Del Rosario Tranfers to Webb School in Bell Buckle

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Del Rosario Tranfers to Webb School in Bell Buckle

Post by MikeADore »

Aalyah Del Rosario, the 13th ranked player in the class of ’23, has transferred to Webb School, about 50 miles down the road in Bell Buckle. I don’t know if she has a Vandy offer in hand, but coach Ralph and Ashley Earley both follow her on twitter, so there’s definite interest. She’s 6’5 and, according to ESPN, has a smooth and powerful post game. Last summer they had her ranked among the Top 10 prospects in the country regardless of class.

On the surface, it seems quite odd that such a highly touted prospect would transfer to such a tiny school (330 students in grades 6 thru 12) in such a tiny, out-of-the-way place, but Webb is not your everyday country school. It has an excellent academic reputation and, the past few years, has excelled in women’s basketball.

There are 19 players on the varsity roster, and seven of those are from a foreign country….eight if you count the Bronx.

Del Rosario is not only a player coveted by many major programs, she is also, by her own account, very academically oriented.

She was born in Texas but grew up mostly in the Dominican Replublic. She’s been back in the states since 7th grade and talks about how her academic performance has increased along with her knowledge of English. She’s transferring from an academy in Trenton, N.J. Bell Buckle might seem more like home to a Dominican girl than New Jersey does.

I don’t know if having her so close gives Vandy any big advantage in this day and age, but it can’t hurt. Obviously, it won’t be hard to get down there to see her and you would think unofficial visits could be easily arranged if she is interested,

I came across her name on the UConn board where someone was lamenting the fact that Del Rosario was transferring into enemy territory, thinking she was going to Webb School in Knoxville. Someone corrected that and said it was actually Nashville. I figured it was probably Bell Buckle, which was correct. There is another Dominican kid on the roster, a year younger and an inch shorter at 6’4. I have no idea how good she is, but in my fantasy, a package deal is not out of the question.

abvandy
Rear Admiral

Re: Del Rosario Tranfers to Webb School in Bell Buckle

Post by abvandy »

MikeADore -- Your input on this board is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

One of Del Rosario's junior teammates, Summer Bostock, committed to Maryland, a possible final-four team, earlier in the week. Another junior on the team, Angelica Velez, a 5'7 point guard, is #37 on the ESPN Hoopgirlz list.

So, the #13 player for '23, the #37 player for '23, and another class of '23 player who is signing with one of the top teams in the country. That's just crazy for a school with 330 students in grades 6-12 out in the middle of the countryside.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Interesting !
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

Your coach has been recruiting ADR for years. Very interesting development. I would suggest that the move was made for academic reasons. Players transfer to many places to get better coaching. If it was a coaching change she could have picked an easier academic scenario. If, as I believe, it was for academic as well as basketball, that could put Vandy right into the mix. It might be a good idea for you who can, go to Webb games decked out in Vandy swag.
Locked Previous topicNext topic