Follow-up from Saturday's Junior Day

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Follow-up from Saturday's Junior Day

Post by BrentVU »

Several new offers going out on Saturday with a few select prospects...

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Follow-up from Saturday's Junior Day

Post by BrentVU »

I keep hearing Vandy is really hoping St. Hilaire of Chattanooga-McCallie is their QB commit for 2024...

[tweet][/tweet]

A Grease Gang candidate...

[tweet][/tweet]
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

[tweet][/tweet]
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

[tweet][/tweet]
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I hate to be cynical, but how many of these recruits will actually sign with Vandy? Yet, they all seem to be saying, each in somewhat different words, that they had a terrific time on campus. Maybe their greatest visit ever. You would think by their words that they are raring to sign on the line for the good guys.

My question for posters on this board is, do you think that the coaching staff is only bringing in players whom the coaches think they have a reasonable chance of signing? Another way of asking is how many "reaches" are we hosting?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I imagine that every high school player who the staff is recruiting is (1) an individual they believe they can sell the VU Experience to, (2) that would appreciate and thrive in the VU Experience, and (3) that can be admitted to VU. Are there some recruits who, because of their ranking, family ties, geographic origins, academic interests or abilities etc. are not likely to come to VU, of course. But that doesn't mean you don't try. Otherwise you are admitting failure without trying. And I don't see that in this staff and the transformation in McGugin that the recruits themselves talk about.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

LawoftheWest wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm I hate to be cynical, but how many of these recruits will actually sign with Vandy? Yet, they all seem to be saying, each in somewhat different words, that they had a terrific time on campus. Maybe their greatest visit ever. You would think by their words that they are raring to sign on the line for the good guys.

My question for posters on this board is, do you think that the coaching staff is only bringing in players whom the coaches think they have a reasonable chance of signing? Another way of asking is how many "reaches" are we hosting?
Think of this as the first round of the mating ritual. For Vandy, getting a good group of eligible juniors on campus and making the Vandy pitch with them is a big win, especially if they come from out of state. For most of the prospects, it's early in the process; they may like Vandy, but most of them will have other offers to consider. It's good manners to respond with a "had an amazing time at Vandy, thanks for hosting me" tweet, but ultimately it doesn't mean much; it's like a follow-up letter after an interview.

Note that there were at least three that walked away from the day with Vandy offers. There are a couple of these guys that Vandy would REALLY, really like to have and whom they consider good fits, and the coaches make their best pitch one-on-one with them. Some of them (Martreese Dillard, for example) aren't likely to sign with Vandy, but hey, you got 'em on campus and took your very best shot. Now, see if you can get them to come back for a camp, an official visit, or a gameday visit later in the year, and maybe there's some mutual interest.

Commitments don't usually start rolling in until March or April, but we could see the first one soon.
Locked Previous topicNext topic