Five Georgia Bulldogs enter transfer portal; Cortez Hankton likely to LSU

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Five Georgia Bulldogs enter transfer portal; Cortez Hankton likely to LSU

Post by BrentVU »

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bull ... KQRAVUD34/

Hankton was WR coach for three years at VU under Derek Mason.

And in other news, David Culley (first African-American QB at VU) has been fired after one year as Houston Texans' head coach... despite being dealt a difficult hand and probably over-achieving. But he is due a boatload of money, so don't fret for him too much.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Five Georgia Bulldogs enter transfer portal; Cortez Hankton likely to LSU

Post by FayetteDore »

From the AJC article:

"Brini and Kimber are significant losses from what already was going to be a totally rebuilt defense next season."
"Robinson is a significant loss from the offense."

Hey, if this keeps up maybe we could move Georgia into the "possible W for VU" column this year? 8-)

Seriously though, this astounds me even more than the Alabama defections Brent posted earlier. What inference can be made of starters leaving the NC team so quickly, other than holding themselves out for bigger NIL payoffs? IS there another interpretation that I'm missing?

Wonder how long it will be before players are able to start listing their NIL demands and an eBay-style bidding function as part of their portal profiles? :shock:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Five Georgia Bulldogs enter transfer portal; Cortez Hankton likely to LSU

Post by vandy05 »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am From the AJC article:

"Brini and Kimber are significant losses from what already was going to be a totally rebuilt defense next season."
"Robinson is a significant loss from the offense."

Hey, if this keeps up maybe we could move Georgia into the "possible W for VU" column this year? 8-)

Seriously though, this astounds me even more than the Alabama defections Brent posted earlier. What inference can be made of starters leaving the NC team so quickly, other than holding themselves out for bigger NIL payoffs? IS there another interpretation that I'm missing?

Wonder how long it will be before players are able to start listing their NIL demands and an eBay-style bidding function as part of their portal profiles? :shock:
I'm a player empowerment person, which all of you who are regular posters will surely know about me, but you have to call it like you see it. The only rational explanation for this is not empowerment, but entitlement. Players are told from a young age that they're the next best thing and they should be starting. If they don't start (even on a national title team), they feel slighted. It used to be if a player didn't like a coach, they had to gut it out a bit. But not anymore. You don't have to have any grit or toughness to work your way up the depth chart. You just transfer out.

I will stand by my statement that I've made before. The players who transfer are generally not the players you want. The portal changes that a little bit, and you can be discerning in selecting players. But for the most part, I think players who transfer out are guys looking for a shortcut and not guys who are looking to earn their playing time. So I don't actually get too hung up on us getting transfers in (though I accept that as a reality). Just my two cents.
Locked Previous topicNext topic