In your Tennessean today...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

In your Tennessean today...

Post by BrentVU »

Blake Toppmeyer, Adam Sparks and John Adams powwow on the burning subject: Why is Ole Miss's Lane Kiffin getting more preseason love than UT's Josh Heupel?

On Vanderbilt football? Nada. Beat writer Aria Gerson is AWOL.

Vanderbilt preseason practices have been underway for ten days now: not a single player profile so far, and only one practice report (by Gentry Estes, last Saturday). It's getting a little ridiculous.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: In your Tennessean today...

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

My guess is, they won't be sending anyone to Hawaii, either.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Out of curiosity, I checked her Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/aria_gerson

She's in Boston apparently, getting ready to fly somewhere. Hard to tell how long she's been out of town. Not sure why no one at the Tennessean can cover for her while she's gone.

Just another example of why I am glad I cancelled.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

There are rumors of additional big layoffs coming to Gannett. At this rate, we'll be lucky to have a beat reporter. Aria may be on furlough, something Gannett has implemented for staff previously.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Friends, I know you mean well, but let's give Ms. Gerson a break. If you read back in her twitter feed, she's been on vacation on Cape Cod -- but is back on the job. She tweeted some VandyBoys updates while she was off.

Random Ruminations While Wondering Whatever Happened to...BHoyal, ReVuRb, et al: Aria tweeted a pix crossing the Sagamore Bridge, the traditional entry to the Cape. I love Richard Russo, and his "That Old Cape Magic" is a good one for sitting out in the Adirondacks on an August evening. Although I have crossed it a few times, didn't know the Sagamore Bridge was iconic until I read Russo.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

That should tell you something about Ms Gerson right there. Scheduling your summer vacation at the beginning of fall camp. She still doesn't understand football in the South.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Anytime after the CWS and before SEC media week for football should be okay.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

You guys are tough. I think she does a very good job and would expect her to pick up the pace as soon as she is back. (Although fair to point out that it may have made more sense for her to have taken off in July.)

Nevertheless, honestly fellas, what of great value has ever been disclosed in these pre-season pieces anyway. In my view they are mainly pablum.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Even if she did take vacation (and as I pointed out, she may be on furlough and had no choice), the Tennessean could have assigned someone else to the beat. Gentry Estes found time to do an in-depth interview with Tim Corbin in the last few days.

Also, as the sole Vandy beat writer, there's basically 2-3 weeks out of the year when you are guaranteed there is no Vandy sports to cover--the time between the College World Series and SEC Media Days. That's on the Tennessean to find someone to cover for her.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

dore74 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 pm You guys are tough. I think she does a very good job and would expect her to pick up the pace as soon as she is back. (Although fair to point out that it may have made more sense for her to have taken off in July.)

Nevertheless, honestly fellas, what of great value has ever been disclosed in these pre-season pieces anyway. In my view they are mainly pablum.
Maybe I shouldn't have name-checked Aria, but there is NO excuse for the Tennessean's (lack of) coverage thus far, especially given the daily coverage being given to UT's program. None.

Gentry Estes's report of last Saturday's scrimmage was well worth reading; and Aria has done well at times when given the opportunity. The paper is just making no effort right now.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Aria Gerson is a good reporter and she's going to be a great one. Vandy is fortunate to have her on the beat.

I don't live in the newspaper world, but I assume she's not her own boss/editor. I do wish that at some point I had worked someplace where new employees could take a vacation anytime they wished, as some of you folks must have done.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

So, opened up Friday's Tennessean... below is a list of links to all their player profiles and stories about Vanderbilt preseason football...

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

You'll get no argument from me that the newspaper is a mere shadow of what it once was. But the writers aren't to blame for that. In a way, they're victims of it. I'm sure they wish they had a deeper bench of staffers who could cover when they're off. It's obvious that turnover there is high. I was only saying that surely the very competent beat writer is as entitled to an early August vacation as anyone else in the working world.

I haven't quite shifted into football season yet; I think there's plenty of time for profiles and stories ahead. Plus Vandy FB twitter has been doing a good job with the daily updates that you post. And btw, thanks for doing that!
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

BrentVU wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:27 am So, opened up Friday's Tennessean... below is a list of links to all their player profiles and stories about Vanderbilt preseason football...

Ummm. Did you forget to paste the links, Brent?
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I know some of us are kind of old timers and grew up with the Banner and Tennessean but isn't it time we adapt to modernized civilization and embrace social media and let independent journalists take their turn? I think some on this board (we all know who they are) report and reveal more thorough and more interesting news than the Nashville newspaper(s). Recruiting news breaks first and we have the benefit of seeing the rumors. I think we all know not to take everything literally or believe everything we read but I enjoy deciding that for myself instead of some newspaper editor. I'm shocked that the VandySports channel on Youtube has less than 1,000 subscribers as I enjoy the content. Hopefully, it picks up.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I would not be shocked if she was furloughed. I would find it a little bizarre for someone to take a vacation at the start of fall football camp. It could've happened for sure, but would certainly be strange.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

vandy05 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:00 pm I would not be shocked if she was furloughed. I would find it a little bizarre for someone to take a vacation at the start of fall football camp. It could've happened for sure, but would certainly be strange.
She was present and asking questions at practice on Friday.
Locked Previous topicNext topic