Brinae Alexander to move on from Vandy and enter the transfer portal

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Brinae Alexander to move on from Vandy and enter the transfer portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

She will be graduating this year and still has a year of Covid eligibility remaining.

[tweet][/tweet]

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Brinae Alexander to move on from Vandy and enter the transfer portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

She has the degree and like most of us has to go on with her life. Wishing her the best.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Not surprising but still sad in the way that it always is when someone you care for is going away. On the other hand, if I'm Kendal Cheesman, Demauri Flournoy, the incoming Ryanne Allen or maybe even possible recruit Avery Strickland, this would light a fire under me. They can all score, and Brinae's departure means we need a scorer to step up.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:07 am She will be graduating this year and still has a year of Covid eligibility remaining.

[tweet][/tweet]
She also has a medical redshirt year from when she tore her achilles, so, if she wants to, she can play two more years elsewhere. She might want to experience another part of the country, but, if not, I'd love to see her at a Lipscomb or Belmont or even hometown MTSU. She's a mature young lady, and I think she'll chose wisely.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Thanks for the official word. I think the tea leaves have been saying that she's moving on, now we're just keeping our fingers crossed that Jordyn decides to pursue grad study here and play bball for one more year. And oh yes, we have additional fingers crossed that no one else enters the portal.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Thank you Brinae - You will be missed, but we wish you nothing but success, happiness, & a fulfilling future. It has been a joy to watch you these past years - smooth & silky on the court, wonderful leader, tough competitor, & great character.
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Y'all are really good at being gracious when these kids leave. :roll: I know they gotta do what's right for them, but I still hate seeing them use their top-dog status on a middling team as a way to jump ship and get on a team with title hopes. How can the middling team build any momentum?

On the other hand, VU has a glut of 5-8 to 5-10 guards, so next up, amiright?

And maybe there are some even better grad transfers out there who don't have 1-to-2 assist-to-turnover ratios who want that VU grad degree! It's a two-way street, so come find us, mid-major or Ivy studs!

Okay, I'm over it! Good luck and all that, transfers. Do what you gotta do.
:D SV#
got moxie?
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Had read previously she was interested in a pharmacy degree & VU does not have. I just hope it is not an SEC school, but several of them do have pharmacy degrees. (Though UT's is in Memphis) Hate to lose our athletes but she gave us all she had thru some extremely trying times & didnt jump ship like others & that should be appreciated. We have all made career decisions that caused us to relocate. Sounds like she had given staff heads up of plans so they could plan accordingly. Thank you Brinae.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Doesn't Kentucky have a highly rated pharmacy program? No to Kentucky. Just no.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

moxiedore92 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 pm Y'all are really good at being gracious when these kids leave. :roll: I know they gotta do what's right for them, but I still hate seeing them use their top-dog status on a middling team as a way to jump ship and get on a team with title hopes. How can the middling team build any momentum?

And maybe there are some even better grad transfers out there who don't have 1-to-2 assist-to-turnover ratios who want that VU grad degree! It's a two-way street, so come find us, mid-major or Ivy studs!

That’s a little harsh…. It’s not like she left as an undergrad! She gave it everything she had and could have left last year, but she was loyal and returned to get her degree!
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:58 pm
moxiedore92 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 pm Y'all are really good at being gracious when these kids leave. :roll: I know they gotta do what's right for them, but I still hate seeing them use their top-dog status on a middling team as a way to jump ship and get on a team with title hopes. How can the middling team build any momentum?

That’s a little harsh…. It’s not like she left as an undergrad! She gave it everything she had and could have left last year, but she was loyal and returned to get her degree!
If it's harsh to point out the deficiencies in a former player's game, then I am harsh. I have nothing against Alexander but wanted to see her and Jordyn go nuts next year and get this program back where it belongs. Turnovers plagued the team all year and so that sticks out as a real opportunity for the team to get better. Her announcement felt like a step backward for the program and that brought out my snark. But it sounds like a business decision that everyone on the inside knew was coming so I certainly respect her commitment to getting her VU degree.
got moxie?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Dore2Dore wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:23 pm Had read previously she was interested in a pharmacy degree & VU does not have. I just hope it is not an SEC school, but several of them do have pharmacy degrees. (Though UT's is in Memphis) Hate to lose our athletes but she gave us all she had thru some extremely trying times & didnt jump ship like others & that should be appreciated. We have all made career decisions that caused us to relocate. Sounds like she had given staff heads up of plans so they could plan accordingly. Thank you Brinae.
Wow. Hope she has looked into this carefully. PharmD requires two undergrad years of very specific coursework then 3-4 years of pretty tough grad school. Was she able to get the required undergrad stuff at VU ? Site shows her major as Psychology. Wish her the best and do hope she gets good academic advice before making any decision.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:58 pm

That’s a little harsh…. It’s not like she left as an undergrad! She gave it everything she had and could have left last year, but she was loyal and returned to get her degree!I w
I couldn't help snickering at moxiedore's post - that was some well-done snark!

Anyhow, I think it's always understandable when players transfer after completing their degrees. I remember how I felt after graduating from college, that feeling that it's time to move on to new things. And I feel like they've fulfilled their obligation to Vanderbilt for their scholarship.

When a player who hasn't gotten her degree decides to move on, I feel a little differently, but still, if a player thinks she isn't a good match for us after all, she probably isn't a good match for us and although it sometimes leaves some gaps in our lineup, I figure it's probably best fosr all concerned.

As the season wound down, I was thinking about our massive departures from last year. Although we might have won more games this year if some had stayed, I think in the long run it's a good thing they left, since it gave our younger players, esp. our frosh, an opportunity for more playing time than they otherwise might have gotten. That's good for us for next year and beyond. I just hope we don't lose anyone else; I think we have a solid core going into next season, and I hope it stays that way.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I don’t feel like we had massive departures last year, as Hall and Newby were graduates and I don’t know if they could have returned if they had wanted. It’s hard to determine how much effect the culture created by our former coach had on Love’s decision, but as dominating as she was at times, I don’t know if her style would have fit into Shea’s system. I can’t help but believe she has been totally disappointed in how her situation has evolved, but, I don’t believe her move has enhanced her future prospects. I wished we were able to see if she could have adapted because she was so talented and could have helped us tremendously with a more controlled approach. Unfortunately, we don’t know how everything transpired, but I can’t help but believe CSR would have maximized her development.
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Glad you appreciated the snark, VW. I was snickering when I wrote it as well. ;)

I think one of the reasons I get a bad feeling from transfers who are also the team's top scorers is because it occurred to me that they've potentially been playing games with the mindset of maximizing their scoring stats. Consider this a tangent to the original thread topic and not specifically about Alexander. If a player goes into a season knowing they're going to move on at the end of the year - whether it's NBA 1-and-dones or transfers - are they thinking, "I'll have more opportunities if am averaging 18 per game instead of 12, and that's more important to me than the team W-L record." I can certainly think of players on the men's side who've played like that was their priority. I think that's partly why Stallings and Drews teams looked so so bad at times.

I'm still grappling with the transfer portal the way it exists right now. I'm all for players finding the right fit, and maybe this is just the way it's going to be now that players are trying to get NIL deals, position themselves for a transfer/pros, and work the portal to their personal advantage, even if it's with an eye toward an advanced degree. Schools are left just hoping they come out ahead when the transfer dust settles.
got moxie?
vandyfan52
Ensign

Post by vandyfan52 »

Committed to Maryland.
Many thanks for her numerous contributions here and all the best to her as she embarks on graduate school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic