OT: NIL, Texas style

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

OT: NIL, Texas style

Post by LawoftheWest »

Today's Austin newspaper has an article about UTexas boosters starting a $10miilion NIL fund for athletes. Whether the group will ever reach their dollar goal is questionable. But, the school does have many very wealthy alumni who support their athletics.

If Texas boosters do reach their goal, then in my view it is a perversion of the NIL intent. And, if they do reach their goal, then they will have a huge unfair recruiting advantage. Money has been a driving force in college sports. Now it is escalating to a new level. Sad. Yet, good for at least some college athletes.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: NIL, Texas style

Post by FayetteDore »

Interesting. I haven't read anything about this other than this post. Would the booster group display players' name, image or likeness, or simply provide the money for a front business to pay? I don't know enough about the NIL rules to know whether it's a violation but you're right, it's a perversion of how the concept was sold. But I'm not sure it wasn't predictable. Money seeps in, then floods in.

Without getting too political, it reminds me of how the concept of charter schools was sold when it was being lobbied in the state legislature: local groups of parents and educators would apply for charters to operate a public school, with public funding, mostly independent of the local school board, because they would be personally vested in their children's schools. That never happened; instead, for-profit charter operators from all over the country swooped in. The state comptroller's office reported yesterday that administrators of a charter school in Memphis spent $400,000 in public school funds on trips to Vegas, expensive meals and other personal expenses.

Since I don't see Vanderbilt sanctioning any boosters raising big money for NIL anytime soon, it's another example of how the rapidly changing college football environment is toxic for schools like VU.

Another nail in the coffin.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:54 pm Today's Austin newspaper has an article about UTexas boosters starting a $10miilion NIL fund for athletes. Whether the group will ever reach their dollar goal is questionable. But, the school does have many very wealthy alumni who support their athletics.

If Texas boosters do reach their goal, then in my view it is a perversion of the NIL intent. And, if they do reach their goal, then they will have a huge unfair recruiting advantage. Money has been a driving force in college sports. Now it is escalating to a new level. Sad. Yet, good for at least some college athletes.
Wondering about your take on why this is a perversion of the NIL intent. The basic intent is that kids can be paid for their name, image or likeness. All they have to do is perform a service and then get paid. So this fund could be organized to buy a bunch of UTexas gear and pay the kids to sign it.

Its a bad sign for those trying to compete against it, but I think this could easily meet the intent of the rule.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

It's well within the rules of NIL. College football is entering a wild wild west phase and the NCAA is powerless to stop it as federal courts and Congress instituted NIL, ignoring the warnings from the NCAA on possible repurcussions of it.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Didn’t you see this part:
*The group has been given a list of all NCAA-sanctioned team athletes (club sports not eligible).
*The athletes are putting their signatures on a giant poster that will be displayed at the offices etc. of all the contributors saying something like “We support these businesses.”
*Then the fund ($10 million or so) will be split annually among all the athletes who complete the season with their team.
*One exception is that walk-ons get a double share.
(No word on whether 2-sport athletes will get shares for both sports.)
*The athletes will also receive a form 1099 that is sent to the state and federal taxing agencies.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Wondering about your take on why this is a perversion of the NIL intent. The basic intent is that kids can be paid for their name, image or likeness. All they have to do is perform a service and then get paid. So this fund could be organized to buy a bunch of UTexas gear and pay the kids to sign it.

Its a bad sign for those trying to compete against it, but I think this could easily meet the intent of the rule.
[/quote]

I think the intent was for a player to sell his name, image or likeness to businesses, including media. There never was a discussion that I know of, where pools of money are put together by alums and boosters to pay athletes. The booster gets a signed picture of the player for $10,000 or whatever. Where does this end? What are the boundaries?

A related question is how much time do these athletes devote to raising money. The article about UTexas says that one prominent player has been approached by other players as to how he was able to cash in. So, he has started devoting his time as a kind of NIL advisor. Does he have time to study? Maybe, maybe not.

The coaches must feel that they are losing control of their players. Are the players more interested in playing, or in raising money?
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:33 pm Wondering about your take on why this is a perversion of the NIL intent. The basic intent is that kids can be paid for their name, image or likeness. All they have to do is perform a service and then get paid. So this fund could be organized to buy a bunch of UTexas gear and pay the kids to sign it.

I think the intent was for a player to sell his name, image or likeness to businesses, including media. There never was a discussion that I know of, where pools of money are put together by alums and boosters to pay athletes. The booster gets a signed picture of the player for $10,000 or whatever. Where does this end? What are the boundaries?

A related question is how much time do these athletes devote to raising money. The article about UTexas says that one prominent player has been approached by other players as to how he was able to cash in. So, he has started devoting his time as a kind of NIL advisor. Does he have time to study? Maybe, maybe not.

The coaches must feel that they are losing control of their players. Are the players more interested in playing, or in raising money?
[/quote]

Welcome to the new world. To answer your question about how much time some players are committing to making money, Quinn Ewers was the number 1 recruit last year and chose Ohio St. Out of three choices football, classes, and making money; he chose classes and making money, which didn't leave much time for football. Entered the transfer portal today without cracking the top 3 on the depth chart but does have over a mill in NIL money already.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

The new UTexas twist on NIL. A new group has put together an NIL fund for offensive linemen. Each offensive lineman will be paid $50,000 per year to appear at charitable events. That money is in addition to what the players can earn on their own in NIL.

It appears that another fund has been started for tight ends.

Where does this all end up? Will it become a bidding war for players, survival of the fittest (oh, richest)? Darwin would be proud.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Another Texas NIL initiative was announced today:

Every Texas Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship will get $50,000 annually for use of their name, image and likeness to support charitable causes, a new nonprofit entity announced Monday.

Horns with Heart said “The Pancake Factory” would start in August 2022. The organization said it hopes to expand the program to other football position groups and Longhorns athletes in the future. The name comes from the “pancake” blocks linemen sometimes do during play.

The Horns With Heart announcement said it was founded by six Texas alumni and supporters “”with experience across multiple industries and disciplines to make a positive impact on local communities,” but did not say who they are. Horns With Heart did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.

https://apnews.com/article/college-foot ... SocialFlow
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

So, I'm plodding along on the OL, taking hits on every down, and the big-man-on-campus QB I'm sworn to protect is making a cool million or more and the fleet-footed, slim and trim wide receivers who attract all the cheerleaders are pulling in $800,000 and all I get is a lousy $50K....hmmm.

On the positive side, I'm learning about 21st Century American capitalism to make up for not paying attention in Econ 101.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:44 pm So, I'm plodding along on the OL, taking hits on every down, and the big-man-on-campus QB I'm sworn to protect is making a cool million or more and the fleet-footed, slim and trim wide receivers who attract all the cheerleaders are pulling in $800,000 and all I get is a lousy $50K....hmmm.

On the positive side, I'm learning about 21st Century American capitalism to make up for not paying attention in Econ 101.

But if I am an offensive lineman at Vandy, what do a get? Maybe zilch. The teams with the do re me will become richer, while those without will fall even more behind in recruiting.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:44 pm So, I'm plodding along on the OL, taking hits on every down, and the big-man-on-campus QB I'm sworn to protect is making a cool million or more and the fleet-footed, slim and trim wide receivers who attract all the cheerleaders are pulling in $800,000 and all I get is a lousy $50K....hmmm.

But if I am an offensive lineman at Vandy, what do a get? Maybe zilch. The teams with the do re me will become richer, while those without will fall even more behind in recruiting.
I totally agree with you. See my conclusion in my first post in this thread: another nail in the coffin. VU certainly has wealthy alumni like UTA -- but it probably has far fewer of them simply because of its size. Are they willing to raise money for this purpose? I'd say that's to be determined. Given the ugly, asymmetrical luxury party boxes pictured in the renderings of the stadium improvements, VUAD apparently believes some of them will spend it on that at least.

There's an interesting article on the overall subject today in the Chronicle of Higher Education: ‘Student-Athlete’ Has Always Been a Lie
katmai
Rear Admiral

B

Post by katmai »

LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 pm

Still unsure how this will all play out eventually, but I just think NIL is going to give the top teams an even bigger advantage. Quinn Ewers was the BACKUP QB at Ohio State, and he made over $1 Million in NIL earnings. Good luck convincing any top player to go to anywhere that doesn't have those kind of opportunities available to them. You really are talking about the top 8-10 schools that could do that.

If Jeff Bezos wanted to make Vanderbilt a top football school, for a mere $12.75 Million annually, you could pay every scholarship player $150,000 annually to endorse Amazon.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... fer-portal
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

If anyone really wants to see what the long-term impact of NIL will have on the future of (former) collegiate football take a peek at the recruiting class Texas A&M is pulling in this year.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

it will be interesting to see how long these boosters / businesses are willing to invest in players that may never play, turn out to be no good or take a hike into the transfer portal after a year...perhaps the Oklahoma folks who "invested" in Spencer Rattler are re-thinking their decision
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

It probably is too early to know the long-term effects of all this, but you can forget about us beating a school like Texas for a kid. We may have done it here and there in the past (that's a strong maybe) but in the future we won't be able to compete with a school that offers free schooling and $50,000 a year.

Not that all (or any) of the kids will save the money, but if they did and invested it they'd have $2M by the time they're 60. Truly incredible to think about.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Quinn Ewers that I referenced above has eliminated TCU from contention and is down to top 2 bidders (yes, bidders). Unknown what Texas Tech is offering in terms of NIL but the offer from Texas is being reported as "NFL first round draft pick" money at 4.3 million.
Locked Previous topicNext topic