Twitter a couple of hours ago.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

DoreRayMe wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:40 pm Bama. Announced on Twitter a couple of hours ago.
She will play bc they lost a lot of players.
Locked Previous topicNext topic