OT: UGa 33 UA 18 Final

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: UGa 33 UA 18 Final

Post by Go Vandy! »

Happy for Nick.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: UGa 33 UA 18 Final

Post by FayetteDore »

So when the scores of their two games (SECCG & NC) are totaled, Bama wins 59-57.

And the Ugas demonstrate redneck behavior on an earlier call:
From AL.com
Georgia fans threw beer from the upper deck and bottles on the field Monday night during the College Football Playoff national championship in protest of the official confirmation of a fumble recovered by Alabama.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

First half, yawn. Second half, interesting, until the Dawgs put it away with the pick-6 towards the end.

The size, mobility, speed and quickness of the players from both teams we can only dream of. Congrats to Kirby for beating his mentor.

I hope that we can improve to the point where we are rather competitive with the elites.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Looks like some of the UGA fans either attended UT or took lessons from UT fans, with the beer and bottle throwing from the upper deck.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Bama lost that game in the first half. Running the ball 3-4 yards a play, the passed on first and goal and put themselves in a hole. Run it and I think they score TDs twice. The old Saban would have run it three times. I

He didn't and they didn't win.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

You can't overlook the loss of Bama WR Jameson Williams early in the second quarter to injury. He scored two TDs against Georgia in the SECCG. And Bama had already lost two running backs to injuries earlier in the season.

Saban exhibited total class after the game, telling media "I love Kirby!"

As for the Georgia fans, they got the lyrics wrong: It should be "Ain't nothing WORSE in the land, than a drunk, obnoxious Georgia fan.”
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We get to play them both next year - that might be a challenge.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 am We get to play them both next year - that might be a challenge.
Now that's funny right there. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Last edited by FayetteDore on Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Alabama was effectively decimated by injuries, although Georgia might have won anyway. It's hard to beat a good team twice. Not the first time a national championship game has been a replay of a recent matchup.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:20 pm So when the scores of their two games (SECCG & NC) are totaled, Bama wins 59-57.

And the Ugas demonstrate redneck behavior on an earlier call:
From AL.com
Georgia fans threw beer from the upper deck and bottles on the field Monday night during the College Football Playoff national championship in protest of the official confirmation of a fumble recovered by Alabama.
It was a terrible call, typical pro-Alabama. The refs were ACC refs but that was awful. If it had cost Georgia the gane, I can understand Georgia fans being upset.

In the first quarter, as the Alabama quarterback Bryce Young was being sacked, he threw a pass into the ground. There were no receivers around. A Georgia player picked it up and took it into the end zone and at first they signaled touchdown. But after the review, they said it was an incomplete pass. They didn’t even call intentional grounding.

The exact same situation happened later in the game to Georgia’s quarterback Stetson Bennett. As he was throwing the ball he was hit. The refs called it a fumble and then reviewed it and said “If it wasn’t a fumble it was intentional grounding,” even though that pass actually went forward (unlike Young’s pass, which just went into the ground) and the ball was under thrown because Bennett’s arm was hit as he was throwing it, so it has no chance of getting to the receiver he was trying to throw it to. After the review they still ruled a fumble. Alabama ball. (The Alabama defender nonchalantly retrieved the ball as he was going out of bounds. Even Alabama’s players thought that was an incomplete pass, they weren’t in a rush to retrieve it and try to score.)

Ridiculous. You can’t have it both ways. If you let Alabama’s quarterback get away with it you have to let Georgia’s quarterback.

Certainly you shouldn’t throw trash on the field during games because of bad calls, like UT fans, but that was an awful call. Thankfully it didn’t cost them the game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic