Vandy Poll: Derek Mason

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

How many games should Derek Mason's team win in 2018 for him to be retained as head coach?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:57 pm

1-3
1%
4-5
15%
58%
20%
4%
No votes
10-12
2%

Total votes: 85

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Vandy Poll: Derek Mason

Post by vandy05 »

ANCHORDOWN1 wrote:
vandy05 wrote:
Nashmann wrote:It is going to be very difficult for CDM to win even 5 games next year.Our defense was horrible this year and we lose a ton of starters & significant back up to graduation. Who in the world is going to step up? If they were that good they would have been playing. Our DB's will be the only position not affected as much. I know we swap Bama for Ark, but look who we play as an OOC team....Notre Dame!!! Unless the SEC sucks next year we will be hardpressed to even win 5...
I don't explicitly disagree, but I disagree a little bit. Every year we try to do this with the schedule and you just never know a lot of times. Plus timing of a schedule plays a huge part. I remain convinced that if we had played Florida in the usual early November spot this year we would've beaten them. They were completely off the rails by then.

I would not have pegged Georgia at 11-1 this year or Florida with their record, nor Tennessee with their record. I say all of this to say that I am not going to cut slack for how hard the schedule may or may not be. This year the schedule was perfectly accomodating to get 6 wins and maybe even up to 8 or 9 considering we won 5 and had losses to Kentucky, USCe, Mizzou and Ole Miss.

If you switched the dates of the Florida and Mizzou games, we probably go 7-5.
Agree wholeheartedly. We normally play Florida late in the year in early November. If we get them at that point I think we definitely finish them off. Oh well.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Vandy Poll: Derek Mason

Post by Ndorefin »

Why we are playing Notre Dame is beyond me. It would be a great win, but we have little chance. I would rather play someone on our level from a power 5 Conference, like Duke, Rutgers, Indiana or Kansas....we have to win all our non-conference games to have a good shot for a bowl. 5 wins next year will be tough, but Mason will be retained, regardless.
Locked Previous topicNext topic